Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 09:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hi, Wife/Daughter/Dog/I moved to Matthews NC

We love Matthews, Indian Trail, Belmont, Kannapollis, and Huntersville. We know the reality is our budget for a home is way too low in the Charlotte area. We plan to move our MIL down here who recently retired with us eventually so we are eyeing a 4 bedroom house for $320 or less. We noticed a lot of homes in our price range and size in WS/Forsyth County.

Do apologise if there is a sticky thread for moving related questions.

Just curious we haven't really explored much of the State the last 3 months due to COVID.

Curious how would you compare to WS with regards to the Charlotte area?

Our impression of the Charlotte area has been amazing! There is so much food options, greenways to walk, the libraries are great, the shopping is great, lots of outdoor hiking area's, everything is realtively flat & close, libraries are great, and there are lots of cool stuff to do like Dungeon & Dragon meetups. For our daughter down the road when older lots to do for her with ice skating, karate, soccer, and so on.

We both work in healthcare. I love the hospital I work at it's amazing place to be!

IDK having a hard time finding an area that sticks to us. Like certain areas but they turn out to expensive and others not so much in our budget range/too far out for work/too far away from colleges (Wife is going back to school).

Curious on Winston-Salem??? Should we consider Greensboro? Only reason off the radar at the moment is I could find work but I possibly would take another cut in pay.

If and when we decide to go up to visit the area any recommendations for places to walk around in the area?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-20-2020 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
...so we are eyeing a 4 bedroom house for $320,000 or less.
We noticed a lot of homes in our price range and size in WS/Forsyth County.
And another batch of really rather nice properties below $250,000 is out there too.

If/when you get to that point... I'd suggest looking for homes that are less than your budget
and still less even AFTER you do the ADU work required to make the MIL space
Quote:
Curious how would you compare to WS with regards to the Charlotte area?
Smaller. Better Salary vs COL ratios. More annoying to catch a flight from.
Most of the rest of the decision comes down to WHERE the job location is.

I was on the Salem Greenway early this morning walking my dog.
After a swim session in the creek we stopped at the dog run to see his new girlfriend.
Life is good.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-21-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-26-2020, 04:05 PM

How's it going!

We went up to the Triad last week. We visited WS and Clemmons. Loved Clemmons.

Wouldn't say WS was a bad City. It reminded us of a larger scale Portland, Maine and New Haven, Connecticut. Think all it needed would be a harbor be the ideal New England city. Downtown was nice.

Visited Tanglewood park beautiful, amazing, and awesome park.

We decided to visit Greensboro as well. Way people talked about it seemed like we should avoid it. Oh so wrong. We fell in love with Greensboro.

Think it comes down to a tale of two cities. For us the appeal to Greensboro was less 1 way streets. Building layout was more open and spread out. Downtown seemed more defined than WS. More shopping opitons in Greensboro. Other perk was COL for homes seems so far more affordable in Greensboro area than WS.

Though from a friend that lives in the area Forsyth has slight edge with schools and less chance of redistricting in Forsyth.

Have to eventually go up a few times to explore. Did visit High Point was a drive through didn't get much excitement. Definitely want to visit HP again as well.

With work for myself majority of job opportunities in my role have found jobs in WS and HP.

Appreciate the information!!!

Once COVID is over with like to check out a restaurant or two up in the Triad. Any recommendations???

Many thanks!!!

Old 08-27-2020, 07:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I like Embur, Coliseum Cafe, Thai Square, Printworks, Blue Denim, Crafted, and Dame's in Greensboro. I like the Porch and Katherine's in Winston. I live in Greensboro, so I eat out more here than there.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:13 PM

107 posts, read 112,261 times
The traffic around the Charlotte area is much worse than Winston-Salem or Greensboro. That was a major factor for me leaving there and moving to Greensboro, although I plan to leave as soon as I can.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM

108 posts, read 131,760 times
Why are you leaving and to go where?

Old 08-31-2020, 12:19 PM

773 posts, read 646,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
Why are you leaving and to go where?
OP said:

"Hi, Wife/Daughter/Dog/I moved to Matthews NC

We love Matthews, Indian Trail, Belmont, Kannapollis, and Huntersville. We know the reality is our budget for a home is way too low in the Charlotte area. We plan to move our MIL down here who recently retired with us eventually so we are eyeing a 4 bedroom house for $320 or less. We noticed a lot of homes in our price range and size in WS/Forsyth County."

Old 09-02-2020, 06:59 AM

108 posts, read 131,760 times
Why are you leaving and to go where

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiralHalsey View Post
The traffic around the Charlotte area is much worse than Winston-Salem or Greensboro. That was a major factor for me leaving there and moving to Greensboro, although I plan to leave as soon as I can.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:47 AM

61 posts, read 63,563 times
Are you still looking around and thinking of which place? HP is more spread out and I find there is not much sense of community, more commute and go home.

Let us know if you are still seeking input!

Old 10-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Appreciate the feedback!

Planning to purchase in May-July window is the goal

What’s your thoughts about Thomasville???

Schools look great and property value you can’t beat.

Eyeing Greensboro, Clemmons, Advance, Colfax, Jamestown, Midway and Kernersville

Should we look at WS and Highpoint???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point