Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:09 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Wow, those of who grew up in G'boro in the 1950's, 60's and 70's will find this hard to believe. Cone Mills essentially transformed a small, sleepy town into a manufacturing behemoth, and now that legacy is gone.

End of an era: After 112 years, White Oak plant to close | Local News | greensboro.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wow, those of who grew up in G'boro in the 1950's, 60's and 70's will find this hard to believe. Cone Mills essentially transformed a small, sleepy town into a manufacturing behemoth, and now that legacy is gone.

End of an era: After 112 years, White Oak plant to close | Local News | greensboro.com
Is this the last of the old manufacturing mills in GSO?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Is this the last of the old manufacturing mills in GSO?
Not sure what the definition of "old manufacturing mills" is...I guess the answer is yes if you mean legacy textile mills. Precision Fabrics was created from Burlington Mills, its still around and has corporate headquarters in G'boro; not sure where they have plants. Elastic Fabrics of America still has a plant in G'boro.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Don't worry, you can still experience the plants in Parras or Yecapixtla (Mexico) or Jiaxing (China).

https://www.conedenim.com/mills/

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
It's the last of any major textile manufacturing in Greensboro. However Greensboro does have a major corporate presence with VF Corp and Wrangler.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:10 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:

Sad to hear, but I guess not terribly unexpected. It would be great if it was re-purposed similar to Revolution Mill, but from the pics I've seen, White Oak doesn't really seem to have the same architectural flair as Revolution. It might be due to plant expansions over the years though.

There looks to be a pretty sweet-looking abandoned mill just south of Cone Mills as well. What used to be there?

Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Sad to hear, but I guess not terribly unexpected. It would be great if it was re-purposed similar to Revolution Mill, but from the pics I've seen, White Oak doesn't really seem to have the same architectural flair as Revolution. It might be due to plant expansions over the years though.

There looks to be a pretty sweet-looking abandoned mill just south of Cone Mills as well. What used to be there?
South of the White Oak Plant? I think thats the Cone Mills Proximity Plant, which was their first building in G'boro.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Who remembers Guilford Mills on West Wendover? Then there was the old Pamona mill on Spring Garden that was converted to a mall. After a bad ice storm caused damage it closed and was demolished to make way for student housing. The nearby roundhouse which was one of three left in the state, the others in Spencer and Asheville, was also demolished.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Who remembers Guilford Mills on West Wendover? Then there was the old Pamona mill on Spring Garden that was converted to a mall. After a bad ice storm caused damage it closed and was demolished to make way for student housing. The nearby roundhouse which was one of three left in the state, the others in Spencer and Asheville, was also demolished.
I can't place the Guilford Mills W. Wendover property, but I do actually remember the Pomona mill on Spring Garden Street. It think it was called Cotton Mill Square, and may have been called something else before that. I remember buying shoes there and there was one of those peanut/popcorn kiosks somewhere in the aisles that smelled so wonderful. It was definitely ahead of its time before the reuse of mills became as popular as it is becoming today.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
South of the White Oak Plant? I think thats the Cone Mills Proximity Plant, which was their first building in G'boro.
It's the one at the corner of Fairview and 9th. After some Googling, it seems to be referred to as the Proximity Printworks Mill. It appears to be slated for a redevelopment similar to Revolution Mill.

Abandoned Greensboro mill to be redeveloped into apartments, retail | myfox8.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point