Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You've hit the nail on the head. Most times when either Charlotte or Raleigh are mentioned in one of these threads certain posters go into a pseudo frenzy. For some reason it's always taken as an attack on or belittlement of Greensboro, as though they don't measure up. It seems to be some sort of severe inferiority complex. And then these bizarre comments about W-S posters and that city, as though W-S has no right to have any aspirations of their own.

Comments in the Triad threads have become so schizophrenic and paranoid that at times, I can see why so many posters are either constantly on the defense or having to bring discussions back to reality. In these threads, it's always about comparisons and proving how your city is better than another city. If you visit most other threads, the tone seems to remain consistently civil, mature, and rational.
The point I was trying to make was that Greensboro and Winston-Salem are basically the same size with the same demographics, Greensboro being a little larger. It just didnt make any sense at all for people talking about a fantasy proposed made up tower with Amazon H2 being the tenant in Winston-Salem and talk about it like a real possibility and then Greensboro makes one list as a potential site and people go in attack mode on Greensboro. Winston has a shot but Greensboro doesnt? Keep in mind no one said Greensboro had a real shot. A few Winston-Salem posters did for their city and they were being dead serious. Its just bizarre and Greensboro does get attacked more than any of the five major cities in the state. No one said Winston-Salem shouldn't have aspirations. Greensboro has aspirations for landing Amazon but the reality is neither city is even a blip on Amazon's radar. Let the two cities dream on. But the Greensboro area is on Toyota/Mazda's radar so thats something the area can get excited about.

But you are right about Greensboro and Winston-Salem at least as far as the urban forums go and there is plenty of hatred that goes around towards Greensboro. For example this particular forum is primarily for Winston-Salem but has a Greensboro section. The posters are primarily from Winston-Salem and they would go crazy on you to the point at screaming at you with caps if you posted anything about development in Greensboro. And when they did post something on Greensboro its always bad news like a murder rate or a company closing. You don't see this in the Triangle forums. Durham and Raleigh posters talk about projects together and there is no animosity. Notice you rarely see Winston-Salem posters posting in "Triad" urban forums. There were some forum contributions from Winston-Salem in the past but its like they went dark ever since the announcments of the Aloft and Westin in Greensboro last December. I say all this because these attitudes are reflected in the communities but I do think the forums are much worse. I think if the two cities had worked together more decades ago the area would be in a better economic situation. But its a case of envy, lack of trust and both cities fighting to be top dog in the Triad. This is the root of the problem. The Triangle cities work together and its a big reason why RTP exists today and why its so successful. The Triad cities feel like they can go it alone but they will never reach their full potential unless they work together because the competition isn't with each other, its with cities like Atlanta.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-24-2017 at 12:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 04:44 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
I just want to say, was i the only one that missed all this hyping up of Winston Salem getting Amazon or this big tower coming to Winston that gsoboi keeps talking about? I literally never saw anything on that.

And wait this forum is a Winston-Salem forum with a Greensboro section? Did i miss something....i feel like this is all new info to me.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:26 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I just want to say, was i the only one that missed all this hyping up of Winston Salem getting Amazon or this big tower coming to Winston that gsoboi keeps talking about? I literally never saw anything on that.

And wait this forum is a Winston-Salem forum with a Greensboro section? Did i miss something....i feel like this is all new info to me.
I was using an entirely different forum as an example, not city-data. However many of its posters use to post here and at other forums like Urbanplanet, skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity. In fact you'll find that many people who post here post at all those forums as well.

But there is no true unity in the Triad. Greensboro and High Point have a pretty good relationship.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-24-2017 at 05:35 AM..

Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:

It's new info to me as well. I searched in the Triad threads and have found nothing regarding W-S planning this tower or making references to HQ2 being a tenant. Not even sure how/why it's relevant to what we were previously discussing.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:53 AM

I did a quick search of the Downtown Winston Salem Development thread on urbanplanet, and I didn't see any references to a 34 story tower nor Amazon HQ2.

I will say though, that W-S thread has a lot of good, informative info on current and planned projects in W-S and doesn't seem to be based only on hype and speculation.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 AM

239 posts, read 305,892 times
Quote:
Pretty sure i did say that Amazon is not coming here. Im almost 100% sure of it. But i think the reasonings behind Charlotte or Raleigh not getting it realistically is because of things like a lack of incentives/politics more then them actually not being worthy. You seem to be stuck on no north carolina city being a "big metro" and so therefore none of them have a chance. Im just simply looking at the rfp that wants bids from areas with a singular metro of at least 1m+. That could be a lie but thats what Amazon says. In that case Raleigh and Charlotte fit that bill. And actually fit it pretty decently for cities on the smaller end of that spectrum. The Triad on the other hand only meets the simple population requirement when it is counted as a whole. And then even as a whole it falls short of more of the rfp guidelines then Charlotte or Raleigh do.

It absolutely is still a long shot but it i dont think anybody groups the Triad/Triangle/Charlotte metros as having equal chances. If politics and incentives werent a factor the Triad simply wouldnt get the same consideration as the other two. Idk why that seems like a bad thing for you guys. The Triads great but it just wouldnt stand as tall for an opportunity like this.
I know the triad doesn't have a shot at all unless they want to be in the middle because raliegh and Charlotte are not ready to support it alone. What site will raliegh use? The same site that Toyota passed on? And what site is ready to support something like Amazon in Charlotte? Maybe in 2055 raliegh and Charlotte will be ready for amazon but not now. I just love how y'all want to act like raliegh and Charlotte actually have a chance lol stop!!! They might have 2% chance when the triad has a 0% chance. But if y'all want to continue to act like Charlotte and raliegh really have a 50% chance go right ahead live in a dream world.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Im on Urbanplanet as well and idk i don't remember a whole lot of anything from Winston posters. Especially not about a big tower. That certainly would have grabbed my attention. Ill have to go back and do some looking.

Regardless, whether or not there's a ton of animosity between WS and Gboro, i don't think its true that everyone else hates Gboro just to hate. Nobody is bashing the Toyota Mazda plant likely coming to Gboro over anywhere else in the state. That's awesome for the state as a whole but especially for the Triad. That's a fitting development. Amazon is not. There shouldn't be anything wrong in recognizing that.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:02 AM

239 posts, read 305,892 times
Toyota is looking at the triad over Charlotte and raliegh and that's a 1.6 billion dollar investment. So if Toyota the largest car company in the world would pick the triad over raliegh or Charlotte why are you so sure amazon wouldn't? Just a question there both Giant companies. I know amazon is not coming to Nc period but since y'all want to act like Charlotte and raliegh have a realistic shot but the triad doesn't please explain why Toyota chose the triad and not those massive city's

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
Toyota is looking at the triad over Charlotte and raliegh and that's a 1.6 billion dollar investment. So if Toyota the largest car company in the world would pick the triad over raliegh or Charlotte why are you so sure amazon wouldn't? Just a question there both Giant companies. I know amazon is not coming to Nc period but since y'all want to act like Charlotte and raliegh have a realistic shot but the triad doesn't please explain why Toyota chose the triad and not those massive city's
Since when has Toyota chose the Triad? Has the decision already been made? Are you even clear on the differences between Toyota/Mazda requirements and Amazon requirements for a site?

You're making my case perfectly when I say that these threads are schizophrenic and paranoid.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I know the triad doesn't have a shot at all unless they want to be in the middle because raliegh and Charlotte are not ready to support it alone. What site will raliegh use? The same site that Toyota passed on? And what site is ready to support something like Amazon in Charlotte? Maybe in 2055 raliegh and Charlotte will be ready for amazon but not now. I just love how y'all want to act like raliegh and Charlotte actually have a chance lol stop!!! They might have 2% chance when the triad has a 0% chance. But if y'all want to continue to act like Charlotte and raliegh really have a 50% chance go right ahead live in a dream world.
Look i get it. You firmly believe that Amazon is going to a mega city. I don't necessarily disagree. But as i stated before, the rfp is not asking for only mega cities. And Amazon won't be bringing everything at once. If i remember right they want at least 500,000sqft by 2019 minimum. I can't speak on as much with Charlotte but i know that the Triangle bid submitted several locations for Amazon to consider including open space right now in RTP. There's also a couple office tower proposals that are a small tweak away from offering that space. You cant say there aren't places ready to start with Amazon without having information lol.

The chances are no where near 50% but im sorry they're also not as low as the Triads. Multiple media outlets have Charlotte and especially Raleigh on there radar. Never much higher then a top 10 spot (not including the ridiculous CNBC article) but there's not exactly bad for 200+ cities that put bids in.

Please stop confusing us for saying that just because the Triad has no chance means the other two metros will get it lol. We're just saying there are more legitimate reasons why Amazon might at least take a second look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point