Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 04:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Interesting.

However, Greensboro is finaly on the actual path towards real organic growth as the jobs continue to come in these days, They must not rely on annexation, that is essentialy cheating, and not really "growth", that could have been this cities downfall if Greensboro had remained complacent and only relied on annexation to put a bandaid on their "3rd largest" status, do you remember the last city leaders of Greensboro, or the last partnership? Those were "old money" individuals that would have "probably" let big opportunities like Honda Aircraft corp, Honda jet, Haeco, ARCH, kontoor, Fedex Hub , Centric brands or Publix go without much of a fight.

That's thousands of jobs right there that couldv'e been lost, and many lost opportunities for future growth gone out the window. Securing Greensboro as a failure and an example of a city to avoid becoming. Thank god, that's not the case.

Jobs grow cities. It's not about what can stop durham, it's about what we can learn from durham. I can care less about durham passing greensboro in population, what i care about are Greensboro and the triad as a whole keeping up and expanding on the momentum we are starting.. the triad has potential to be the next big thing, articles like this are a good indication of that...we just have to keep pushing the envelope and thinking outside the box.
Very well said, i agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Interesting.

However, Greensboro is finaly on the actual path towards real organic growth as the jobs continue to come in these days, They must not rely on annexation, that is essentialy cheating, and not really "growth", that could have been this cities downfall if Greensboro had remained complacent and only relied on annexation to put a bandaid on their "3rd largest" status, do you remember the last city leaders of Greensboro, or the last partnership? Those were "old money" individuals that would have "probably" let big opportunities like Honda Aircraft corp, Honda jet, Haeco, ARCH, kontoor, Fedex Hub , Centric brands or Publix go without much of a fight.

That's thousands of jobs right there that couldv'e been lost, and many lost opportunities for future growth gone out the window. Securing Greensboro as a failure and an example of a city to avoid becoming. Thank god, that's not the case.

Jobs grow cities. It's not about what can stop durham, it's about what we can learn from durham. I can care less about durham passing greensboro in population, what i care about are Greensboro and the triad as a whole keeping up and expanding on the momentum we are starting.. the triad has potential to be the next big thing, articles like this are a good indication of that...we just have to keep pushing the envelope and thinking outside the box.

Good points. Organic job growth is key

Old 07-25-2019, 04:08 AM

10 posts, read 8,388 times
Default Volvo

Don’t forget Volvo who employs 2000 people here..

Old 07-27-2019, 06:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration because even if those companies were to set up shop outside the city limits, they would most likely be in the suburbs and Greensboro would still be the major beneficiary of growth due to those companies. Plus companies like the ones you mentioned aren't exactly known to spur urban residential development. But you will see lots of tract housing subdivisions spring up along the fringes on old farmland and such and I'm sure the suburbs have captured some of that growth. The bulk of the complaints would likely be over loss of municipal tax revenue but otherwise, local leaders see economic trends on a regional level for the most part and not on a municipal level.

Quote:
The overall health of cities is what counts the most. Population growth is typically an indicator of such but it doesn't have to be gangbusters, lightning speed growth.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 PM

118 posts, read 78,488 times
Why does Greensboro feel the need to protect its "3rd largest city" status by "stopping" Durham ? What difference does it make if Durham becomes larger than Greensboro, or stays smaller than Greensboro ? Nobody really cares.

Durham is experiencing explosive population / job growth for several reasons:

1. It's home to a top ten national research university.
2. It's very close to two other nationally-ranked research universities.
3. It's part of the Research Triangle Park.
4. It has done an excellent job in generating organic job growth in both the Life Science and IT fields.
5. It is constructing a new downtown Innovation District which will eventually rival anything in the country, when complete.
6. Basically, Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, RTP and Durham are growing into one large entity.

Greensboro has an excellent base with Honda Jet, and that's the area where efforts & energy need to be focused. The FedEx and Publix jobs are nice, but they tend to be "one offs" and don't generate additional or high paying jobs. I also think that it's a waste to keep pouring money in the "megasite in Randolph County. Very unlikely that a car plant will ever be built there.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:55 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
Why does Greensboro feel the need to protect its "3rd largest city" status by "stopping" Durham ?
"Greensboro" doesn't. A couple of over the top posters on here do.

Quote:
I also think that it's a waste to keep pouring money in the "megasite in Randolph County. Very unlikely that a car plant will ever be built there.
I disagree. The megasite can accommodate many more industries other than automobile manufacturing.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 PM

118 posts, read 78,488 times
What other industries, other than automobile manufacturing, are being targeted for these so-called megasites ? Not just the Greensboro, but any of them ? There are empty "megasites" all over the country; several in North Carolina.

Merck recently announced a major expansion to their existing Durham pharmaceutical facilities, but I don't see anything like that going to the Randolph County site. Is Dell Computers coming back ? I suspect Dell makes their stuff in China and South Korea.

Any large "megasite" factory of the future will be highly automated, with few human workers.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:29 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
What other industries, other than automobile manufacturing, are being targeted for these so-called megasites ?
Any type of advanced manufacturing...appliances, electronics, tire manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, aerospace, etc.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Why does Greensboro feel the need to protect its "3rd largest city" status by "stopping" Durham ? What difference does it make if Durham becomes larger than Greensboro, or stays smaller than Greensboro ? Nobody really cares.

Durham is experiencing explosive population / job growth for several reasons:

1. It's home to a top ten national research university.
2. It's very close to two other nationally-ranked research universities.
3. It's part of the Research Triangle Park.
4. It has done an excellent job in generating organic job growth in both the Life Science and IT fields.
5. It is constructing a new downtown Innovation District which will eventually rival anything in the country, when complete.
6. Basically, Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, RTP and Durham are growing into one large entity.

Greensboro has an excellent base with Honda Jet, and that's the area where efforts & energy need to be focused. The FedEx and Publix jobs are nice, but they tend to be "one offs" and don't generate additional or high paying jobs. I also think that it's a waste to keep pouring money in the "megasite in Randolph County. Very unlikely that a car plant will ever be built there.
i Agree, Greensboro needs to focus on it's main stregnths, aerospace and advanced manufacturing are whats moving the economy out of the blue collar furniture and textile age, focusing on stregnthening core companies should take priority over luring mega companies to dessolate megasites. However publix was a nice example of what can happen when everything is in the right place and will nodoubt be a major cataylst in further developments popping up around the site area.

Honda Aircraft company is the big one, as we push forward into more larger jets like the elite, and with a growing intererst in even larger commercial jets in the near future, Honda jet is going to become a rather large economic engine, HJ has proved extremely popular with fleet sales, which is an excelent strategy, however our ceo Michimasa Fujino said HJ will have a workforce north of 4000 by 2023. We are half way there(i work at Honda Jet).

Last edited by YinXyang; 07-29-2019 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 04:31 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
What other industries, other than automobile manufacturing, are being targeted for these so-called megasites ? Not just the Greensboro, but any of them ? There are empty "megasites" all over the country; several in North Carolina.
Triangle Tire is building a plant at the Kingsboro megasite in Edgecombe County and Corning is building a distribution center beside it.

Corning warehouse starts to take shape - Rocky Mount Telegram

Like Edward said, megasites are also good for things that doesn’t involve auto manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point