Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM

87 posts, read 132,189 times

Advertisements

What are the difference between Winston Salem, High Point, and Greensboro --

trying to understand as we plan to relocate --

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated....

The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Not looking for Beverly Hills, something affordable - 100K max --

I know there is crime everywhere just looking to stay from the murders, rapists, and crack & meth labs -

maybe and up and coming area --

Last edited by franklinb; 11-03-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 AM

34,172 posts, read 83,290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinb View Post
What are the difference between ...trying to understand
You've got to dig deeper than that. Start with YOUR observations during your visits.
What did YOU see as being different? What don't you understand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad

Old 11-04-2018, 04:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,419,837 times
What do you hope to get for $100? A single family house will be very difficult to find. A small condo, yes.

G'boro and W-S are very similar. HP is the blue collar cousin.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,424,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
What do you hope to get for $100? A single family house will be very difficult to find. A small condo, yes.
That's not really true. There are quite a few <100k single family homes in the area. Many need work, are in bad areas, or are being sold as-is, but there are definitely options, especially if you're willing to put in some work. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/9_zm/0_mmm/

Just glancing at the listings, there are at least a dozen properties on the west and NW side of Winston alone I'd consider if I had a tight budget.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:22 AM

27,240 posts, read 44,218,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
That's not really true. There are quite a few <100k single family homes in the area. Many need work, are in bad areas, or are being sold as-is, but there are definitely options, especially if you're willing to put in some work. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/9_zm/0_mmm/

Just glancing at the listings, there are at least a dozen properties on the west and NW side of Winston alone I'd consider if I had a tight budget.
While only a couple available in that price range currently I would also include the Ardmore neighborhood SW of downtown which has a track record of being established and friendly with a real sense of community. https://www.ardmore.ws/

Old 11-04-2018, 10:52 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,419,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post

Yes, I should have qualified my comment about it being difficult to find a sub $100,000 sfr with something along the lines of "in a good area or that doesn't need a lot of work, or isn't very small or functionally obsolete."

If the OP will be working, the job location is obviously an important consideration.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:14 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,424,929 times
Right on. But having lived in areas where you literally cannot find habitable single family homes under 100k (or 250k, for that matter), it’s clear that options are available at almost any price above, say, 85k. Less if you’re willing to do a lot of work or don’t mind tougher areas.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,558,242 times
To the OP:

W-S and G'boro are similar enough that you should start with where your job(s) is/are located. For example, if job is in Greensboro, there's no need to commute from W-S, and vice versa. A number of families split the difference and live in Kernersville, especially if the spouses' jobs are in different directions.

Unless job is in High Point, I wouldn't consider High Point. That's the least desirable (IMO) of the three larger cities in the Triad.

You do have a low budget for your stated criteria.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 PM

241 posts, read 340,972 times
I just spotted a 4 BR single family home in East Winston near Walkertown almost 2000 sq. It's a residential area that doesn't have a lot of violent crime. Found another for under 3BR $100K on the South end near Kernersville and High Point. It's not like you're looking in Raleigh where it would HARD to find a single family home for under $200K in a decent area. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point