U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,304,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
haha, I did.... from 70 to 65.
I would be driving at around 70-74 in the 65 zone, passing some cars...then when it switched to 60, I'd slow down to 65-69, and many of the cars I had recently passed would pass me, since they kept the same speed, even though the limit was lower. Anyway, I guess that won't be an issue any longer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 03:18 PM

5,449 posts, read 5,433,937 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/b...-handicap.html

Pretty cool lengthy article in the New York Times talking about downtown High Point's revitalization efforts.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,425,135 times
This was a pretty awesome nod to the Bull city and Gate city, on their amazing efforts to create vibrant and noteworthy downtowns.

Quote:
"Other cities in the state, including Durham and nearby Greensboro, have revitalized their downtowns, but High Point’s has languished."
But where is the Camel city...come on NY times.

While i do agree with the NY times, we have to remember that Durham and Greensboros sucess was not simply overnight, it took both cities decades to get where they are now. And both had ballparks that became a major catylist for millions of dollars in development and revitilation that eventualy spread throughout the CBD.

Highpoint is starting to crawl, but it will be running soon enough.

Last edited by YinXyang; 07-04-2019 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Ground broken or High Point ballpark development

https://myfox8.com/2019/09/18/high-p...pment-project/

Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 AM

103 posts, read 115,713 times
New burger place, called Lone Star Burgers, coming to 130 W Lexington Ave, where Emerywood Fine Foods used to be.
Forgot to mention it previously, but Tipsy'z will also be expanding. They bought the former Fixins restaurant on N Main and will be opening a taco joint. I tend to forget about Tipsy'z but they do have amazing burgers. Haven't tried their tacos yet.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:12 AM

High Point to build an American Home Furnishings Hall of Fame.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,076,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
High Point to build an American Home Furnishings Hall of Fame.
The first inductee should be whoever invented the recliner!

Old 10-27-2019, 06:47 AM

103 posts, read 115,713 times
The old Wendy's on N Main (next to University Kitchen) is being turned into a Jimmy John's.
Sort of interesting, as I don't think I've ever seen a Jimmy Johns that large (most that I've seen have been in small strip malls or downtown areas) and I'm wondering if they're actually going to utilize the drive-thru.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:52 AM

773 posts, read 374,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Developer discusses his vision for his mixed-use biotech research park on the edge of High Point near Greensboro.

His development will be a unique model for North Carolina and he states will also lead to more downtown development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline
Looks like this project may not happen:

"Last year, Adnan Mjalli announced a $500 million investment to create his 80-plus acre Oasis Village for Longevity and Healthy Aging in High Point, but after the pandemic struck, plans were put on hold. Since then, other states have reached out to Mjalli about relocating, offering land, cash and other incentives to do so. No final decisions have been made for the research park, which could create hundreds of high-paying jobs in the region."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...recs_s#new_tab

Old 11-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Status: "Doing my best to stay happy and healthy." (set 1 day ago)

5,116 posts, read 3,101,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
This was a pretty awesome nod to the Bull city and Gate city, on their amazing efforts to create vibrant and noteworthy downtowns.

But where is the Camel city...come on NY times.

While i do agree with the NY times, we have to remember that Durham and Greensboros sucess was not simply overnight, it took both cities decades to get where they are now. And both had ballparks that became a major catylist for millions of dollars in development and revitilation that eventualy spread throughout the CBD.

Highpoint is starting to crawl, but it will be running soon enough.
Yeah, downtown High Point is about 20 years behind Greensboro in this regard. but it's also unique in having so many buildings that are actively used as furniture showrooms in prime street front properties, which is an economic driver but doesn't really contribute to an experience of the casual person downtown who isn't there on business during the biannual furniture market that goes on about a week each time.

Outside of downtown, I wonder what will happen with the old Oak Hollow Mall that High Point University purchased, with the one exception of the Dillard's clearance store which is still in operation. The university there has been on a massive property acquisition and construction campaign for several years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point