U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 12:17 PM

52 posts, read 35,092 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We’re planning a relocation and Greensboro is at the top of the list. One thing we love here near the Canadian border during our 2 Week long summer (lol) is speed boating on open water and jumping off for swims is there anything like that in GB HP WS?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 05:24 PM

12,571 posts, read 23,853,115 times
There certainly are lakes near Greensboro. They are dammed-up river impoundments, so they will be warmer and muddier that you are used to. Some small lakes prohibit motorized boats. Check for public boating areas at Badin Lake and High Rock Lake. They also have good bass fishing. There also a commercial marina at Lake Mackintosh near Alamance.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Thanks! Is it nasty with critters? The Great Lakes will be something to miss. Crystal clear several hundred feet deep of cool water!

Old 05-04-2020, 04:51 AM

3,823 posts, read 4,833,965 times
"Crystal clear several hundred feet deep of cool water!"....nothing like that around here. Lake water here can reach 90 degrees in late summer.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:35 AM

12,571 posts, read 23,853,115 times
Critters? Sure, warmer water encourages life for the fish to feed on. There may be snakes, but people swim anyway.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:37 AM

4,108 posts, read 3,978,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Crystal clear several hundred feet deep of cool water!"....nothing like that around here. Lake water here can reach 90 degrees in late summer.
A friend went to Geneva-On-The-Lake last summer to reminisce with family about their vacations when they were kids. According to him the water on Lake Erie was murky at best. He was upset about the quality change since he was a kid, so he found this water quality test report a month later.

"WATER QUALITY
Passed water quality tests 60-95% of the time
Historical Status
This status is based on the latest sample, taken on August 26th, 2019. Swim Drink Fish Canada - Great Lakes Guide updates the status of this beach as soon as test results become available. These results were posted to Swim Guide on September 5th, 2019 at 10:28 AM."

Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. Most of our time is at Ontario. It’s deeper and clearer than Erie. Nice to be able to go out miles. I’ve been far enough out to not recognize land. Very cool.

Yea by critters I meant snakes. I’d assume they are closer to the shore than the middle. So I guess what I’m asking is, is boating enjoyable? Of course someone would need to have experienced both there and here to make an accurate comparison

Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 AM

4,108 posts, read 3,978,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1987 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Most of our time is at Ontario. It’s deeper and clearer than Erie. Nice to be able to go out miles. I’ve been far enough out to not recognize land. Very cool.

Yea by critters I meant snakes. I’d assume they are closer to the shore than the middle. So I guess what I’m asking is, is boating enjoyable? Of course someone would need to have experienced both there and here to make an accurate comparison
I just did some fact checking, Erie is, by far the most polluted, especially the Ohio/New York side, Ontario is much more as you described.

When I was a kid we used to go to Erie once or twice a year from down state. Occasionally to Ontario, which was a real treat. Although all the GLs were a sweet treat back then. I haven't been back since the early 60's.
As my wife puts it, "Duh, you think things may have change a smidgen in 40 or 50 years?".

North Carolina lakes will be much like gemstone1 predicts. We have noticed a few spots in Lake Norman (which is nearer to Charlotte than Greensboro) where the water temp is slightly more refreshing in the summer.

From Winston-Salem the northern end of Lake Norman is barely an hour away.

We used to have property on Lake Norman and did quite a bit of boating/skiing/sailing/swimming in/on the lake. Never had an issue with snakes. Saw them around the docks periodically, but they stayed clear of us. Muskrats would chew the floating docks and cause repairs every few years. They even chew though the prop shaft seals on boats and have been known to sink those left at the dock for long periods of time

I have an old brown mole on one of my legs. Fish have been known to nibble at it from time to time. Not an injury, just a "Oh crap!", moment when unexpected.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:30 AM

57 posts, read 30,813 times
There are quite a few lakes for boating and swimming within a two hour drive of the Triad. As mentioned above, they are man-made and vary in size. These lakes have been constructed for one of three main reasons: flood control, hydroelectric power, or to provide cooling for an adjacent power station. Water levels fluctuate seasonally in the lakes built for flood/hydro, while they stay pretty steady in the cooling lakes. There are also many smaller lakes that provide municipal water supplies, but they tend to be off-limits for swimming and greatly restrict boating.

Some of the lakes have quite a lot of development along their shores, while others restrict or outright prohibit development. High Rock and Norman are two of the largest lakes in the region, but they are also heavily developed. In my experience, High Rock is busy to the point of being unpleasant and borderline dangerous on any summer weekend, and worse on holidays. I don't have firsthand experience with Lake Norman, but I believe it is the same way (it has essentially become a suburb of Charlotte).

Here are some other lakes that are doable as a day trip from the Triad:

- Belews Lake (north of Greensboro/W-S)
- Hyco Lake (between Roxboro and Danville, VA)
- Lake James (near Morganton)
- Philpott Lake (near Martinsville, VA)
- Smith Mountain Lake (in VA southeast of Roanoke)
- Badin and Tillery (on the Yadkin below High Rock)

Each of these lakes has their own character and group of people who go there (you will discover that it is the same way with beaches and mountain retreats!). I grew up going to Philpott, which is a beautiful, relatively calm mountain lake just 1:15 north of Greensboro. It would certainly meet the criteria for cold water! That lake is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, and there is no housing development on the lake. This is great for keeping the lake less busy, but it means you either have to day trip or camp at one of the campgrounds on the lake. We currently go to Hyco, which is awesome, but you should try all the other lakes first - we don't want the secret getting out

Old 05-10-2020, 06:15 AM

Sounds like I'll find something then! Good. Thanks guys!

Story abut a beach at Erie, as nasty as the lake can be... My bride and I when we had only 2 kids ended up there completely by mistake one Sunday late afternoon. We arrived, by recommendation of a kid working a vending stand in downtown buffalo, in a dirt/gravel parking lot across from a ford plant in an industrial part of town. Reluctantly, we got out and headed toward a large gorgeous brick building clearly part of the "keep people working during the depression in the 30's" initiative. There was a path with sand looking as if it headed to the beach so we hit that. We both looked at each other thinking the same thing: This remind me of Florida (we lived in SoFLA for a while). The soft sand trail went through the woods and then over a large natural dune. That revealed 650+ feet of sand to thousands of feet of beach/water line. A VERY lively tiki bar with 21+ section and rental private huts, at least 1,000 boats all anchored and partying from boat to boat with residencies built on one borer and a cliff with windmills on the other. No possibility of seeing land - and the sun sets directly in the middle of this view. We were amazed to find this in NY, buffalo of all places! It felt almost like the keys.

There is beach glass and fossils to be found easily, and the sand is maintained. Its not Florida but certainly not bad for BUFFALO!

To top it all off, on the other side of the dune, a nice (second) tiki bar ends at natural sand in the woods where waitresses kick off their flip flops to bring you food and drink. Rental private screened in huts, a white linen 10 foot fabric fence, and two stages for bands. The food was awesome and it was like $30! A band came on and was fantastic, they covered Journey, handed my kids (they were the only ones there) tambourines and leaned in to group singe the chorus of Don't Stop Believing with us

Pardon the tangent but its an Erie story about how every place has this hidden gems that are AWESOME to find

Needless to say we've been back many time and other than water quality, it never disappoints

Hopefully there are things like that within a few hours of where we end up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>