Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

So, long story short, I got a job in Alamance, we are formerly residents of Oak Ridge, but living in an apartment while trying to figure out where we should go.

My wife doesn't really want to move from the particular Northern Greensboro area - I don't either, but my new job is going to be a 45 minute commute. Would like to at least get it down to 30 minutes, if possible.

The issue is, everything else is here. Our church, my son's pre-school, my wife's work is in High Point.

I still don't know everything about every piece of this area, so trying to decide where we should look which would kind of split the difference, but not put us in a bad area in terms of schools and so forth. My wife's work is around 10 -15 minutes right now. Son's wee school is barely a 10 minute drive. Our church is about a 13 minute drive.

So, everything is super close except for the new job. Which is fine - it's a move up for me and I'm excited for my next adventure, but me and my wife want to start looking for our next house, and I'd like to find a place that works for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
If you're looking for an area that has a semi-rural feel somewhat similar to Oak Ridge, the Forest Oaks area in Southeast Guilford county would be an option. It would be about halfway between Alamance County and High Point and it's a good area, pretty close to I-85 to get to High Point or Alamance (the county, not the small town, right?), & fairly accessible to Greensboro, though it's not on the upscale side of Greensboro like Oak Ridge. There are quite a bit of conveniences down in the Elmsley area off S. Elm Street (Wal Mart, Lowes, Starbucks, some restaurants, etc.) and that area is growing, so I would anticipate you'd have even more conveniences in a few years than now.

The demographics of that area skew older than average, in part because of the golf course. I wish I knew more about the schools in that area but I've known people who live in that area but they were older and didn't have kids in school. I haven't heard anything bad about the schools over there.

Archdale would be another option. That would be right next to High Point but it is a smaller, more suburban town that is very accessible to the interstate (I-85 basically runs right through the middle of town). You'd be pushing it to make it to work in 30 minutes though, unless you lived close to I-85 in Archdale (and there are some nice neighborhoods in that area, though it's more built up than Oak Ridge) and worked right off I-85 in western Alamance county. I have heard the schools are decent in that area.

Or maybe Jamestown, similar to Archdale. You're closer to amenities than the other two places I mentioned, but it's more built up as well if you're trying to keep that rural feel.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-11-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Where exactly is the new job?

Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
If you're looking for an area that has a semi-rural feel somewhat similar to Oak Ridge, the Forest Oaks area in Southeast Guilford county would be an option. It would be about halfway between Alamance County and High Point and it's a good area, pretty close to I-85 to get to High Point or Alamance (the county, not the small town, right?), & fairly accessible to Greensboro, though it's not on the upscale side of Greensboro like Oak Ridge. There are quite a bit of conveniences down in the Elmsley area off S. Elm Street (Wal Mart, Lowes, Starbucks, some restaurants, etc.) and that area is growing, so I would anticipate you'd have even more conveniences in a few years than now.

The demographics of that area skew older than average, in part because of the golf course. I wish I knew more about the schools in that area but I've known people who live in that area but they were older and didn't have kids in school. I haven't heard anything bad about the schools over there.

Archdale would be another option. That would be right next to High Point but it is a smaller, more suburban town that is very accessible to the interstate (I-85 basically runs right through the middle of town). You'd be pushing it to make it to work in 30 minutes though, unless you lived close to I-85 in Archdale (and there are some nice neighborhoods in that area, though it's more built up than Oak Ridge) and worked right off I-85 in western Alamance county. I have heard the schools are decent in that area.

Or maybe Jamestown, similar to Archdale. You're closer to amenities than the other two places I mentioned, but it's more built up as well if you're trying to keep that rural feel.
I've thought about Jamestown - I really like Jamestown, but it seemed like the drive for me would still be about the same - maybe a minute or two less. I'm going to work for the county of Alamance. I don't necessarily mind living in an older neighborhood. In fact, where we lived in Oak Ridge, we were probably the youngest ones there. Older neighborhood usually means quieter, and I'm all for that. We had originally wanted to move to Kernersville, but now with the new job, that would push me at least an hour out, and I'm not willing to lengthen my drive.

Heck, if it's 35 minutes, I'd be OK with that. That extra 10 minutes can me a world of difference some days.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Where exactly is the new job?

Well, it's for Alamance-Burlington school system, I'd be working in Burlington at their administration building.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
How about the Forest Oaks area in SE Guilford? It's a nice, well-established area (with some new builds as well) and the SE Guilford High School district is among the best in Triad, and looks to be about an equal split of commute.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Thats a tough one. There aren't many obvious options. Forest Oaks could work...30 minutes from Burlington and 25 from High Point. Also, the McLeansville area in eastern Guilford County...30 minutes to HP, 25 to Burlington., but I'm not sure the schools are very good.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've thought about Jamestown - I really like Jamestown, but it seemed like the drive for me would still be about the same - maybe a minute or two less. I'm going to work for the county of Alamance. I don't necessarily mind living in an older neighborhood. In fact, where we lived in Oak Ridge, we were probably the youngest ones there. Older neighborhood usually means quieter, and I'm all for that. We had originally wanted to move to Kernersville, but now with the new job, that would push me at least an hour out, and I'm not willing to lengthen my drive.

Heck, if it's 35 minutes, I'd be OK with that. That extra 10 minutes can me a world of difference some days.
Quote:
Well, it's for Alamance-Burlington school system, I'd be working in Burlington at their administration building.
Okay. If you're working there, looking at its location you're deep into Burlington rather than close to I-40/85 on the west side of town.
You'd be pushing it to make it from Jamestown or Archdale in 30-35 minutes. I'd focus on the Forest Oaks/SE Guilford area based on your criteria. Plus, that area of the county is more affordable than Oak Ridge.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
So, long story short, I got a job in Alamance...
So, long story short... how solid is this job?
btw, Alamance is a COUNTY not a town.

Quote:
So, everything is super close except for the new job. Which is fine - it's a move up for me
and I'm excited for my next adventure, but me and my wife want to start looking for our next house,
and I'd like to find a place that works for everyone.
So, do you have a RE agent looking for you NEAR the job yet?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So, long story short... how solid is this job?
The OP didn't ask for help assessing this, and doesn't need to share it with you.

Quote:
btw, Alamance is a COUNTY not a town.
Really? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamance,_North_Carolina

But the OP has already clarified that his job is in Burlington, so its a moot point.

Quote:
So, do you have a RE agent looking for you NEAR the job yet?
Umm, the OP is working in Burlington, his wife in High Point. Thus the reason for his post. You really should READ the posts before you reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point