Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has 3 Fresh Markets...3 Trader Joes (2 open and 1 fixing to open) and oodles and oodles of Harris Teeters (headquarted in Charlotte. Didn't keep Trader Joe's out of Charlotte.

Hope you guys get one soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 PM

92 posts, read 297,403 times
As busted as this economy is I'm surprised that stores like harris teeter and earth fare are still open. Trader Joes offers the same, if not better products, as both of those chains at a bargain basement price.

I used to love shopping at tj's (when i lived up north) because I could get a weeks worth of grocery for the same price, if not cheaper, as 4 days of grocery from a super wal-mart. I think this area would really benefit from having a tj or two around. It would probably put earth fare and harris teeter to shame pricewise, but they don't offer as great a variety (international foods) as these stores do.

Quality food selection, wonderful price (i believe they're owned by the same brothers who own Aldi)...gotta love tj's

Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Been to Trader Joe's in Charlotte. Didn't impress me one bit, don't know what all the hoopla is. I am glad we're getting a Fresh Market nearby, though.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
^^Oh no you didn't. Trader Joes is off the chain.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:58 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,501 times
WOW! Cheaper than Super Wal-Mart!?
In that case I would drop Super Wal-Mart in a second if TJ came to G-boro.
I never shop at harris teeter and earth fare, prices are obscene
and for what? A better looking store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_transplant07 View Post
As busted as this economy is I'm surprised that stores like harris teeter and earth fare are still open. Trader Joes offers the same, if not better products, as both of those chains at a bargain basement price.

I used to love shopping at tj's (when i lived up north) because I could get a weeks worth of grocery for the same price, if not cheaper, as 4 days of grocery from a super wal-mart. I think this area would really benefit from having a tj or two around. It would probably put earth fare and harris teeter to shame pricewise, but they don't offer as great a variety (international foods) as these stores do.

Quality food selection, wonderful price (i believe they're owned by the same brothers who own Aldi)...gotta love tj's

Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
WOW! Cheaper than Super Wal-Mart!?
In that case I would drop Super Wal-Mart in a second if TJ came to G-boro.
I never shop at harris teeter and earth fare, prices are obscene
and for what? A better looking store?
Harris Teeter usually has better cuts of meat.

We also have Reids Fine Foods in Charlotte (2 locations Uptown & Myers Park) and is probably time and 1/2 the price of Harris Teeter.

We have a Harris Teeter in Charlotte (SouthPark) that has Valet Parking and sells art work and is a big social meeting place for yuppies...can you imagine meeting your mate in the meat or produce department...lol?

Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 AM

8 posts, read 27,796 times
Greensboro needs new grocery stores. They're all awful and very expensive. Groceries in NJ are cheaper than here in NC and, on average, salaries are higher in NJ.

I would LOVE a Trader Joe's in Greensboro! The Fresh Market is ridiculously overpriced! and not even comparable to TJ.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_transplant07 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Trader Joes bringing a store to the Greensboro area? Is there a Whole Foods here in Greensboro?
There is a Whole Foods in Winston Salem, however with the exception of the house brands, the product lines between Whole Foods & Earthfare are very much the same.
Even in this "busted" economy both these stores are quite busy.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smannes View Post
Greensboro needs new grocery stores. They're all awful and very expensive. Groceries in NJ are cheaper than here in NC and, on average, salaries are higher in NJ.

I would LOVE a Trader Joe's in Greensboro! The Fresh Market is ridiculously overpriced! and not even comparable to TJ.
Out of curiousity what do you mean by awful? Is it product or brand quality & selection? Are you saying the stores are filthy? Or is it just because you can't get exactly the same brands here as you did in NJ?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,939 times
I live in Asheboro......talk about poor selection. I drive 1 1/2 hrs to the Trader Joe's in Cary. That's not terribly cost effective, but I love their product selection, healthier choices and price. I'm a fan and would lobby for any Trader Joe location nearer to Asheboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point