Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 28,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm from Raleigh and have been working as a server in the restaurant industry for years, while going to school and pursuing another career full time. Raleigh has become way too expensive for me and I'm looking into possibly moving to Greensboro or Winston Salem, as I've heard they each have a decent food scene and lower cost of living.

I'm wondering which city has more to offer restaurant wise (casual fine dining, not chains like Chilis or Applebees or bars with pub food only) and if any of you work/have worked/know of someone who's worked at restaurants in either place and if the ability to make a decent wage is there.

In Raleigh the higher end restaurants are quite plentiful and busy most days but I'm not sure if that's true for GB or WS. I've researched a few places which seem nice but it's hard to tell from their website, if they're actually thriving and have enough clientele to support their waitstaff.

If you're not a server and can't help me in that sense- does anyone have some "higher end" places they enjoy and can recommend?

This may not be the right forum to ask a question like this but I figured I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
I've never been a server in either city, so I can't speak to tip averages, etc., but here are some places that come to mind:

Winston-Salem:
Bernardin's, Willow's Bistro, Spring House, Ryan's (high-end independent steakhouse, not to be confused with the Ryan's Steakhouse chain), Mozelle's, Meridian, The Katharine Brasserie. There are quite a few more. I'm sure I'm missing some. One of my favorites, The Honey Pot, recently closed, which is a shame.

Greensboro:
Print Works, 1618, Green Valley Grill, Undercurrent. There are lots more, but I'm more familiar with restaurants in W-S.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 28,884 times
I'll check those out, thank you so much

Old 06-16-2017, 03:09 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Also look at Gia, Lucky 32 and Liberty Oak in Greensboro. Not way high end, but always busy. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Flemmings, Ruth's Chris, Leblon Brazilian Steakhouse in Greensboro.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Flemmings, Ruth's Chris, Leblon Brazilian Steakhouse in Greensboro.
Speaking of Brazilian steakhouses, a new one just opened in Winston-Salem as well called Cowboy. I haven't been yet, but it looks good.

And while not particularly high-end, the Crafted restaurants all seem to be pretty busy whenever I walk in and they aren't exactly cheap either. I've been to both Crafted restaurants in Greensboro several times and between me and my wife always walk always spending at least $40 (I always get at least a drink each and an appetizer at Art of the Taco and at Art of the Street Food I tend to be like "I'll have this, and this.... also this... how about this, etc"). There's also a replica of Art of the Taco in Winston-Salem now, but I've never been.

And there's also The Traveled Farmer in Greensboro. I haven't been yet, but I did go to Marshall Free House (the predecessor with the same owner) and I was impressed. In fact, everything in that general mid-town area has the same owner and I've enjoyed each place (Burger Warfare and Pig Pounder Brewery, which is my favorite brewery in the Triad).

Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan.Raine View Post
Hi all,

I'm from Raleigh and have been working as a server in the restaurant industry for years, while going to school and pursuing another career full time. Raleigh has become way too expensive for me and I'm looking into possibly moving to Greensboro or Winston Salem, as I've heard they each have a decent food scene and lower cost of living.

I'm wondering which city has more to offer restaurant wise (casual fine dining, not chains like Chilis or Applebees or bars with pub food only) and if any of you work/have worked/know of someone who's worked at restaurants in either place and if the ability to make a decent wage is there.

In Raleigh the higher end restaurants are quite plentiful and busy most days but I'm not sure if that's true for GB or WS. I've researched a few places which seem nice but it's hard to tell from their website, if they're actually thriving and have enough clientele to support their waitstaff.

If you're not a server and can't help me in that sense- does anyone have some "higher end" places they enjoy and can recommend?

This may not be the right forum to ask a question like this but I figured I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any input!
In the same boat myself as I'm moving from overpriced, underpaid Central FL and will also be looking for a professional waitstaff slot at a nicer casual fine dining/non-mega chain restaurant. From my research I get the sense that Greensboro's restaurants seem more consistently busy through the week (versus just weekends) but haven't had enough feedback or experience yet to determine. I'm leaning very heavily toward Greensboro, but am worried Winston Salem could wind up the better fit. Have you received more information supporting either instinct or can anyone else add? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM

410 posts, read 342,974 times
[quote=UnderTheLiveOaks;48521570]I've never been a server in either city, so I can't speak to tip averages, etc., but here are some places that come to mind:

Winston-Salem:
Bernardin's, Willow's Bistro, Spring House, Ryan's (high-end independent steakhouse, not to be confused with the Ryan's Steakhouse chain), Mozelle's, Meridian, The Katharine Brasserie. There are quite a few more. I'm sure I'm missing some. One of my favorites, The Honey Pot, recently closed, which is a shame.

Definitely check out Bernardin's and Spring House - both of these are located in downtown Winston. I would also add Jeffrey Adams on 4th Street and Sweet Potatoes on Trade St. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 4,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In the same boat myself as I'm moving from overpriced, underpaid Central FL and will also be looking for a professional waitstaff slot at a nicer casual fine dining/non-mega chain restaurant. From my research I get the sense that Greensboro's restaurants seem more consistently busy through the week (versus just weekends) but haven't had enough feedback or experience yet to determine. I'm leaning very heavily toward Greensboro, but am worried Winston Salem could wind up the better fit. Have you received more information supporting either instinct or can anyone else add? Thanks!
I moved lat year from Central FL too and used to be a server/ bartender.
I did look into a few restaurants up here but ended up applying for jobs into my first career choice and something I enjoy way more than serving lol (veterinary) since my husband had found a better paying job here
where are you in central FL ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point