Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In any case its doubtful the Triad would ever land a AAA team due to territorial rights. Thats really the reason Raleigh doesnt have a baseball team because of the Durham Bulls. Greensboro and Winston-Salem really do need to be in AA league though
This is why the team has to play out in Zebulon...I believe it's just barely far enough from Durham. And the Triad certainly won't get a AAA team with Charlotte having one. I think both G'boro and Winston's facilities could definitely warrant a AA team at either (or both) location, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,022,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
This is why the team has to play out in Zebulon...I believe it's just barely far enough from Durham. And the Triad certainly won't get a AAA team with Charlotte having one. I think both G'boro and Winston's facilities could definitely warrant a AA team at either (or both) location, however.
The Triad could certainly have enough support for AA (frankly the difference in fan support between High-A and AA isn't much at all). However, one of the big differences between High-A and AA is the locations of the leagues. Granted, the Eastern League's Richmond Flying Squirrels are about three and a half hours away and Kodak in the Southern League is slightly further. But I'm not sure I see either league expanding to NC. Especially with the Charlotte Knights and Durham Bulls already here.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,158,561 times
A little news clip about High Point's planned downtown ballpark and anot urban mixed use development*

Ray Gibbs working to make downtown High Point vibrant | myfox8.com

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,512,773 times
I have to wonder when the stadium is built if it will be off limits to residents during the market to use it for entertaining market attendees, like they do with the rest of the downtown area.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:15 AM

I know why the furniture market is closed to the public. Retailers would cringe if the public could purchase furniture and home furnishings at the market. They want the consumer to purchase through them. However, I think it would be great for tourism if they allowed the public to at least come inside the showrooms and look. Btw High Point badly needs one or two parking decks downtown. Downtown is not a good place to park for other businesses during the furniture market.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I have to wonder when the stadium is built if it will be off limits to residents during the market to use it for entertaining market attendees, like they do with the rest of the downtown area.
I wouldn't have a problem with this. The team could schedule road games during the spring market, and the season is over before the fall market.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 PM

Im actually amazed at how quickly this stadium plan is moving along especially with a $30 million price tag. It took Greensboro 6 years from concept to opening day with a $23 million price tag. But that was 2005 construction costs. High Point's stadium will be smaller and almost $10 million more expensive. The city of High Point has already received 3 RFQ responses for the stadium. High Point is really doing this. One big difference between what High Point is doing compared to what Greensboro and Winston-Salem did is that this will be a multi purpose stadium. Yes it will be configured primarily for baseball but it will be designed for football, soccer and concerts. In Greensboro and Winston-Salem, when baseball season is over the stadium is dead but High Point will be hosting events before and after baseball season at least when the weather is not cold. I think the challenge for High Point is having concerts and some other events without damaging the field for baseball. Renderings show spectators all in the field during concerts.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-28-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I know why the furniture market is closed to the public. Retailers would cringe if the public could purchase furniture and home furnishings at the market. They want the consumer to purchase through them. However, I think it would be great for tourism if they allowed the public to at least come inside the showrooms and look. Btw High Point badly needs one or two parking decks downtown. Downtown is not a good place to park for other businesses during the furniture market.
There are some showrooms that are open to the public that sell market samples. Naturally not during the market.

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with this. The team could schedule road games during the spring market, and the season is over before the fall market.
The stadium is being billed as multi-use, not just baseball. High Point will bring in entertainment during the market that the public is not allowed to attend.
The end result is High Point will bring in entertainment and use the stadium during the market that will be off limits to the public. Still okay with that?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The stadium is being billed as multi-use, not just baseball. High Point will bring in entertainment during the market that the public is not allowed to attend.
The end result is High Point will bring in entertainment and use the stadium during the market that will be off limits to the public. Still okay with that?
Sure, for a couple weeks out of the year. I try to stay away from HP during the market anyway.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Sure, for a couple weeks out of the year. I try to stay away from HP during the market anyway.
I try to stay away from HP all year. It annoys my friends.
I see you live in Winston, so it can't be that hard to do. Being an ex-resident it's a s****y feeling when the city you live in only cares about an exaggerated twice per year event while effectively ignoring residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point