Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times

Advertisements

Who cares if you heard of them or not? Its not about you being satisfied with the name recognition of the company, its about the capital investment, jobs, salaries, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Who cares if you heard of them or not? Its not about you being satisfied with the name recognition of the company, its about the capital investment, jobs, salaries, etc.
I think the concern is staying power. It's certainly better than nothing, but this seems to fully hinge on the USPS contract. Without it, Mahindra has a long way to go to break into the US auto market.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I think the concern is staying power. It's certainly better than nothing, but this seems to fully hinge on the USPS contract. Without it, Mahindra has a long way to go to break into the US auto market.
But the fact that one person isn't familiar with the company has nothing to do with the the company's business prospects. There are lots of successful companies that I've never heard of.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
This is the Triad's only mega site and I'd like to see "a big fish" don't know if I'd want this site to be wasted on a mediocre operation. Not trying to knock the company but I think we can do better for this site. I would prefer a major car manufacturer opening up an electric car assembly plant there. There are a lot of car assembly plants in the southeast but I don't think there are any electric car assembly plants in the southeast.
Mahindra is a very big fish when it comes to light and heavy duty vehicles, This would be a decent win for the Area, Jobs are jobs, thousands of jobs infact.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
The problem I have is this facility manufacturing tractors. Hypothetically speaking, if this company built a facility on the megasite and all they'd do is manufacture tractors or heavy duty vehicles, the Triad would lose out on ever getting a real automobile assembly plant. Even if they manufacture cars, they are new in the American market and who's to say sales don't pan out to what they want them to be and they close the plant. Its hard to see Americans everywhere driving Mahindras. Yes it would be a big deal in terms of jobs but I still think we can do better. Honda has invested heavily in Greensboro with Honda Jet. What if Honda later in the future decides it wants to build an electric car assembly plant in the southeast? The Greensboro-Randolph Mega site would be high on Honda's list because of its investment in the Greensboro area. I think we need to hold out for something more transformative for the local economy , not just settle for something just because it looks big on paper.

But honestly Mahindra probably won't come. Like the media said, its Michigan's to lose.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-13-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Exactly. For an area which needs solid investments, some people are being foolishly picky.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The problem I have is this facility manufacturing tractors.
It won't manufacture tractors.

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if this company built a facility on the megasite and all they'd do is manufacture tractors or heavy duty vehicles, the Triad would lose out on ever getting a real automobile assembly plant.
So what? Tax base is tax base and jobs are jobs.

Quote:
Even if they manufacture cars, they are new in the American market.
Make up your mind...are they building tractors or cars? In any event, they have an existing plant in Michigan, which is part of America.

Quote:
Yes it would be a big deal in terms of jobs but I still think we can do better. Honda has invested heavily in Greensboro with Honda Jet. What if Honda later in the future decides it wants to build an electric car assembly plant in the southeast? The Greensboro-Randolph Mega site would be high on Honda's list because of its investment in the Greensboro area. I think we need to hold out for something more transformative for the local economy , not just settle for something just because it looks big on paper.
Better how? Why would an electric car plant be "more transformative"?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,038 times
Quote:
The problem I have is this facility manufacturing tractors. Hypothetically speaking, if this company built a facility on the megasite and all they'd do is manufacture tractors or heavy duty vehicles, the Triad would lose out on ever getting a real automobile assembly plant. Even if they manufacture cars, they are new in the American market and who's to say sales don't pan out to what they want them to be and they close the plant. Its hard to see Americans everywhere driving Mahindras. Yes it would be a big deal in terms of jobs but I still think we can do better. Honda has invested heavily in Greensboro with Honda Jet. What if Honda later in the future decides it wants to build an electric car assembly plant in the southeast? The Greensboro-Randolph Mega site would be high on Honda's list because of its investment in the Greensboro area. I think we need to hold out for something more transformative for the local economy , not just settle for something just because it looks big on paper.

But honestly Mahindra probably won't come. Like the media said, its Michigan's to lose.
Jobs are jobs. We'd be talking thousands of good paying jobs. If this company were to want to relocate here, it would be idiotic to pass in the hope that maybe in a decade of two Honda (or some other "bigger fish") might want to consider relocating here.

But I also feel that if this company were serious about relocating here, you'd have a much different tone.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
It's a fair statement. Mahindra is the #3 or #4 brand in India and their sales in the US are negligible. They mainly sell tractors in the US (they're India's #1 tractor manufacturer) and I believe the first passenger vehicle they launched in North America is the ROXOR, which is a knock-off of an early-model Jeep. (That's not a knock. Mahindra had the contract to produce Jeeps in India after WWII, so their vehicles don't just resemble old CJs. They're straight-up copies.)

Mahindra has around 25 % Market share of Tractor sales in India. It is a very competitive market. Basically what Maindra did was that they purchased stake in some Government owned and subsidised companies which used to manufacture Tractors based on design and technology from Communist era countries.

An Indian Government Organistation : Central Mechanical Research Institute in collaboration with Soviet era companies from Czechoslovakia and funding from Government built subsidised Tractors in India. Mahindra just purchased those companies in late 1990s or early 2000s and became a big Tractor manufacturer.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 PM

118 posts, read 78,593 times
North Carolina is not going to get any sort of automobile manufacturing plant. Ever. That shipped sailed when Jim Hunt was unable to land a plant back in the 1990's. Everything went to SC, GA, Alabama, Korea, etc.

The Greensboro-Randolph mega-site would be better off splitting into smaller parcels, and courting smaller companies. Sort of like the former cigarette plant in Concord being "repurposed" and landing a Carvana used car lot-distribution warehouse.

Carvana is the future, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point