Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times

Advertisements

Piggly Wiggly, a grocery store chain that was everywhere in the south decades ago is entering the Triad market opening a store in Greensboro between downtown and I-40. Most Piggly Wigglys today operate in small towns particularly near the coast but were common just about everywhere in the 1950s and 60s. It will be the first entry in a large urban market in our state in decades.

Pay wall

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Piggly Wiggly has a location not too far from Greensboro in Siler City (along with a location or two in Danville, VA). Near the Triangle, they closed their store in Pittsboro and sold their Zebulon store to Carlie C’s IGA.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
That's interesting.
To be honest, though, at that location it's doubtful it will be a more upscale location like some of the larger, newer stores in their core area. That location (at the corner of Freeman Mill Rd. & Florida Street) definitely could use some quality retailers, but it doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation as a location people feel safe shopping. It will be interesting to see if this spurs other retailers to help stabilize the area.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:07 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
I honestly thought Piggly Wiggly was a dying brand that simply had a few locations holding on because they were the only grocery store in town. Had no idea they were still opening stores.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I honestly thought Piggly Wiggly was a dying brand that simply had a few locations holding on because they were the only grocery store in town. Had no idea they were still opening stores.
Looks like they are making a little come back. But Jowel is right. Don't expect anything upscale and its not on the level of a Trader Joe's coming here. But I thought it was pretty cool they are coming to Greensboro. The location puzzles me though. It's literally steps a way from the projects and is not the safest area of town. But I guess Piggly Wiggly is more of a discount grocery store these days.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Piggly Wiggly has a location not too far from Greensboro in Siler City (along with a location or two in Danville, VA).
Danville used to have two, but one of them closed in 2012. The building was later torn down in 2015 and a Walmart Neighborhood Market was built in it’s place. The other PW on US-58 is a toilet. I haven’t set foot in there in 3 years. The place was filthy as hell and it smelled like it too. The smell nearly knocked me on my ass when I first stepped in the store. Given the manager’s poor attitude towards people (including employees) when I last saw her, it doesn’t surprise me. That’s one PW Greensboro does NOT want to emulate.

Last edited by LM117; 01-04-2019 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 06:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Looks like they are making a little come back. But Jowel is right. Don't expect anything upscale and its not on the level of a Trader Joe's coming here. But I thought it was pretty cool they are coming to Greensboro. The location puzzles me though. It's literally steps a way from the projects and is not the safest area of town. But I guess Piggly Wiggly is more of a discount grocery store these days.
I hope it makes it there as the residents in that area need a grocery store (it's probably in what is considered a food desert) and I'm sure many in that area have limited transportation. Unfortunately in those more challenged locations one of the big problems is that grocery stores have a high shoplifting rate. If they're already operating on a thin margin that makes them more prone to just shut down.

Maybe they'll have some southern hospitality like they do at the one on this video in Georgia. This is why I think of the Deep South when I think of Piggly Wiggly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzjl-y2RD3A&t=926s

Last edited by Jowel; 01-05-2019 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah me as well. They've been dying in Charleston and Columbia for a while now and if you've stepped foot in one it's easy to see why. Dirty, out-dated, low quality product. I'm of the opinion you can get better quality at a better price from Food Lion or Bi-Lo than at PW.

They know how to sell shirts though. Every other 20-something girl walking around Myrtle Beach in the summer wears one of those "I dig the Pig" shirts.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
If anyone is interested, this is what happened.
\https://data.postandcourier.com/saga...-wiggly/page/1

My Pig in Mt. Pleasant was great. I'm so sorry it went downhill after I left.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
In New Bern we have 2 HTs, 1 Publix, 2 or 3 Food Lions, 1 Walmart market, and 2 Piggly Wigglys.

I would say the two Pigs are at or near the bottom of the list. I don’t think I’d be too excited about a Piggly-Wiggly opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point