Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM

185 posts, read 197,072 times

Advertisements

Read today where Harris Teeter is closing the market st location. And also that the remaining stores will no longer be 24hrs. I wonder If this is due to all the new brands of grocery stores coming into the aera? In the end only the strongest will survive. Just imagine in a few years there could be no more Harris Teeters. Surly the one at Friendly is doing good and I couldnt imagine that huge one closing up thou... Also wonder what will move into the Market St location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM

597 posts, read 440,352 times
Shame. That is by far the easier Harris Teeter to get into and out of... though the layout inside is a bit different that the others. Hate that all of the Harris Teeters are closing at midnight,. as I prefer to shop late at night as opposed to during the day.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:31 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,557,382 times
That's unfortunate. My theory is that this location closed due to the proximity of working class neighborhoods with lots of apartments nearby, which are deemed not as profitable.

Since the mid 1990's Harris Teeter's infamous business model has been closing existing stores in lower/moderate-income and rural areas more than just about any grocery store I can think of, if you compare where their stores used to be and which stores have closed. Of course, Starmount is also close by, but that is also close to the Friendly location.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 AM

597 posts, read 440,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's unfortunate. My theory is that this location closed due to the proximity of working class neighborhoods with lots of apartments nearby, which are deemed not as profitable.

Since the mid 1990's Harris Teeter's infamous business model has been closing existing stores in lower/moderate-income and rural areas more than just about any grocery store I can think of, if you compare where their stores used to be and which stores have closed. Of course, Starmount is also close by, but that is also close to the Friendly location.

I remember when they had a Harris Teeter on Randleman Road.... its now an Aldi. My favorite Harris Teeter was the one at Golden Gate....... it was the perfect size for me.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:28 AM

185 posts, read 197,072 times
Oddly enough as I was driving to the gym at golden gate shopping center. I pass the old Harris Tetter there on Cone and I noticed a huge Harris Tetter truck drive to it and thru the parking lot. Made me kinda wonder if they plan on opening that location back. I think that shopping center is called Executive something? Looks like a abandoned shopping strip with nothing in it now. Anyone know of any plans for that place or how long it's been empty?

Old 03-03-2020, 06:42 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,463,776 times
I’m pretty sure this is one of the old Kroger locations they took during the ‘store swap’ in 1999. I believe they subdivided this one between HT and let Planet Fitness take the rest of the space.

I don’t think HT ever touched this location, which is usually a tell tale sign for them that the store isn’t long for the world.
I think the one on Cone that was also mentioned was an old Kroger too.

I wouldn’t put all the new players as a reason that HT closing the 24 hour stores. It’s moreso a trend in the retail world away from 24 hr stores:

-Walmart has reduced hours at some stores a couple of years back
-The Wegmans store in Raleigh is not 24 hours and neither are the two near Richmond
-Publix has no 24 hour stores to close.(they never did)
-An overwhelming majority of the Food Lions are not 24 hours, either.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 03-03-2020 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I’m pretty sure this is one of the old Kroger locations they took during the ‘store swap’ in 1999. I believe they subdivided this one between HT and let Planet Fitness take the rest of the space.

I don’t think HT ever touched this location, which is usually a tell tale sign for them that the store isn’t long for the world.
I think the one on Cone that was also mentioned was an old Kroger too.
You're correct- the store on the corner of Cone Blvd and North Church Street was an old Kroger. I remember going to this grocery store in the mid to late 1990's. This is a street view photo, on North Church Street heading south towards Cone Boulevard.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZcVGKPTaDLEzDjDL8

Old 03-03-2020, 10:04 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,669,416 times
We have the world’s largest HT here in New Bern. It opened a little over a year ago. When it opened the store closed at midnight. I ask one of the managers Why not 24 hour operations. She said a disproportionate amount of shop lifting occurred on what had been the night shift.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:30 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,463,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
You're correct- the store on the corner of Cone Blvd and North Church Street was an old Kroger. I remember going to this grocery store in the mid to late 1990's. This is a street view photo, on North Church Street heading south towards Cone Boulevard.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZcVGKPTaDLEzDjDL8
The guy who runs Groceteria did a post on all of the old Kroger stores in Greensboro. I’m actually surprised HT had opened a store in the Bridford Parkway location.

https://www.groceteria.com/place/nor...in-greensboro/

Old 03-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
The guy who runs Groceteria did a post on all of the old Kroger stores in Greensboro. I’m actually surprised HT had opened a store in the Bridford Parkway location.

https://www.groceteria.com/place/nor...in-greensboro/
Thanks for the link and interesting contemporary history. The Food Lion in the old Kroger on West Market Street (across W. Market from Harris Teeter that is closing) is pretty large for a FL, indicative of being occupied by Kroger. Around the mid 1990's, there was some pretty significant shuffling of grocery stores in this area. I always liked Kroger. Unlike the Triangle which lost its Kroger stores in the last year or two, Kroger had vacated the Triad about twenty years previously.

The Harris Teeter used to be in the same shopping center as the Shoe Market, just east of the current Harris Teeter. Food Lion used to be on the opposite end of the shopping center where Harris Teeter currently is. That was a very small and older style Food Lion. That was until Kroger left, and they moved to their current location mentioned in the article you linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point