Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 28,270 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to the Greensboro area. We drove down from Newburgh, NY a few weeks ago. MapQuest told us to take 81 South to 220. A friend in NC suggested 81 south to I64 to 29 -- this way took us 11 hours with several stops; via 220 MapQuest says 10 hr. 15 minutes, so basically the same time-wise. We are coming down again soon. Can anyone give me advice on one route vs. the other? Is 220 a highway, i.e. 65 speed limit for most of it?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM

604 posts, read 2,904,411 times
We make that trip a few times a year from Central NJ.
Rt.220 is not 65 mph for most if not any sections. Some sections are 45 mph. We like to drive as many miles as possible on the Interstate and then cross over to the local roads.I have also driven the I 64 to Rt 29 roads and to me it seems to be about the same time as 220.

It's either Roanoke or Lynchburg take your pick.

E

Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 28,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
We make that trip a few times a year from Central NJ.
Rt.220 is not 65 mph for most if not any sections. Some sections are 45 mph. We like to drive as many miles as possible on the Interstate and then cross over to the local roads.I have also driven the I 64 to Rt 29 roads and to me it seems to be about the same time as 220.

It's either Roanoke or Lynchburg take your pick.

E

Thank you. I think we will stick to 81, 64, 29 for now.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,863,898 times
Default The road to Greensboro

To Savy31, I was just curious on why you were routed from Newburgh, NY via I-81 to Roanoke and 220 south to Greensboro or I-64/US 29 through Lynchburg to Greensboro?
I think the easiest and fastest route would be Interstate 95 South of Richmond and then I-85 past Raleigh into Greensboro. I realize there is a lot of traffic on I-95 but US220 South from Roanoke to Greensboro is a very dangerous road to travel. Our state of Virginia refuses to do anything about improving this road to interstate status and its daily major accidents happen there. With increasing traffic in this area, it can only get worse. Plus, none observes the speed limit on this treacherous stretch of highway in VA.
Good Luck.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
I think the easiest and fastest route would be Interstate 95 South of Richmond and then I-85 past Raleigh into Greensboro. I realize there is a lot of traffic on I-95 but US220 South from Roanoke to Greensboro is a very dangerous road to travel. Our state of Virginia refuses to do anything about improving this road to interstate status and its daily major accidents happen there. With increasing traffic in this area, it can only get worse. Plus, none observes the speed limit on this treacherous stretch of highway in VA.

I agree with roanoker 4

I agree with emanon as well

Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,293,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcrjkfh View Post

I agree with roanoker 4

I agree with emanon as well
Welcome to C-D! Just as an fyi, the post you responded to was from 2006. Thats 12 years ago!

Old 10-10-2019, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,181 times
Has 220 improved since these earlier posts? We will be driving our motorhome, towing our car on a dolly, from Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA to Bedford, PA. The VIR website recommended route to Roanoke (to get on I-81) for 18 Wheelers is to take 220 for 50 miles. Usually the truck routes would be what we would take, and we generally prefer to travel on interstates as much as possible, but I'm wondering if US 29 to I-64 would be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if you know how to get this onto a more appropriate thread that would be helpful, too.

Last edited by Osolkowski; 10-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Additional comment

Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,618,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osolkowski View Post
Has 220 improved since these earlier posts? We will be driving our motorhome, towing our car on a dolly, from Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA to Bedford, PA. The VIR website recommended route to Roanoke (to get on I-81) for 18 Wheelers is to take 220 for 50 miles. Usually the truck routes would be what we would take, and we generally prefer to travel on interstates as much as possible, but I'm wondering if US 29 to I-64 would be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if you know how to get this onto a more appropriate thread that would be helpful, too.
Repost here: //www.city-data.com/forum/roanoke-area/

Old 10-11-2019, 02:15 AM

223 posts, read 141,988 times
I would recommend 29N to 64W if you want to go that way, especially if you are towing anything. 29 is 4 lanes and not that hilly. Going from Alton to Roanoke is mostly 2 lanes and very hilly since you are going toward the mountains. You can check on the elevation for both way and see which way is best for you. I love taking 29 when I go up to the DC area from Greensboro. Less traffic and very scenic.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:27 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,334,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
I would recommend 29N to 64W if you want to go that way, especially if you are towing anything. 29 is 4 lanes and not that hilly. Going from Alton to Roanoke is mostly 2 lanes and very hilly since you are going toward the mountains. You can check on the elevation for both way and see which way is best for you. I love taking 29 when I go up to the DC area from Greensboro. Less traffic and very scenic.
29 bores me to tears in Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point