Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 16,827 times

Advertisements

a buddy of mine works at usps and normally runs routes in burlington (as well as mcleansville and gibsonville), but as of lately, he ran 2 winston salem routes and 3 greensboro routes over the past 2 weeks

and says winston salem is the hardest of the three with the traffic congestions, and a few confusing road designs (lanes that end at random). and if he has to deliver anything along nc 66, or on "us-311", it can be a pain because those highways switch routes multiple times. also people cut him off, tailgate him even on 2 lane residential roads, speed, and intentionally dont let him in

i personally think every city has its share of this, but i find burlington more pleasurable to drive thru, since i shop there on weekends (i live around us- 70 in mcleansville so burlington is a straight shot down 70 for me), also not as many traffic bottle necks in burlington, as with greensboro and other cities.

also 70 and then the nc highways 62 54 87, etc are very easy to follow they are fairly straight and mostly routed on their own roads, and, burlington only has / needs ONE freeway (i-40)

what's your take on it guys?

Last edited by ushighway74; 02-20-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 06:57 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
I'm sure Burlington is easier to drive around in; its much smaller, has much less economic activity and therefore much less traffic. I hope thats not a surprise to anyone.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:02 PM

a buddy of mine works at usps and normally runs routes in burlington (as well as mcleansville and gibsonville), but as of lately, he ran 2 winston salem routes and 3 greensboro routes over the past 2 weeks

and says winston salem is the hardest of the three with the traffic congestions, and a few confusing road designs (lanes that end at random). and if he has to deliver anything along nc 66, or on "us-311", it can be a pain because those highways switch routes multiple times. also people cut him off, tailgate him even on 2 lane residential roads, speed, and intentionally dont let him in

i personally think every city has its share of this, but i find burlington more pleasurable to drive thru, since i shop there on weekends (i live around us- 70 in mcleansville so burlington is a straight shot down 70 for me),
also not as many traffic bottle necks in burlington, as with greensboro and other cities, and people more likely to adhere to speed limits and are not as aggressive

also 70 and then the nc highways 62 54 87, etc are very easy to follow they are fairly straight and mostly routed on their own roads, and, burlington only has / needs ONE freeway (i-40)

what's your take on it guys?

Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 AM

Sry. Meant to edit first post but my web browser acted up

Old 08-07-2020, 04:37 PM

110 posts, read 182,853 times
I KNEW there was at least one reason why our search for relocation keeps taking me back to the Burlington NC area! More helpful post than some. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:13 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Perhaps Winston has more traffic congestion than other Triad cities, but it nowhere so congested that it should make anyone avoid living or visiting the area. People in other cities and region would laugh at the notion that anywhere in the Triad is congested or difficult to drive.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 7,334 times
I always attributed Winston-Salem having more traffic due to the fact that it doesn't have as modern or as big of highways(number of lanes) as other cities. Your stuck on 4 lane highways like 52.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:18 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
yes. Winston-Salem really needs an upgrade freeway system with more lanes. Highway 52 and Salem Parkway are both two lanes in each direction. Greensboro has very few highways like that now and of course I-85 through Burlington has 8 lanes.

The cloverleaf interchange at Highway 52 and Salem parkway is outdated. Most new interchange includes flyover ramps and stack bridges like in Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. A number of accidents have happened at that interchange with people trying to exit and enter the highway. Similar situation with the I-40 and hwy 52 interchange.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 PM

597 posts, read 448,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
yes. Winston-Salem really needs an upgrade freeway system with more lanes. Highway 52 and Salem Parkway are both two lanes in each direction. Greensboro has very few highways like that now and of course I-85 through Burlington has 8 lanes.

The cloverleaf interchange at Highway 52 and Salem parkway is outdated. Most new interchange includes flyover ramps and stack bridges like in Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. A number of accidents have happened at that interchange with people trying to exit and enter the highway. Similar situation with the I-40 and hwy 52 interchange.

Those 2 Cloverleaf's in Winston Salem can be brutal.... at least the one at Salem Parkway and Silas Creek has the collector/distribution lane going eastbound. I remember reading a few years ago that there is a plan to rebuild the 40/52 interchange at some point in the future... at this point probably the 2030's.

It would probably take 500 million dollars to widen 52 through the entire city. Can't see that happening. Once the eastern loop is completed to Salem Parkway... that should take some of the traffic off of 52. They aren't going to add more lanes to Salem..... I think 40 has enough lanes through town....although I know they do plan to add an extra lane between the 74/40 interchange and the Salem Parkway/40 interchange sometime later this decade.. though Im sure thats been pushed back.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Those 2 Cloverleaf's in Winston Salem can be brutal.... at least the one at Salem Parkway and Silas Creek has the collector/distribution lane going eastbound. I remember reading a few years ago that there is a plan to rebuild the 40/52 interchange at some point in the future... at this point probably the 2030's.

It would probably take 500 million dollars to widen 52 through the entire city. Can't see that happening. Once the eastern loop is completed to Salem Parkway... that should take some of the traffic off of 52. They aren't going to add more lanes to Salem..... I think 40 has enough lanes through town....although I know they do plan to add an extra lane between the 74/40 interchange and the Salem Parkway/40 interchange sometime later this decade.. though Im sure thats been pushed back.
You probably right. Similar to Greensboro. With the I-785 leg of the loop directing people from Virginia to Charlotte and Raleigh, I can't see any upgrades to Hwy 29 through Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point