Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 12:26 PM

97 posts, read 70,814 times

Advertisements

I will add that I don't see a light rail system like Charlotte's as being the right first step for any of the Triad cities. Step 1, which could happen immediately given political will, would be vastly increased bus service. More routes and greater frequency, with the goal of making public transportation a legitimate mobility option rather than a last resort. Step 2, IMO, would be frequent regional rail over existing rail corridors. For example, the Hanes Mall-to-NC A&T idea that has been floated in the past would serve many of the major destinations in the Triad. I think this model would serve the Triad well for a while, until density increased enough in the urban cores and major nodes to the point where higher-capacity transit lines were justified.

I agree with the poster above that the main problem in this area is a lack of vision. Area leaders seem content to play third fiddle within the state, and to halfhearted adopt new ideas a generation after they have been pioneered elsewhere. Here in Greensboro at least, there is no dynamism from the corporate community either, and local developers are unable or unwilling to break out of the dominant suburban mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 05:57 PM

113 posts, read 110,929 times
I'd love to see a commuter rail system from Charlotte to Raleigh using the NCRR corridor, but I don't see that happening with the current state government.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:37 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Right. I mainly saw the "not dense enough" excuse being thrown around when Raleigh was trying to get a light rail going. I just think it's a weak argument. It's also funny that Greensboro had an electric street car system in 1902. This current system of everyone having a car to drive everywhere is just the way it is, but it doesn't HAVE to be this way. Although, I am not optimistic it will change.

But I agree with you that's it's not difficult to get around the Triad right now. I don't think our leaders here will start taking light rail seriously any time soon. I don't think it's a problem of density, the problem is lack of vision.
Hopefully an express bus lane from Burlington to Greensboro then to Highpoint & Winston-Salem

Charlotte seems to be expanding on their light rail

Think breaking that car mindset be the challenge can get to point b from point a in 30 minutes or less than taking the bus I'll drive then

Old 07-18-2021, 09:04 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
I will add that I don't see a light rail system like Charlotte's as being the right first step for any of the Triad cities. Step 1, which could happen immediately given political will, would be vastly increased bus service. More routes and greater frequency, with the goal of making public transportation a legitimate mobility option rather than a last resort. Step 2, IMO, would be frequent regional rail over existing rail corridors. For example, the Hanes Mall-to-NC A&T idea that has been floated in the past would serve many of the major destinations in the Triad. I think this model would serve the Triad well for a while, until density increased enough in the urban cores and major nodes to the point where higher-capacity transit lines were justified.

I agree with the poster above that the main problem in this area is a lack of vision. Area leaders seem content to play third fiddle within the state, and to halfhearted adopt new ideas a generation after they have been pioneered elsewhere. Here in Greensboro at least, there is no dynamism from the corporate community either, and local developers are unable or unwilling to break out of the dominant suburban mindset.
Everything you said is true. Some say that Greensboro and Winston-Salem shouldn't worry about what Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham are doing. The problem is they are sucking all the oxygen out of the air which leaves very little economic job opportunities for the Triad. For example. Look at the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem. That would be the perfect place for an Apple or Google research and development offices. Raleigh/Durham is just to strong of a competitor. The Innovation Quarter is over 20 years old (started out as Piedmont Triad Research Park) now you have Durham just now starting up its own downtown Innovation Quarter and they are landing the big fish over there despite Winston-Salem having a 20 plus year head start. Charlotte and the Triangle areas are just too attractive and the Triad gets overlooked. The area's city, corporate leaders and developers just aren't doing enough. In part I think its an image problem. Charlotte and Raleigh both have that cosmopolitan image. The Triad still has that rural to small city image to outsiders and that is how the area is stereotyped and portrayed when its featured in the national spotlight on TV and media. I remember when Greensboro was an audition site for the TV show X Factor one year. The city was portrayed as a one stop light kind of town. A local lady was asked what Greensboro was best known for and she said country music and grits. The producers of the show picked a day and time when downtown was dead, probably on an early Sunday morning which is the only time downtown is dead as with most cities. No one was on the streets and they showed clips of trash blowing across the street like tumble weed with old western ghost town type music playing in the background. Simon Cowell then asks where is everyone and a lady says the whole town is at the Greensboro Coliseum. It irritates me when Greensboro is portrayed like that. No we are not New York City or Atlanta but we are certainly much bigger and cultured than the show portrayed the city.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to become leaders and not settle as being followers. I agree what you said in regards to the Triad doing what other cities have already done. You never get ahead that way.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-18-2021 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 10:44 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Raises the question can all 4 Cities in the area group together carve out their own niche

I mean having large corporations probably won't happen. Though the Triad is a ripe area for manufacturing jobs. Not looking at headquarters just a blue collar area to generate revenue, bring in jobs, and people.

Will say being a newcomer to the area and NC for a year. Noticed that cities in NC are very large compared to where I came from up North. First experience with Greensboro was how spread out everything was and how the flow of traffic was easy to navigate. Only area that seemed claustrophobic, traffic was tricky, and parking was limited was downtown. It was a deterrent. They also seem to have a lot of open areas and space to develop downtown. If they can improve flow of traffic and parking on S Elm think that's a step in the right direction. Few pluses I like about downtown Greensboro it doesn't look cookie cutter or like a large city with skyscrapers. Also, like the fact that downtown is lined with local eats and local shops.

Now again don't know much about Greensboro. With the airport and rail lines running through Greensboro make a great place for a dry port. Does Greensboro have a dry port?

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-18-2021 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 11:24 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Deleted

Old 07-18-2021, 11:26 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Everything you said is true. Some say that Greensboro and Winston-Salem shouldn't worry about what Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham are doing. The problem is they are sucking all the oxygen out of the air which leaves very little economic job opportunities for the Triad. For example. Look at the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem. That would be the perfect place for an Apple or Google research and development offices. Raleigh/Durham is just to strong of a competitor. The Innovation Quarter is over 20 years old (started out as Piedmont Triad Research Park) now you have Durham just now starting up its own downtown Innovation Quarter and they are landing the big fish over there despite Winston-Salem having a 20 plus year head start. Charlotte and the Triangle areas are just too attractive and the Triad gets overlooked. The area's city, corporate leaders and developers just aren't doing enough. In part I think its an image problem. Charlotte and Raleigh both have that cosmopolitan image. The Triad still has that rural to small city image to outsiders and that is how the area is stereotyped and portrayed when its featured in the national spotlight on TV and media. I remember when Greensboro was an audition site for the TV show X Factor one year. The city was portrayed as a one stop light kind of town. A local lady was asked what Greensboro was best known for and she said country music and grits. The producers of the show picked a day and time when downtown was dead, probably on an early Sunday morning which is the only time downtown is dead as with most cities. No one was on the streets and they showed clips of trash blowing across the street like tumble weed with old western ghost town type music playing in the background. Simon Cowell then asks where is everyone and a lady says the whole town is at the Greensboro Coliseum. It irritates me when Greensboro is portrayed like that. No we are not New York City or Atlanta but we are certainly much bigger and cultured than the show portrayed the city.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to become leaders and not settle as being followers. I agree what you said in regards to the Triad doing what other cities have already done. You never get ahead that way.
Oh cry me a river. Please stop blaming all of the Triad’s problems with population and economic growth on Charlotte and the Triangle. It’s a never ending theme. It’s like the alcoholic blaming the liquor store for their addictions. Apple and Google chose the Triangle for specific reasons and even if they didn’t chose the Triangle that does not mean they would have naturally gravitated to the Triad.

With all of the positives happening that makes the state of NC look attractive nationally in terms of best places to live, work, and play, you only have to ask yourself why are companies and relocators continually picking those other metros? The Triad has more control over its destiny than you will admit.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:09 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Oh cry me a river. Please stop blaming all of the Triad’s problems with population and economic growth on Charlotte and the Triangle. It’s a never ending theme. It’s like the alcoholic blaming the liquor store for their addictions. Apple and Google chose the Triangle for specific reasons and even if they didn’t chose the Triangle that does not mean they would have naturally gravitated to the Triad.

With all of the positives happening that makes the state of NC look attractive nationally in terms of best places to live, work, and play, you only have to ask yourself why are companies and relocators continually picking those other metros? The Triad has more control over its destiny than you will admit.
+Triangle and Charlotte's growth should help Triad. Triad makes its own problems worse by Ripping up potential rail, not investing in downtown (Gboro specifically) and not thinking ahead. Raleigh and Charlotte both think ahead. Greensboro and/or Winston should too.

If you want a good example of something recently... the AC Hotel has the potential to walk out of the ballpark development since Greensboro wants to what... redo the roads first??. So pathetic and backward. If you have a solid tenant, make them stay! AC isnt too happy about this either.

Also the airport. PVD and BUF are both the same size region as the Triad. The service provided is minimal. I understand CLT and RDU are nearby, but so is BOS and BDL to PVD, and YYZ, YTZ and ROC to BUF... GSO's airport committee has not help the Triad bring in any new capitall. The Urban Planners are so backwards in Guilford COunty.. its a city WITH a lot of potential, but TERRIBLE leadership.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:49 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Please understand that city and county leaders aren't miracle workers. Greensboro is a blue collar post-industrial city with an egregiously high crime rate and an underskilled/undereducated workforce. If you're seriously a proponent of light rail as opposed to improvements of the current surface bus sysytem, then you haven't spent enough time here. One of Greensboro's strong suits is its road system and it's nowhere near capacity. Light rail is an idea whose time hasn't come. The Publix distribution center is a home run. The new Urban Loop is a home run. The Randolph megasite has the potential to be a grand slam. These are great steps for the Triad that show leadership and vision. And being halfway between two mega metros does far more harm than good. The truth is that Greensboro simply doesn't play in that league, and false bravado isn't going to change the fact. Apple and Google aren't coming to town. Good paying blue collar jobs are the holy grail for Greensboro and its where the effort must be directed. If the economy holds out and with luck, Greensboro's greatest hope can be for slow and steady growth.

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-18-2021 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-18-2021, 04:56 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
The AC hotel....I'm almost always on the side of a developer who wants to spend his money here, and this time is no different. I just don't think it's completely cut and dried. The city promised its taxpayers specific improvements that are already behind schedule and they do have a responsibility to deliver. It's a tough spot but in this instance, my opinion is that beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-18-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point