U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 05:29 PM

12 posts, read 7,965 times

Advertisements

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving. Just found this site and it appears to be fairly active, so thought it might be a good place to do some inquiries. We are considering making a move to the WS area...not looking to be IN Winston-Salem, as we are more country-folk believe it or not given our current locale. We live about 40 miles north of Seattle in Arlington and I personally abhor Seattle-proper. For a number of reasons, we are wanting to relocate away from here and WS is on our short list.

While are reasons are many, I will try to be as concise as possible. Our primary reason is to hopefully ease my wife's medical conditions. Over the past few years, my wife has developed some issues that we strongly believe to be largely environmental. After visiting several doctors and the like, they all recommend a warmer and drier climate. Asheville, NC came up as one likely candidate for climate. While it appears there is not a drastic difference between here and there, it is more favorable. San Diego would probably be the ideal climate, but too many reasons that location is out of the question, but I digress.

Anyway, we have done quite a bit of looking at real estate and are pleasantly surprised based on our current local market. We prefer a nice house on about an acre for under $450k, there seems to be plenty available given what we have found so far. The reason for my initial inquiry here is to find out about places to avoid. If we relocate, I would work in North W-S (strong possibility of a job transfer). This is our second reason for choosing W-S...a possible job transfer. I currently commute 20 miles and that can vary from 30 minutes to 1 hour+. My initial findings suggest traffic to be far better than here. As such, I am willing to drive about the same amount of time, though would like to be closer if possible. We found a few homes in Walkertown we like, and that would be a nice commute. Any reason not to consider that area? Lexington is another area we found with several likeable homes, but that drive starts to get longer than I might like long-term.

Our family is currently 4 strong (1 out of the house deployed to Afghanistan), so schooling is of secondary importance (only 1 will be in high school after the move, which we plan for Summer 2019). We prefer suburbs and country type feel. Our current home is a 2000+ sq ft rambler on 5 acres. We want to reduce the property size to minimize outside work, but improve on the home some.

Longer winded than I anticipated, thanks for any advice offered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,324,807 times
If you want drier why not Texas? NC is not a dry state. Unless you meant sunnier maybe?

Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 AM

31,387 posts, read 69,894,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
Our primary reason is to hopefully ease my wife's medical conditions.
After visiting several doctors and the like, they all recommend a warmer and drier climate.
Asheville, NC came up as one likely candidate for climate.
By who and on what basis?
I really doubt it was anyone who has ever lived in any part of NC
(Asheville or Winston where you posted this)

Quote:
Anyway, we have done quite a bit of looking at real estate and...
Online right? That doesn't count for much.
You need at least an extended VISIT to locales before looking at RE listings.

If you're forced to do that online looking sort of thing... try the weather and climate data websites.
Objective data will point you toward Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

Good luck to you all.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:37 AM

14,514 posts, read 5,996,149 times
Quote:
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving. Just found this site and it appears to be fairly active, so thought it might be a good place to do some inquiries. We are considering making a move to the WS area...not looking to be IN Winston-Salem, as we are more country-folk believe it or not given our current locale. We live about 40 miles north of Seattle in Arlington and I personally abhor Seattle-proper. For a number of reasons, we are wanting to relocate away from here and WS is on our short list.

While are reasons are many, I will try to be as concise as possible. Our primary reason is to hopefully ease my wife's medical conditions. Over the past few years, my wife has developed some issues that we strongly believe to be largely environmental. After visiting several doctors and the like, they all recommend a warmer and drier climate. Asheville, NC came up as one likely candidate for climate. While it appears there is not a drastic difference between here and there, it is more favorable. San Diego would probably be the ideal climate, but too many reasons that location is out of the question, but I digress.

Anyway, we have done quite a bit of looking at real estate and are pleasantly surprised based on our current local market. We prefer a nice house on about an acre for under $450k, there seems to be plenty available given what we have found so far. The reason for my initial inquiry here is to find out about places to avoid. If we relocate, I would work in North W-S (strong possibility of a job transfer). This is our second reason for choosing W-S...a possible job transfer. I currently commute 20 miles and that can vary from 30 minutes to 1 hour+. My initial findings suggest traffic to be far better than here. As such, I am willing to drive about the same amount of time, though would like to be closer if possible. We found a few homes in Walkertown we like, and that would be a nice commute. Any reason not to consider that area? Lexington is another area we found with several likeable homes, but that drive starts to get longer than I might like long-term.

Our family is currently 4 strong (1 out of the house deployed to Afghanistan), so schooling is of secondary importance (only 1 will be in high school after the move, which we plan for Summer 2019). We prefer suburbs and country type feel. Our current home is a 2000+ sq ft rambler on 5 acres. We want to reduce the property size to minimize outside work, but improve on the home some.

Longer winded than I anticipated, thanks for any advice offered.
Look for unincorporated areas, you only pay county RE taxes. Lexington to N WS may not be bad in the early morning, afternoon Rt. 52 through WS can be quite hair raising. Try to keep I-40 out of your commute. Weather much nicer then NJ where I moved from. Summer's can be very hot and humid. Spring and fall are short. Only really bad month for winter is February.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
If you want drier why not Texas? NC is not a dry state. Unless you meant sunnier maybe?
Boise, Dallas and Winston-Salem are on our list. I know that NC is not a dry state, but that is not the only criteria. More sun with fewer wet days is more important than pure dryness. Using Sperling's city compare, all come up far more favorable than our current location. W-S shows up as about 40% more sunny days and about 30% fewer precipitation days. One thing I don't like about Texas is excessive property tax rates.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
By who and on what basis?
I really doubt it was anyone who has ever lived in any part of NC
(Asheville or Winston where you posted this)

Online right? That doesn't count for much.
You need at least an extended VISIT to locales before looking at RE listings.

If you're forced to do that online looking sort of thing... try the weather and climate data websites.
Objective data will point you toward Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

Good luck to you all.
While I don't want to get into all the details, she suffers from fibromyalgia which I will honestly say we both felt was a made up thing until she started showing signs for it and then our primary care physician started treating her for it. But we have found that fibro is but a symptom of something else.

Extremes in climate are also not good, and the various professionals we've spoken to all seem to agree on that point, so high heat is also not good (Tucson was on the list).

I have been to W-S a couple times for work, but was not looking to relocate at that time. Last time I was there was in Jan 2016 and there was a skiff of snow that seemed to cripple the whole area. Being from the east side of WA state where sizeable snow accumulations are the norm, it was laughable to me.

Regardless, I do appreciate your points and they are important observations.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM

A few more questions...

During my online real estate searches, it seems that it is more common for homes to NOT have fenced yards. We have two dogs, friendly and all, but also don't want them to be wanderers. Is the W-S culture not so dog friendly or is being a dog owner just done differently somehow (people keep them leashed more, hidden pet fences, etc).

High humidity is also a negative factor. I have been watching the humidity for a while now, notice it does seem lower overall but not sure if that is generally true. Based on those that live in near W-S, what is your impression of the humidity related to comfort level throughout the year?

Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 69,894,293 times
Quote:
Boise, Dallas and Winston-Salem are on our list.
Boise it is.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:34 PM

11,908 posts, read 13,075,241 times
Quote:
Based on those that live in near W-S, what is your impression of the humidity related to comfort level throughout the year?
It's the SOUTHEAST, the most humid part of the country. It's very humid here in the summer especially, but I am not looking forward to tonight and tomorrow when it's supposed to rain all day. Possibly freezing rain tonight in the Winston area. That would be both cold and humid!

Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 PM

23,037 posts, read 34,341,053 times
Quote:
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving. Just found this site and it appears to be fairly active, so thought it might be a good place to do some inquiries. We are considering making a move to the WS area...not looking to be IN Winston-Salem, as we are more country-folk believe it or not given our current locale.
You don't actually have to live far outside of Winston Salem to find a more country setting as the north and northwest side has a number of low density neighborhoods.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...03_rect/12_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point