Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 01:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Look i understand what you're saying and all but analytics aside we all know what Amazon means when they ask for a singular metro of 1million+. Reality often trumps just raw numbers. Why do you think now all of a sudden the Triad is putting in a joint bid?? No city in the Triad alone qualifies. A big company like this is not dumb. They know exactly how many people depend on any given city for work or influence. Greensboro's bid as a singular one would really stretch who they could claim are people that are influenced by the city itself.

Now the Triad CSA as a whole sure absolutely has enough people but yet again, from the jump, its put clearly for all of us that a CSA setup like the Triad is not at all what they are looking for.

Like i said, no foul putting in for it i guess but its literally irrelevant other then to maybe shine light on the area for other much smaller amazon projects.
Ultimately, the whole point of asking for a million people in the area wasn't necessarily to eliminate medium sized areas from putting together a ridiculous package (incentives and the like are going to play a huge role here and is a reason why the state of NC is likely to be a non-factor). It was really more to make sure that you didn't have podunk areas like Greenville, NC putting in bids and clogging up time and resources.

They're happy to hear from the Greensboros, the Norfolks, and the Richmonds. But outside of an outrageous incentives package from a medium sized city, it doesn't really matter. They aren't going to be listening too closely to bids from areas that have populations below 2-3 million.

And yes, I'm aware that the reason that it's a joint bid is because to claim to meet the million person threshold, Greensboro needs all three "major" Triad cities. But those cities benefit in a big way if Greensboro lands Amazon (they won't). Really it's kinda like a group project in class with that one super Type A person who decides they'll do all the work and allow everyone else to have their name on it too.

IMO, the REAL motivation behind putting in a bid isn't to attract HQ2 (because I can't imagine the leaders here seriously believe they have a chance in hell). I think it's more to tout the benefits of this area in case Amazon DOES have a need for some kind of smaller operation in the future (whether it be distribution facility and/or some kind of satellite campus for a few hundred well-paid employees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 02:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Ultimately, the whole point of asking for a million people in the area wasn't necessarily to eliminate medium sized areas from putting together a ridiculous package (incentives and the like are going to play a huge role here and is a reason why the state of NC is likely to be a non-factor). It was really more to make sure that you didn't have podunk areas like Greenville, NC putting in bids and clogging up time and resources.

They're happy to hear from the Greensboros, the Norfolks, and the Richmonds. But outside of an outrageous incentives package from a medium sized city, it doesn't really matter. They aren't going to be listening too closely to bids from areas that have populations below 2-3 million.

And yes, I'm aware that the reason that it's a joint bid is because to claim to meet the million person threshold, Greensboro needs all three "major" Triad cities. But those cities benefit in a big way if Greensboro lands Amazon (they won't). Really it's kinda like a group project in class with that one super Type A person who decides they'll do all the work and allow everyone else to have their name on it too.

IMO, the REAL motivation behind putting in a bid isn't to attract HQ2 (because I can't imagine the leaders here seriously believe they have a chance in hell). I think it's more to tout the benefits of this area in case Amazon DOES have a need for some kind of smaller operation in the future (whether it be distribution facility and/or some kind of satellite campus for a few hundred well-paid employees).
Yep agreed. Especially with the actual purpose behind that bid. No doubt the Triad will land some type of amazon project in the future. It is nearly a perfect spot for a distribution center.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Yep agreed. Especially with the actual purpose behind that bid. No doubt the Triad will land some type of amazon project in the future. It is nearly a perfect spot for a distribution center.
Maybe, but Amazon already has 2 distribution centers in the Charlotte area.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Maybe, but Amazon already has 2 distribution centers in the Charlotte area.
There is also one in Durham/RTP.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Sounding a lot like GSOCitizen now arent we?

You can tell yourself whatever you want to justify Greensboro or the Triad for that matter meeting the requirements but they simply don't. Maybe if everyone at Amazon were idiots they would consider a Greensboro bid that included a 1.6 million metro but anybody with half a brain knows that is a fantasy and knows that is not the type of metro amazon is asking for. If there HQ was already located in a smaller city with a mid size CSA then maybe you could use that as context but thats not the case. CSA anyways is nearly a worthless measurement of scale for determining a cities size or influence. Especially with a region like the Triad that for the most part doesnt have a whole lot to do with eachother. This isnt a Dallas-Ftworth, Raleigh-Durham, or Minneapolis St.Paul type of CSA. About the only thing Greensboro and Winston have with eachother is location.

Nothing is stopping Greensboro from putting in a bid, they can gobfor it all they want, but to try and say that their CSA is enough to get them even a consideration is a joke.
I'm not sounding like anyone. The fact of the matter is that Greensboro would actually meet the metropolitan population requirement, even if on a "technicality." I'm almost certain that Amazon will go to a top 10 metro and that the Triad has a snowball's chance in hell of landing HQ2, but Amazon is the one that made 1 million the minimum population requirement so take it up with Amazon, not me. And consider that the 1.6M population spread of the Triad would still be the same had the OMB not adjusted their commuting threshold requirements--and some would say that adjustment was somewhat arbitrary.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sounding like anyone. The fact of the matter is that Greensboro would actually meet the metropolitan population requirement, even if on a "technicality." I'm almost certain that Amazon will go to a top 10 metro and that the Triad has a snowball's chance in hell of landing HQ2, but Amazon is the one that made 1 million the minimum population requirement so take it up with Amazon, not me. And consider that the 1.6M population spread of the Triad would still be the same had the OMB not adjusted their commuting threshold requirements--and some would say that adjustment was somewhat arbitrary.
Right lol. Greensboro felt awful confident in that technicality huh? Now its a Triad joint bid. No kidding. Wonder what thats all about hhmmmm...

Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 AM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Right lol. Greensboro felt awful confident in that technicality huh? Now its a Triad joint bid. No kidding. Wonder what thats all about hhmmmm...
As I mentioned before--and I think I was the first one to make this point in this thread--it's probably a move to get Greensboro's name out there for some future Amazon-related developments that would be more appropriate for the region.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As I mentioned before--and I think I was the first one to make this point in this thread--it's probably a move to get Greensboro's name out there for some future Amazon-related developments that would be more appropriate for the region.
Yep i completely agree on that

Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Sounding a lot like GSOCitizen now arent we?

You can tell yourself whatever you want to justify Greensboro or the Triad for that matter meeting the requirements but they simply don't. Maybe if everyone at Amazon were idiots they would consider a Greensboro bid that included a 1.6 million metro but anybody with half a brain knows that is a fantasy and knows that is not the type of metro amazon is asking for. If there HQ was already located in a smaller city with a mid size CSA then maybe you could use that as context but thats not the case. CSA anyways is nearly a worthless measurement of scale for determining a cities size or influence. Especially with a region like the Triad that for the most part doesnt have a whole lot to do with eachother. This isnt a Dallas-Ftworth, Raleigh-Durham, or Minneapolis St.Paul type of CSA. About the only thing Greensboro and Winston have with eachother is location.

Nothing is stopping Greensboro from putting in a bid, they can gobfor it all they want, but to try and say that their CSA is enough to get them even a consideration is a joke.
who the heck are you talking about? When did I even say that greensboro had any chance? Don't throw my name in this, unless you're confusing me with gsboi...

I need to change my name. Is a name change request possible?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
who the heck are you talking about? When did I even say that greensboro had any chance? Don't throw my name in this, unless you're confusing me with gsboi...

I need to change my name. Is a name change request possible?
Yep it was a name mix up. My apologies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point