Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 07:28 PM

20 posts, read 16,827 times

Advertisements

VS

i see greensboro vs winston or high point comparisons on here all the time

but i never seen anyone else compare it to burlington , another 4th major city of the triad.

which of the two ranks supreme overall in your eyes?

things to do (parks, museums, attractions, shows movies, etc)

shopping

eating/dining

housing / living costs

job market

infrastructure

crime rates

human interactions

education

Last edited by ushighway74; 01-06-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 PM

597 posts, read 448,679 times
I can see Burlington winning in housing costs, and maybe crime rate... but thats about it. Perhaps Burlington vs High Point would be a more fair contest.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Greensboro in every category, hands down. Not even close. But comparing a city of 300,000 to a city of 50,000 is unfair and doesn't really make sense.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
no comparison.
Greensboro:

Burlington:

Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
I will say Burlington has a lot of retail for a city its size but still no comparison to Greensboro.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I will say Burlington has a lot of retail for a city its size but still no comparison to Greensboro.
where?

Old 01-07-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
where?
In reference to Alamance Crossing and all the outlet centers.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 PM

70 posts, read 76,964 times
Unfortunately, there's no real comparison between Burlington and Greensboro. The size difference is just too great. The west side of Burlington near Alamance Crossings, Mackintosh on the Lake, University Commons, Waterford is nice but there aren't that many areas in Burlington like that. Greensboro has far more nice neighborhoods and shopping options.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:27 PM

Charlotte has Concord outside its city limits. I see Burlington as Greensboro's Concord. Greensboro is leaps and bounds ahead of Burlington.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:06 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Charlotte has Concord outside its city limits. I see Burlington as Greensboro's Concord. Greensboro is leaps and bounds ahead of Burlington.
I think this is a good comparison, assuming the population of each is divided into 2 or 3 compared to the Charlotte metro.

Overall, there's no comparison in saying Greensboro has more options related to shopping, dining, and things to do. By infrastructure, you'd have to define what you mean (traffic?, highway system/layout? bus service?, age of sewer?, parks?, etc.).

Also, in terms of education, Greensboro has a wider array of colleges and universities (Not counting the community college system, 5 are located within Greensboro's city limits versus Burlington which only has Elon in an adjoining town). As far as K-12, it depends on perspective because the Guilford County school system has a sharper divide between the haves and have nots in the school system, when it comes to socioeconomic conditions and school resources. Crime rates depends entirely on the crime and the time period looked at, but I don't see a huge difference between the two.

Burlington gets a slight edge to cost of living/housing costs, but it's not dramatically cheaper to live there, so it wouldn't make much sense to live in Burlington and commute to Greensboro just for cheaper housing costs unless there was some other reason for preferring Burlington.

The job market question depends on how you look at it. If we're talking about living in one place and finding a job within the city limits of one's residence, I would give an edge to Greensboro simply because of a more diversified, complex economy (though Burlington has some diversified opportunities such as Labcorp). However, if the question posed is asking about the job market within an hour's drive, I'd give a slight edge to Burlington because it not only includes most of the Triad, but pulls in some of the Triangle which may be a hot job market, depending on one's field.

Where it becomes even more subjective is "human interactions". My impression is that the differences are subtle. Burlington strikes me as a tad more laid back than Greensboro, with fewer rushed "stuffed shirts" (which in my subjective opinion seem more prevalent in Northwest Greensboro than elsewhere in Greensboro). But Greensboro is more diverse, so there's a better chance of finding someone that shares eclectic interests than in Burlington, where people and their tastes tend to be a bit more on the conservative side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point