Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

96 posts, read 135,139 times

Advertisements

Three years ago we moved from CT to Jacksonville, FL. Overall, it has been a good move. No more severe snowstorms, much more affordable and friendly folks. The downsides are the really long summers, the need to drive to get most anywhere, getting overdeveloped (markedly so in the past three years) and traffic.

So, we're considering a move to NC where we have friends in High Point and at the coast. At this point, W/S and its suburbs seem appealing. We feel that, while we're from up North originally, we're Southerners at heart. Looking for a front porch neighborhood.

We're semi-retired, but active, we like the outdoors but are not hikers, etc. Culture and the arts are important to us. Close proximity to good medical is also important. Crime...SICK OF IT!!! The news here is filled with stories of shooting, etc. every day. We're not affected by it here in our section of town but it does take a toll on ya' after awhile.

Any suggestions? NC has an income tax, but it may even out if the cost of living and QOL is better overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
I love northeast Davidson County, where we moved in 2011. We're 20 minutes to downtown W-S or HP, 25 minutes to downtown Greensboro. Almost no traffic other than at a few intersections and a little at rush hour. Here, rush hour is just that - an hour (or less) of heavier traffic, not the hours-long rush hours of gridlock in many metro areas. I love the climate here - it's my favorite behind San Diego (and as great as the climate is in SD, I truly do enjoy seasons that we get here).

Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Thanks, Emelvee. Might you have any idea of how similar or dissimilar your area is to the Clemmons or Lewisville areas?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:43 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Clemmons and Lewisville could work well for you. Relatively safe and quiet with easy access to both downtown and the mountains to the west. There are a lot of neighborhoods in Winston, proper, you might enjoy, though many of the neighborhoods that come to mind when I think "front porch"--the walkable, classic neighborhoods--either have a little bit of property crime (mostly people going through unlocked cars parked on the street) or are quite expensive.

Two large, well-regarded hospitals here (with lots of satellite offices, out-patient clinics, etc. all over town). Also plenty of arts activity. Reynolda House, SECCA, and the North Trade Street arts district (now anchored by the Arts for Art's Sake building and Artivity Green) are all interesting for visual arts, and the UNC School of the Arts is a treasure for the performing arts. It's a professional arts conservatory, and their productions could pass as off-Broadway with no problem. There are also a number of other small theaters and music venues. Plus you're within easy driving distance of Greensboro, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Asheville, and some really great folk and bluegrass venues in the mountains, if that's your cup of tea.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Oaks.

We'll be checking out Clemmons and Lewisville for sure. Also, Kernersville was suggested as it has some concentration of artsy shops, etc.

I know the "front porch" idea is a bit of a throwback, but having grown up with one I'm convinced it has a lot to do with neighborhood stability.

Bill

Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
I know the "front porch" idea is a bit of a throwback,
but having grown up with one I'm convinced it has a lot to do with neighborhood stability.
You're not wrong.

For your stated and a hundred other reasons focusing your search on front porches
is a quite valid filter for which homes in which neighborhood to look at.

Drive around in the evenings and see where folks are out on their porches.
Find your spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point