Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 06:18 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
The article is misleading IMO. It would appear that Nashville would rank much higher than Chattanooga (it does on everyone else's lists). Forbes also uses strange metrics in creating their "Best Universities" list etc. Forbes is Forbes I guess.
The age-old percentages vs raw numbers argument. Just go to the original source and see what's actually being measured/studied for more clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 08:45 PM

88 posts, read 72,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The age-old percentages vs raw numbers argument. Just go to the original source and see what's actually being measured/studied for more clarity.
I did --- Manpower was the original source Ha Ha (didn't even know they were still around).

It's clear to me that "Manpower" excluded cities / areas like Nashville, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, Southern California etc. in this "report".

You know the old saying: there are statistics, damned statistics and lies. This Forbes report was worthless IMO. Chattanooga beat the Bay Area ???

Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I did --- Manpower was the original source Ha Ha (didn't even know they were still around).

It's clear to me that "Manpower" excluded cities / areas like Nashville, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, Southern California etc. in this "report".

You know the old saying: there are statistics, damned statistics and lies. This Forbes report was worthless IMO. Chattanooga beat the Bay Area ???
As you yourself said in your previous post, "I went back and reread the article and noticed that it was based upon Manpower surveys (which captures all types of jobs) and was also based upon percentages rather than actual numbers or job types." When looking at projected rates of growth, it makes sense--just as smaller cities often post higher population growth rates than large cities and the same principle applies here which is how it's entirely feasible the cities you mention aren't at the top of the list. People regularly get bent out of shape when it comes to the use of percentages/rates but I don't have an issue with that because it serves its purpose. I haven't looked through all of the original report but I think the most important part of it is the *types* of jobs projected to be created, which the article suggests is included. That sheds more meaningful light on the subject IMO.

Also keep in mind this is only looking at 1Q2020, not 2020 in its entirety.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:16 AM

88 posts, read 72,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As you yourself said in your previous post, "I went back and reread the article and noticed that it was based upon Manpower surveys (which captures all types of jobs) and was also based upon percentages rather than actual numbers or job types." When looking at projected rates of growth, it makes sense--just as smaller cities often post higher population growth rates than large cities and the same principle applies here which is how it's entirely feasible the cities you mention aren't at the top of the list. People regularly get bent out of shape when it comes to the use of percentages/rates but I don't have an issue with that because it serves its purpose. I haven't looked through all of the original report but I think the most important part of it is the *types* of jobs projected to be created, which the article suggests is included. That sheds more meaningful light on the subject IMO.

Also keep in mind this is only looking at 1Q2020, not 2020 in its entirety.

Actually, the phrase I meant to quote is "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Most folks are interested in two things: what type of job is being created and how many of these types of jobs are being created. Anyway, Chattanooga sounds like a lovely place.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Actually, the phrase I meant to quote is "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Most folks are interested in two things: what type of job is being created and how many of these types of jobs are being created. Anyway, Chattanooga sounds like a lovely place.
Agreed. Sometimes you have to really comb through the data to get the meat in these studies, but more often than not it's there. And Chattanooga really is a great place. It's good that more folks are spending time and money there but I also hope that a good amount of well-paying jobs are headed its way.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:03 AM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Forbes makes the nuttiest lists. Chattanooga TN is the number one job producer in the Solar System. Wow.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Forbes makes the nuttiest lists. Chattanooga TN is the number one job producer in the Solar System. Wow.
If you're going to troll, at least be original.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:16 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
All I am saying is that Forbes uses different "stats" for their "Best Of" lists. I am simply expressing my opinion. You may feel free to disagree.

Did I do something to offend you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point