Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times

Advertisements

I have some family members that live in Greensboro and they really want me to consider it there. My biggest reason for NOT liking it is stupid, such as I don't want to be another hour and half away from the ocean... Other than that I don't have a legitimate reason to NOT consider it.

It seems maybe slightly less than Raleigh when I look at new construction... but not so crazy of a deal that its irresistable.

Is there any reason to avoid Greensboro? I would like to know specifics and not just something like "it sucks" If you think that, I want to know why?

I prefer larger wooded lots and was leaning towards wake forest in raleigh area. To me that area seems close enough to conveniences and entertainment but feels a little more in line with nature.

I don't care if I live in the "hub" of all the nightlife really, so that wouldn't bother me about greensboro. I do have kids and think about schooling - I have heard mostly good about wake schools, except for the overcrowded & bussing stories which will sort itself out i'm sure in time, but on the other hand, I really heard nothing about greensboro.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 PM

25 posts, read 109,966 times
Default Not too too bad

My brother, and many other family members live in Greensboro, and don't seem to mind it. Personally, there's not much good downtown to me. There's scruffy down town, and that's about it (my opinion). But, there are plenty of good places to live in Greensboro, but I would suggest you check it out first- some are sketchy.

And the traffic by where 85 and 40 merge is TERRIBLE!!! as in, every time I drive by there I see at least one accident, so everyone stops and sees what happened. But, that's easily avoidable.

Another thing to consider are the very close by "suburbs", such as High Point, to the W of G-boro.

I am from the Raleigh area, and must say I am very partial to the Raleigh area, it's easier to get around, and there's just more to do. In my opinion, it's prettier too.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAStudent View Post
My brother, and many other family members live in Greensboro, and don't seem to mind it. Personally, there's not much good downtown to me. There's scruffy down town, and that's about it (my opinion). But, there are plenty of good places to live in Greensboro, but I would suggest you check it out first- some are sketchy.

And the traffic by where 85 and 40 merge is TERRIBLE!!! as in, every time I drive by there I see at least one accident, so everyone stops and sees what happened. But, that's easily avoidable.

Another thing to consider are the very close by "suburbs", such as High Point, to the W of G-boro.

I am from the Raleigh area, and must say I am very partial to the Raleigh area, it's easier to get around, and there's just more to do. In my opinion, it's prettier too.
Cool, thanks for the input!

Anyone else out there know much about greensboro?

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I only know about greensboro from the perspective of going to college there (I graduated from guilford college), and I liked greensboro. Yes, the housing prices are less than raleigh, it is definitely has a family feel. The downside to me, (coming from someone who grew up in chapel hill and now lives in wake forest) is that it is a little too conservative for me. Greensboro has a definite feel of "old money" traditional southern conservative. That is not a bad thing, just not my thing.

I feel like there is more diversity in the raleigh area, and that is important to me, so greensboro wasn't an option.

Leigh

Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I only know about greensboro from the perspective of going to college there (I graduated from guilford college), and I liked greensboro. Yes, the housing prices are less than raleigh, it is definitely has a family feel. The downside to me, (coming from someone who grew up in chapel hill and now lives in wake forest) is that it is a little too conservative for me. Greensboro has a definite feel of "old money" traditional southern conservative. That is not a bad thing, just not my thing.

I feel like there is more diversity in the raleigh area, and that is important to me, so greensboro wasn't an option.

Leigh
Nice to know... thanks leighbe...

that is the type of thing you would never know until you move there and find out later that you don't fit in...

thats definitely not my thing either especially coming from out of town...

Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
Leigh,

Would you consider Guilford a liberal college?
Where does the Wake Forest fit on the liberal-conservative spectrum?

Thanks,
Alice

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Guilford is very liberal, quaker college. But, when you are at guilford you are in your own little world.............the majority of students at guilford are not from north carolina, they are from the north east. not many students tend to stay in greensboro after graduation either.

As far as wake forest goes, it is probably more conservative than chapel hill, but it doesn't have the conservative old money type of feel that greensboro has...

People here seem to live and let live, lots of newcomers so everyone is learning their way, it just seems a little more progressive here, but I am sure you can find people to say the opposite!

Leigh

Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I have some family members that live in Greensboro and they really want me to consider it there. My biggest reason for NOT liking it is stupid, such as I don't want to be another hour and half away from the ocean... Other than that I don't have a legitimate reason to NOT consider it.

I don't find that stupid at all... proximity to the ocean is exactly one of the things I like about Raleigh - without having to give up access to some of the things you can't find in a much smaller city like Wilmington (dining, shopping, sports, nightlife, etc). With Greensboro, it's much closer to Charlotte and the mountains, if those things are important to you - but I'm a beach frequenter by nature, and just the same, I happen to like the Raleigh area for it is. And, what it will be... of course.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmk View Post
I don't find that stupid at all... proximity to the ocean is exactly one of the things I like about Raleigh - without having to give up access to some of the things you can't find in a much smaller city like Wilmington (dining, shopping, sports, nightlife, etc). With Greensboro, it's much closer to Charlotte and the mountains, if those things are important to you - but I'm a beach frequenter by nature, and just the same, I happen to like the Raleigh area for it is. And, what it will be... of course.
Thanks for the reassurance!!

I am currently landlocked and it takes like 7 hours to get to the California coast... so every hour I can shave off counts!!!

I don't care how great a place is doing... if its in an area far from the coast, I wouldn't even consider it after living here in the desert for far too long!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 20,919 times
Try Winston-Salem, Greensboro is full of crime .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point