Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

single mother of two considering move to Triad area, needing information on; family neighborhoods, rentals, job opportunities in insurance, good public schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 AM

37 posts, read 128,287 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking for some kind of help - any kind of help advise, personal stories - anything!!!

I am a single mom of two boys (8 and 9) living in WI right now. I am sick of the icky weather along with other things - and I am planning on moving to Greensboro in the Spring of '09.

A friend of mine from South Carolina went up and got me a local paper from the 'triad area' in NC - I looked at apartment listings and was just overwhelmed; I have no idea where these places are...

Here are my questions...

The boys will be going to Public School
What public schools are better than others?

I currently work in the insurance field in billing and maintenance - I don't have to stay in this field - but would like to. Prior to this I was a corporate trainer for a large retail chaing. Where are the most/best job opportunites?

I plan on renting when we first get there...what are some good buildings, neighborhoods - and what areas; side of town should I avoid.

I know these are a lot of questions - but I want to be prepared when I fvisit in July, I want to visit the right places and check out the 'wrong' ones so I know where not to live; LOL.

Thank you - thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 AM

52 posts, read 188,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds52376 View Post
The boys will be going to Public School
What public schools are better than others?

I currently work in the insurance field in billing and maintenance - I don't have to stay in this field - but would like to. Prior to this I was a corporate trainer for a large retail chaing. Where are the most/best job opportunites?

I plan on renting when we first get there...what are some good buildings, neighborhoods - and what areas; side of town should I avoid.
ok... lets start with elementary schools...Morehead, Sternberger, General Greene, Lindley, Jefferson, Brightwood and Claxton. I would say that those are the good ones

Middle Schools: Kernodle or Mendenhall would be my first choices. probably kernodle overall. Guilford middle would be next and then Kiser.

High Schools: Western Guilford, Northern Guilford(New School), Grimsley (my alma mater but currently in the middle of a thug problem), Eastern Guilford (new school being built after old one burned down), Southwest, Ragsdale, Page, Northwest....those are pretty much in the order i would pick.

Jobs: Insurance and medical type jobs shouldn't be a problem. Lincoln Financial's insurance division has the tallest building downtown. Health South, BCBS and various others are around town. Moses Cone Health System has 3 of the 4 hospitals around here. that shouldn't be much of a problem. if you were interested in nursing or teaching, we have a shortage and you can get some serious bonuses. check out Front Page : TriadCareers : News-Record.com for local listing around here. the main newspaper is Front Page : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

look for apartments North, Northwest or west of downtown. I would stay away from Colonial Apartments, Elm St. Commons, Ridgewood apartments and some others that i can't think of right now.

Lake Brandt area apartments are great, cotswold area, New Garden isn't bad. I used to remember all of these before i bought a house.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Distorted,

Thank you for all the advice and direction!!! You have been very helpful - I can't wait to come visit!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,016 times
You really can't go wrong with northwest Greensboro and northwest Guilford County. Good schools and a safe area. Eastern Greensboro has the worst reputation, probably followed by southeastern Greensboro.

You can check out school report cards here:

Advanced Search Results Page

Click on the Performance and safety tabs.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
I'm a Realtor in the area and would be glad to answer any questions you have. Thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Tlynch1

Thank you; i don't plan on buying right away - but renting - do you have any advice, or can you point me in any directions - thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,374 times
Latham Park Manor (see link blow) on Hill street near downtown has some nice brick condos/townhouses and ranch style apartments at good prices. I live in the neighborhood and there is never any crime and is convenient to everything. Also the apartments are right next to latham park (hence the name), there are tennis courts, baseball field and a nice jogging trail. Also, on the same web site is Lindley Park Manor, which is also nice and in a good location (next to a park). Sherwood Apartments are not good (in my opinion) and I would avoid them (on the same web site).

Fidelity Realty, Co.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM

D-Random,

Thank you for the help; I will be sure to check those out on my visit this summer!! I'm sooo looking forward to this - thanks again!

Kathy

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,374 times
Glad to help Kathy. There is a map on the web site I supplied which will make it easy to find those apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds52376 View Post
D-Random,

Thank you for the help; I will be sure to check those out on my visit this summer!! I'm sooo looking forward to this - thanks again!

Kathy

Old 07-04-2008, 06:32 AM

21 posts, read 107,847 times
Default You should look at Kernersville

My Wife and I moved down from Indy last fall and are very glad we chose Kernersville. Its a really nice town in the heart of the Triad, between Winston Salem, Greensboro and High point (about 20 minutes to each). So Job wise you have many places to choose from. It is a nice town with low crime, and it has many new shopping areas including a very new shopping center with Walmart, Target, Blockbuster, Panera, Groceries and lots of other stuff. And they are building a really nice new outdoor shopping/entertainment complex on the south side of town. Lots of transplants here from the midwest and all over. My wife and I had no trouble feeling right at home. There are some very nice apartments off of south main, near the walmart, etc and lots of new housing available, as well as a lot of established neighborhoods as well. The area is growing quickly.

hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point