Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 10:46 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Meh its just a “winston is better!” “No gbo is!!” “Nuh uhh!!”

Lol
honestly, they should be thinking about projects like light rail that have stops throughout the triads two largest cities, cities were so ambitious back in the late 30s, I heard winston actually had a trolley system, with lines, and Greensboro had street cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 11:03 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
honestly, they should be thinking about projects like light rail that have stops throughout the triads two largest cities, cities were so ambitious back in the late 30s, I heard winston actually had a trolley system, with lines, and Greensboro had street cars.
Yeah im not sure why thats not on the table.

Greensboro and Winston (let alone the whole triangle…) desperately need rail.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah im not sure why thats not on the table.

Greensboro and Winston (let alone the whole triangle…) desperately need rail.
I think America isn’t behind the times when it comes to rail, look how long it’s taken us to start planning/constructing high speed rail.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:56 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
I was strongly against rails to trails in Greensboro. They ripped up an abandoned rail line from downtown through northwest Greensboro which could have been a great light rail line at some point in the future. The rail could have coexisted with the trail. That's the problem with Greensboro. It thinks 10 years ahead but doesn't think 30 or 40 years ahead.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:04 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I was strongly against rails to trails in Greensboro. They ripped up an abandoned rail line from downtown through northwest Greensboro which could have been a great light rail line at some point in the future. The rail could have coexisted with the trail. That's the problem with Greensboro. It thinks 10 years ahead but doesn't think 30 or 40 years ahead.
I'm generally a proponent for light rail, but I don't think it's a great fit for either Triad city due to expense and a general lack of density. I think BRT might be a better option for the Triad as it accomplishes many of the same things with a lot less cost.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:21 PM

511 posts, read 510,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm generally a proponent for light rail, but I don't think it's a great fit for either Triad city due to expense and a general lack of density. I think BRT might be a better option for the Triad as it accomplishes many of the same things with a lot less cost.
I've never been a fan of this argument. A light rail will encourage density. Just look at how much Charlotte has changed along the Blue Line. I know Charlotte is a much larger city than any Triad city, but it's proof that if you want density a light rail will bring it. That goes for the Triangle too. Duke really screwed them.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I've never been a fan of this argument. A light rail will encourage density. Just look at how much Charlotte has changed along the Blue Line. I know Charlotte is a much larger city than any Triad city, but it's proof that if you want density a light rail will bring it. That goes for the Triangle too. Duke really screwed them.
Durham residents in general were really against that light rail proposal, and I honestly don’t blame them.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I understand the idea behind light rail and helping density. But I'm not sure that would apply in the Triad. Just because it helped Charlotte doesn't mean that would apply to Greensboro and/or Winston-Salem.

It's not really difficult to get from any one place to any other and there are no obvious routes for it to go. Again, I usually like light rail. I don't see it as a fit in the Triad.

The Triangle on the other hand should look again.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:23 AM

97 posts, read 70,953 times
Quote:
I understand the idea behind light rail and helping density. But I'm not sure that would apply in the Triad. Just because it helped Charlotte doesn't mean that would apply to Greensboro and/or Winston-Salem.

It's not really difficult to get from any one place to any other and there are no obvious routes for it to go. Again, I usually like light rail. I don't see it as a fit in the Triad.

Rail transit on its own doesn't magically create density - it has to be accompanied by land use policy that encourages denser, pedestrian-oriented development. Think of the rail as the skeleton that supports the denser development. High-capacity transit allows the development to be less auto-oriented; dense, pedestrian-oriented development encourages use of the transit. It's a symbiotic relationship.

And, there's no reason it wouldn't succeed in the Triad if both of those issues were addressed simultaneously. The Triad is low density because it has had decades of investment in auto infrastructure and decades of land use policy that encourage - practically mandate - low-density, auto-oriented development. If this paradigm was changed, the built environment would change too. It might not be a smashing success on a 10-year horizon, but this would be a 100-year investment to reshape the region.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:13 AM

511 posts, read 510,600 times
Quote:

Right. I mainly saw the "not dense enough" excuse being thrown around when Raleigh was trying to get a light rail going. I just think it's a weak argument. It's also funny that Greensboro had an electric street car system in 1902. This current system of everyone having a car to drive everywhere is just the way it is, but it doesn't HAVE to be this way. Although, I am not optimistic it will change.

But I agree with you that's it's not difficult to get around the Triad right now. I don't think our leaders here will start taking light rail seriously any time soon. I don't think it's a problem of density, the problem is lack of vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point