Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times

Advertisements

There's a poster on the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill board whose husband commutes to Burlington from Chapel Hill. I'd def pick Burlington.

Fayetteville is not a really desirable area. It's a military town and is fine if you need to be there. There are some good things going on there, but it's the big fish in its small pond. It's the biggest city around in about a 10 county area and it's not a very desirable area of the state. None of the other cities are great either, with the exception of Pinehurst and possibly Southern Pines.

Burlington is a small city on the edge of the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). You would have many more options for things to do and places to live if you picked Burlington.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
I think fayetville but you need to work with a real good realtor coming from texas too i think its a sensible fit

A lot of us triangle posters are liberal and like to crap on fayetville because it leans conservative and the military element however if you have some budget i think you have a better pick of delightful houses in the city like

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...99_rect/13_zm/

fayetville has a baseball team, the downtown is emerging

fayetville is an emerging city and could have a future

hopemills are safe suburbs
burlington will always be marginal sandwiched between the triad and triangle.

poppydog has roots in fayetville but i do too

I would lean one way or another based on your politics TBH

Last edited by hey_guy; 03-12-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 03:04 PM

23 posts, read 28,298 times
Thank you all for your input. My husbands current commute is over an hour anyway due to dfw being so large and traffic so I don’t find anything under an hour unreasonable. We do not have to live in either city as long as he can commute to work.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:07 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
greensboro

Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
My husband is the one who works in Burlington, and we live in Chapel Hill. Burlington isn't a bad place, and I don't know how to say this nicely without coming across as a snob, but it's provincial. There is a definite small-town mentality, not that it's bad, but it may not be a good fit coming from Dallas. The people I have met there are always super friendly and regular folks, but many of them are born, live and will die in Burlington. Raleigh is the "big city" to them. Coming from Dallas I think this type of mindset will be a huge adjustment, unless you are specifically looking for slowing down your pace.

The schools are just so-so. Test scores aren't so great. There isn't great shopping there, if that's your thing. There's Kohl's and Michael's and big-box stores like that, but no nice mall or even a Macy's. There is, however, a nice downtown park, and I like their library system. It's fine to work in Burlington, and my husband enjoys it and the people, and he'd probably actually be fine living there, but he likes simple things. I knew, however, that it wasn't for me and my children. We are Jewish and have an Asian daughter, and neither demographic is found in Burlington. Plus, I was looking for a good school district.

I would suggest, like others that if you choose Burlington, look to live in Greensboro. There are nice areas of the city there with good schools. Commute to Burlington would be 30-40 minutes, probably. it's not Dallas, but there are many more amenities than in Burlington. You can choose Chapel Hill like we did, but it's farther (45-50 minutes) and much more expensive. Another option would be to look in Hillsborough which is a sweet town of 6K that's part of the Triangle.

Oh, and if you care about politics, Burlington is Republican/Trump country while the Triangle and Greensboro would be more Democrat/liberal.

I cannot really compare to Fayetteville as I've only been there a handful of times. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 PM

239 posts, read 305,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My husband is the one who works in Burlington, and we live in Chapel Hill. Burlington isn't a bad place, and I don't know how to say this nicely without coming across as a snob, but it's provincial. There is a definite small-town mentality, not that it's bad, but it may not be a good fit coming from Dallas. The people I have met there are always super friendly and regular folks, but many of them are born, live and will die in Burlington. Raleigh is the "big city" to them. Coming from Dallas I think this type of mindset will be a huge adjustment, unless you are specifically looking for slowing down your pace.

The schools are just so-so. Test scores aren't so great. There isn't great shopping there, if that's your thing. There's Kohl's and Michael's and big-box stores like that, but no nice mall or even a Macy's. There is, however, a nice downtown park, and I like their library system. It's fine to work in Burlington, and my husband enjoys it and the people, and he'd probably actually be fine living there, but he likes simple things. I knew, however, that it wasn't for me and my children. We are Jewish and have an Asian daughter, and neither demographic is found in Burlington. Plus, I was looking for a good school district.

I would suggest, like others that if you choose Burlington, look to live in Greensboro. There are nice areas of the city there with good schools. Commute to Burlington would be 30-40 minutes, probably. it's not Dallas, but there are many more amenities than in Burlington. You can choose Chapel Hill like we did, but it's farther (45-50 minutes) and much more expensive. Another option would be to look in Hillsborough which is a sweet town of 6K that's part of the Triangle.

Oh, and if you care about politics, Burlington is Republican/Trump country while the Triangle and Greensboro would be more Democrat/liberal.

I cannot really compare to Fayetteville as I've only been there a handful of times. Good luck with your decision!
Are you grouping all of Burlington together? Elon/lake Mack side of Burlington is very diverse from what I can see.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 PM

70 posts, read 76,988 times
The western side of Burlington is not like the rest of the city at all. There are lots of nice houses. The Mackintosh on the Lake neighborhood is very large and diverse. The schools are fine but that depends on what you're looking for.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:25 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
The western side of Burlington is not like the rest of the city at all. There are lots of nice houses. The Mackintosh on the Lake neighborhood is very large and diverse. The schools are fine but that depends on what you're looking for.
I disagree. Williams is ok at best, elementary and middle are not good at all.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 AM

239 posts, read 305,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I disagree. Williams is ok at best, elementary and middle are not good at all.
I wouldn't say the schools are great but smith elementary and williams are both rated 7/10 that's a little better then ok at best I think

Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I wouldn't say the schools are great but smith elementary and williams are both rated 7/10 that's a little better then ok at best I think
The elementary school for the Lake McIntosh area (and other parts of western Burlington) is Highland Elementary. Its rated a 5/10.

The state report card gives Highland a "C" and Turrentine Middle a "D".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point