Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,921 times

Advertisements

The 4G wifi internet? I know it used to be clearwire and I know it used to suck, I had it, but I've heard many good things since they came back. I'm tired of AT&Ts horrible service and ignoring the problems I'm having with the second modem they've given me. They refuse to listen to the problem and won't offer any help to fix it. I won't go back to Time Warner, I went to AT&T to get away from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM

273 posts, read 950,264 times
I've got clear 4g and depending on where I'm at, it is either great or good. At my home, I have a very strong signal and around 10mbs download speeds. At the other location I use it, I must be on the fringe of the tower, and while I still get 5mbs dl speeds, the latency is much slower. This slow latency means it's really tough to watch streaming video unless you let it buffer for quite a while. The really amazing thing is the upload speeds which have hit 1.5mbs, but constantly around 1mbs. Compared to TWC's 256kbs it makes a huge difference when uploading a 1gb zip file to an ftp.

Personally, I have kept Time Warner because of the quality and speed I've had with them. I know everyone has had different experiences, but here, my dl speeds are around 15mbs and I haven't had anything to complain about other than the price. But since I use netflix online and hulu for my tv source, I needed the quality download speeds TWC offers.

If you do try clear 4g, make sure you get it without the contract. When I signed up it was essentially the same price for equipment and monthly service, otherwise they do "get" you with a 2 yr contract. Also, if you are only going to use it at home, get the router box over the usb adapter. The signal strength is much better with the box, but if you only have one computer at home or will use it all around the place, the usb is great option. It really is hard to pass up the offers they have for high speed internet.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM

882 posts, read 766,600 times
Default Clear

Make sure you have a good signal before you agree to it. We are in Jamestown and the service was horrible!!!!. Had to go crawling back to Time Warner.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM

84 posts, read 216,914 times
It's good for general browsing, bad for gaming or anything that requires a quick connection.

Sometimes it will go out, but it's fairly rare.

This is based on using it at PTI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point