Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times

Advertisements

Not counting Honolulu and Anchorage for obvious reasons, only El Paso and Wichita have a larger population without a Trader Joes. Just in NC alone, Asheville and Wilmington have one, granted W-S has one, but they are two separate cities far enough apart to have their own.

Last edited by Sophiasmommy; 04-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Shocked that Witchita is bigger than Greensboro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Trader Joe's was coming to Greensboro until nearby residents of the site were so opposed to more retail they backed out.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/bl...lans-were.html

Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 AM

385 posts, read 291,240 times
I still wonder how they were able to stop traders Joe's coming but still yet they are adding that shopping addition to friendy center.. which is still gonna cause more traffic...I would of took trader Joe's over a few new shopping stores.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
I still wonder how they were able to stop traders Joe's coming but still yet they are adding that shopping addition to friendy center.. which is still gonna cause more traffic...I would of took trader Joe's over a few new shopping stores.
Trader Joe's seems like they don't like bad publicity. But its puzzling how that could be the only site in Greensboro that they were interested in. I know Publix is coming to midtown but I could see that area being a good fit for Trader Joe's and it would be close to downtown.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,286 times
but no problem opening 1000+ storage facilities in the area

Old 04-17-2019, 03:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnflkc3 View Post
but no problem opening 1000+ storage facilities in the area
LMAO,thats so true.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
I don't believe Baltimore, St. Louis or Detroit have a Trader Joes and they are much larger than Greensboro.
If you count the metro and suburbs, they have one but not within the cities themselves.

There would be a Trader Joes in Greensboro had they picked a more shovel ready spot than where they did and not run into such NIMBY (Not in My Backyard) opponents. Which is ironic because there are plenty of neighborhoods in Greensboro and elsewhere that would love a Trader Joes.

Oh well, maybe there will be a frumpy woman's clothing store or an investment advisor office where Trader Joes was wanting to go.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't believe Baltimore, St. Louis or Detroit have a Trader Joes and they are much larger than Greensboro.
If you count the metro and suburbs, they have one but not within the cities themselves.

There would be a Trader Joes in Greensboro had they picked a more shovel ready spot than where they did and not run into such NIMBY (Not in My Backyard) opponents. Which is ironic because there are plenty of neighborhoods in Greensboro and elsewhere that would love a Trader Joes.

Oh well, maybe there will be a frumpy woman's clothing store or an investment advisor office where Trader Joes was wanting to go.
I don't think Trader Joe's understands Greensboro. They wanted to locate near Whole Paycheck because they thought they would not be successful unless they were right next. We would drive across town to go. They really should have put it Golden Gate.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I don't think Trader Joe's understands Greensboro. They wanted to locate near Whole Paycheck because they thought they would not be successful unless they were right next. We would drive across town to go. They really should have put it Golden Gate.
Apparently they don't understand their customers. People will travel from 20 or 30 miles away to go to Trader Joe's. Greensboro is not that big. You could put it just about anywhere in the city, excluding high crime areas, and the people will come.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Three in the 'burbs of B'more; Towson, Pikesville, Elkridge. St. Louis, has 4; Brentwood, Creve Coeur, Chesterfield and Des Peres and Detroit has 5 in their metro (too lazy to type them all out). Most people when discussing what a "city", i.e. amenities and shops has is referring to it's metro and not the city proper. Here in Greenville, the city itself is only about 70k due to old annexation laws, but the metro is close to 1 million. Jacksonville on the other hand is one of the largest cities in the world area wise as virtually the entire county is part of the city. So when saying that such and such city does or doesn't have "x" we're obviously talking about it's metro.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=trader...9F9609187051AE

https://www.bing.com/search?q=trader...C7E5538534B6ED

https://www.bing.com/search?q=trader...40B717C20B7EAF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point