Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,435 times

Advertisements

It's not that I'm a hippie, I'm not. If I had been born at the right time perhaps. But I certainly like unique neighborhoods, easy going people, funky shops, and I appreciate people who like to fly their "Freak Flag" just a little higher than the rest of us. Does Greensboro have this? You know...murals, etc.
What about the Glendale area? Could it be seen this way, or is it more like run down? Thanks for your uncensored input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I dont know about living as particular neighborhoods but there is some funky shops around Greensboro that you will like. I am having trouble thinking of the name but there is one that is full of eye candy this place is pack with stuff off Elm St. You have to turn around look up and down and you will see something new.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,580 times
I like going to Mellow Mushroom in Winston-Salem to see what I consider "normal" people with piercings and dreads, etc. I am from southern CA, so I am having a hard time adjusting to the lack of interesting looks around here...I also like walking down Trade St. in downtown W-S, but I don't know much about Greensboro.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,947 times
Ok Greensboro has exactly what you are looking for. Tate Street next to UNCG. Funky shops, college kids, skaters, hippies, punk rockers, you name it. Many of them congregate there esp. during the warmer months. Also they have a Tate Street festival twice a year.

Also, there's a great shop on State Street (not TATE, but STATE) st. in Greensboro (much pricier shops there) called Eclectic By Nature run by a client of mine, Tavane, that would be right up your alley.

As far as buying, Glenwood is the area. Many freaky people (including myself) have lived there over the years. Also the most Diverse neighborhood in town, and housing is cheap. Not to mention the revitalization plans going on right now. And it's right across Lee Street from UNCG.

Peircings and dreads abound in this town.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
And if you ever make it to Charlotte...check out NODA!

North Davidson Arts District. You will see just about everything there. They have Art Gallery Crawls every 1st & 3rd Fridays year around...noda.org.

We also have an Art Gallery Crawl in SouthEnd as well year round (forgot their website).

Enjoy NC!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 PM

71 posts, read 284,979 times
I must agree, Glenwood is up-and-coming and good for the progressive types like myself.

It's just itching for revitalization... the proximity to downtown and UNCG are just irresistible!

But yeah, check out Lindley Park as well as the College Hill/Tate Street areas. The corner of Walker Ave. and Elam Ave. is pretty awesome (In Lindley Park) They have a bar/music venue (Blind Tiger)/neat smaller grocery store (BestWay), a couple of restaurants and a new one opening up. It's going to be a clay oven pizzeria (Locals might know it's on the old site of The Wild Magnolia)

I like State Street Shops and all, but I really wouldn't give it a bohemian vibe. It does have a great coffee shop there and Eclectic by Nature, but I see it as more upscale. This isn't bad or anything, though.

Also, the Aycock neighborhood just outside of downtown (off of Summit Ave.) should be worth looking!

I'm a college student at UNCG, only 20, but I'm Greensboro born and raised. I love this city and if I stay here, these neighborhoods is where I'd like to settle down.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 9,729 times
Smile Other neighborhood suggestion

I agree with all the neighborhoods listed so far. Another is Sunset Hills- higher priced homes ($400K avg.) than what's been listed but don't know your price range. Lots pf professors, lawyers and artists live in Sunset Hills. It backs up to UNCG and Elam, Tate and Walker streets (great funky shopping, cool eateries!). I've lived in GSO for 25 years. Happy to help!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 AM

28 posts, read 162,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
Ok Greensboro has exactly what you are looking for. Tate Street next to UNCG. Funky shops, college kids, skaters, hippies, punk rockers, you name it. Many of them congregate there esp. during the warmer months. Also they have a Tate Street festival twice a year.....As far as buying, Glenwood is the area. Many freaky people (including myself) have lived there over the years. Also the most Diverse neighborhood in town, and housing is cheap. Not to mention the revitalization plans going on right now. And it's right across Lee Street from UNCG.

Peircings and dreads abound in this town.

Good luck!
I have to agree... Tate Street and Glenwood area is your diversity-choice for Greensboro - cool shops, black fingernails, mohawks, college-attendees, college-stuck-in-a-timewarp-hanging out types and college-wannabes... used to be my hood...LOVED it !!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM

525 posts, read 2,122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caodhan View Post
I must agree, Glenwood is up-and-coming and good for the progressive types like myself.

But yeah, check out Lindley Park as well as the College Hill/Tate Street areas. The corner of Walker Ave. and Elam Ave. is pretty awesome (In Lindley Park) They have a bar/music venue (Blind Tiger)/neat smaller grocery store (BestWay), a couple of restaurants and a new one opening up. It's going to be a clay oven pizzeria (Locals might know it's on the old
They are certainly working on it, with the district overlay being approved.

and neal's new place (old Wild Mag) is called Sticks and Stones but it still ain't open yet.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM

17 posts, read 79,051 times
Anyone have anything to offer about High Point in this same funky vein??? for a couple of old (46/52) hipsters who love live music and are considering a move to High Point b/c of the price of gas versus proximity to our jobs? Our friends are mostly in Raleigh, but we have pinpointed High Point as the center of our universe in terms of the other factors which, SO unfortunately, must be placed before friends and live music. So what's the good word on High Point funkiness, or is there any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point