Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

https://www.greensboro.com/gnr/triad...4cc80b718.html

PTI in Greensboro may not lead the state in passenger flights but its leading in its niche. PTI is also the world headquarters for Honda Aircraft Company and manufactures jets there. With the taxiway that is constructed over I-73, it will open to hundreds of acres of more land for companies. PTI ultimate prize would be landing a manufacturing/innovation facility for companies like Boeing

The FedEx Mid-Atlantic Hub is hiring hundreds of more workers.

Haeco America, headquartered at PTI has 5 hangers there.

Haeco also manufactures aircraft seating at PTI.

Other major aerospace companies there are

B/E Aerospace
Triumph Aerospace Systems
Cessna
Plus 50 other companies.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-07-2019 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Who remember this project planned by near Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro near the Highway 68 / I-40 interchange. Much like in cities like Dallas which have suburban type office towers.

Triad Tower

It was suppose to have a restaurant public observational deck on the top. The 22 story tower was canceled after a downturn in the national economy leading to a soft office market. It was originally proposed at 14-stories but Falk Companies expanded it to 22-stories adding a residential component. It would have actually had 25 floors with 3 floors underground. The view from the top would have been the only location where you could see downtown Greensboro, downtown High Point and downtown Winston-Salem at the same time.

Falks plans.

"Also planned for the project are multiple restaurants, including at least one that would be at the top of the 360-foot-high tower. Also in the works are plans for an observation deck to watch the planes take off and land at PTI, and a two-story aquarium with three saltwater tanks. There's also the possibility of an Imax theater"

Who knows maybe at some point in the future Falk may reincarnate this project in some form or another.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-01-2021 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 06:39 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times
Wow that really would of been something. What year would this project had been completed (and by that I mean , what year was the project estimated to be completed as long as the city stayed out of it and didn't medle in the plans ) .. I wonder if that would of lead to alot more build up in that aera .maybe would of took some focus away from downtown. So maybe in that regards it was a good thing it didn't get built until the downtown had time to grow like it has that definitely would been a popular restaurant to go to that was on top of the tower. And the salt water aquarium would of been nice. But I guess since the science center is growing these days the aquarium would of been obsolete at the tower.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:48 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times
Oh also I haven't Herd of Falk till now.. All you hear these days are Koury, Carroll or Kotis, Did Falk give up on Greensboro after this project fell thru or has he done other things for the triad since????

Old 10-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Wow that really would of been something. What year would this project had been completed (and by that I mean , what year was the project estimated to be completed as long as the city stayed out of it and didn't medle in the plans ) .. I wonder if that would of lead to alot more build up in that aera .maybe would of took some focus away from downtown. So maybe in that regards it was a good thing it didn't get built until the downtown had time to grow like it has that definitely would been a popular restaurant to go to that was on top of the tower. And the salt water aquarium would of been nice. But I guess since the science center is growing these days the aquarium would of been obsolete at the tower.
It was suppose to be completed by 2007. Also another canceled tower was an 18-story federal courthouse in downtown Greensboro. When the economy took a turn south during the Bush administration it too was canceled and congress hasn't had an apetite since for excessive federal spending considering all the other problems in Washington.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Oh also I haven't Herd of Falk till now.. All you hear these days are Koury, Carroll or Kotis, Did Falk give up on Greensboro after this project fell thru or has he done other things for the triad since????
He still owns property near the airport and the site the tower was supposed to be built. A Triad Tower link is still on Falks website but when you click it, its dead

Old 10-04-2021, 12:20 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Wouldn't a 360 foot high tower at Highway 68 and I-40 be right in the approach path to runway 5-R? I suspect the FAA will not be easy to negotiate with on something like this and honestly for safety, something sticking 300 feet plus in the approach zone within 1 mile of the runway is probably a non-starter.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Wouldn't a 360 foot high tower at Highway 68 and I-40 be right in the approach path to runway 5-R? I suspect the FAA will not be easy to negotiate with on something like this and honestly for safety, something sticking 300 feet plus in the approach zone within 1 mile of the runway is probably a non-starter.

During the time it would have been allowed but the FAA has made some changes since in regards to building height limits near airports. The original 14-story design could be built today. Being near the airport is probably a reason was the design of Triad Tower was not a glass tower for obvious reasons.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:43 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
On and off topic

I know Charlotte is a designated dry port. Maybe the proximity to Charlotte and the coastal ports. The GSO/Triad area with PTI & the commercial rails seems to be a great place for another dry port. PTI is making strides with being a cargo shipping area. The area seems to be sense with manufacturing plants.

Just wondering why never was or has it been discussed in the past?

Last edited by RunD1987; 10-10-2021 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-10-2021, 05:21 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
On and off topic

I know Charlotte is a designated dry port. Maybe the proximity to Charlotte and the coastal ports. The GSO/Triad area with PTI & the commercial rails seems to be a great place for another dry port. PTI is making strides with being a cargo shipping area. The area seems to be sense with manufacturing plants.

Just wondering why never was or has it been discussed in the past?
There used to be an inland port in the Triad but it closed at some point in the past (maybe around the 2008 recession, not sure). I think one is enough to handle the amount of business in NC, and apparently it was decided to keep Charlotte's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point