Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,433,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
It's nice to see something coming that will spruce up that part of town! Does anyone think Greensboro will ever be like Durham and genterfy to the extent that there will be no bad parts in Greensboro?!? I'm just trying to picture both Greensboro and Winston in about a decade and wonder if these cities will be pricey to live in..
Durham doesn't have any "bad parts"?! Do what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 PM

185 posts, read 201,118 times
Lol BC1960 ,I been reading the triangle forums lately and from what I've gathered, Durham has done a complete turn around from what it used to be.. maybe they are over hyping it. Still I wonder if Greensboro and Winston could become pricey cities. Ive owned a home for three yrs now but when I had apartments in both Winston and Greensboro I never paid over 600. I think my last apt rent was gonna go up to like 635 and that's when I decided to buy a home.. All the apts I had too were decent and in safe areas.. they weren't high end lux apts but they were nice garden style apts. Which it seems no one's building that type anymore.. I always liked that style with their own outside entrance. Anyway I just wonder if a person wouldn't be able to find a decent apt for under 700 one day in Winston or Greensboro..

Old 06-15-2018, 04:17 PM

6,173 posts, read 7,280,757 times
Quote:
Lol BC1960 ,I been reading the triangle forums lately and from what I've gathered, Durham has done a complete turn around from what it used to be.. maybe they are over hyping it. Still I wonder if Greensboro and Winston could become pricey cities. Ive owned a home for three yrs now but when I had apartments in both Winston and Greensboro I never paid over 600. I think my last apt rent was gonna go up to like 635 and that's when I decided to buy a home.. All the apts I had too were decent and in safe areas.. they weren't high end lux apts but they were nice garden style apts. Which it seems no one's building that type anymore.. I always liked that style with their own outside entrance. Anyway I just wonder if a person wouldn't be able to find a decent apt for under 700 one day in Winston or Greensboro..
Actually that's just about the case now at least for Greensboro . My rent for a one bedroom is under $1,000 a month and just looking at apartments for rent online, it's hard to find anything decent for under $700 a month. Anything less is typically a complex that's more than 30 years old or is in a shady part of town.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM

185 posts, read 201,118 times
My favorite apt was on country club in winston. I had a two bedroom and rent was around low 500s and country clubsa nice aera. Anyway I was there for two years and then new management came.when it was time to renew they asked if I was friends with the old manager cause they couldn't believe how low my rent had been.. lol.. needles to say I didn't renew with the new rent increase. lol. This was back around 2006- 2008 time frame.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 PM

6,215 posts, read 4,677,256 times
Quote:
It's nice to see something coming that will spruce up that part of town! Does anyone think Greensboro will ever be like Durham and genterfy to the extent that there will be no bad parts in Greensboro?!? I'm just trying to picture both Greensboro and Winston in about a decade and wonder if these cities will be pricey to live in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Durham doesn't have any "bad parts"?! Do what?
Durham definitely has seen some gentrification but Raleigh is a better example with 1,300 SF "patio" homes going for close to half a million dollars on streets that have historically seen very high crime, and this kind of pricing spreading to a larger area.

The closest thing to massive gentrification Greensboro has seen is in the Southside neighborhood on the north side of Gate City Boulevard close to downtown.

It would be nice to figure out a way to have working class neighborhoods for decent people on a tight budget (those who actually do work or have some legitimate use of their time rather than hanging out getting into nonsense), without having to have such an unsavory element around.

The area around the proposed hotel site is near is the kind of suburban area that hasn't seen as much gentrification. It's an area that's not horrible but not so great either in my opinion. There are some decent quiet pockets and then there are some pockets (and perhaps some of these are the less savory "Bates" type residential motels) to avoid. Even the Wal Mart and Lowes were an improvement over an abandoned mall for squatters and vandals to hang around and cause problems. But you can tell the tenant mix isn't exactly upscale in that area because the socioeconomics are just so-so. Hopefully this can be another improvement for the folks in that area.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-15-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Newer restaurants opened up around the mall site as well including Zaxbys and IHOP. It's a breath of fresh air for northeast Greensboro. Most eastside residents currently have to cross town to shop at decent stores or eat at nicer restaurants.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,084,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Newer restaurants opened up around the mall site as well including Zaxbys and IHOP. It's a breath of fresh air for northeast Greensboro. Most eastside residents currently have to cross town to shop at decent stores or eat at nicer restaurants.
I'm not sure I'd use Zaxby's and IHOP as examples of nicer restaurants.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm not sure I'd use Zaxby's and IHOP as examples of nicer restaurants.
No they are not but for east Greensboro its probably some of the nicer ones because really there seems to be only the typical fast food restaurants on that side of town like Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's or Burger King. There is more variety downtown and west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point