Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 06:02 PM

16 posts, read 16,057 times

Advertisements

with The Urban Loop (GSO) and Beltway (WS), and the re-building of business 40, the triad has

definitely hit a milestone, but, there still exist some sour apples in the bunch.

personally, my picks:

NC Highway 87 thru Burlington and Graham

it is the Primary north and south route thru Alamance County,
serving Burlington and Graham, yet, is 2 laned going North to Reidsville/Danville, or south to Pittsboro (to US 64) and Sanford (from here 4 lanes to the Beach or to Fayetteville)

Runs thru Traffic circle in Graham.

a north-south freeway bypass was proposed in the 90's but scrapped.

as it is, 87 gets congested, from motorists traveling north and south of Burlington to these other locations

- the super-confusing I-40 / US -29/220 (Preddy Boulevard) in Greensboro

even with I-85 removed, it is still US-220 /I-40/ US-29.

an exit #220 and a us-220. less than half a mile apart. people cut over sharply, cutting off others and crashing, only to end up on the wrong 220.

Dangerous Left exits: (Randleman Rd, EXIT #220) on 40 East, and US -29 South (EXIT 219) from 40 West.

the 29/220 north exit on 40 east at Martin luther king. (its 2 Exits squeezed together 222 and 223)

**biggest problem is it still being signed as us-220. That highway is still conjoined with I-40 and 29 to direct north to Battleground Av., Lawndale Dr, Church and Elm Streets, and Cone Health hospital

bright side is, However, state DOT wants to sign US-70 along all of Wendover avenue, which may take most of the local traffic away from I-40, and may provide a better direction to downtown and to 29 north/ 220 north, especially for trucks

Spring Garden St (Greensboro)_

East of Holden road, sudden lane drops virtually ensure congestion and cut offs/near-misses, for those heading from Market st/friendly avenue to UNCG

Last edited by NCRoadTrip; 10-28-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 05:37 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,552,501 times
There was a similar thread here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...t-doing-2.html

As far as bad lane drops (which you mention on Spring Garden St.), W. Wendover near I-40 is notorious for this. It looks like turn/deceleration lanes were added for some of the businesses, but they just seem to be added and deleted at random intervals and forces lane changes on a dangerous, congested stretch of roadway.

I'm not a fan of the merge area from US 52 South in Winston-Salem, where it dumps you onto I-40 East (not Salem Pkwy/Business 40 but the actual I-40) towards Kernersville/High Point.

There are probably more I could think of.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 AM

96 posts, read 67,261 times
I agree that the Death Valley segment is extremely dangerous and needs a total rebuild (I think this may be on the cards in the next 10 years?). But I disagree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRoadTrip View Post

bright side is, However, state DOT wants to sign US-70 along all of Wendover avenue, which may take most of the local traffic away from I-40, and may provide a better direction to downtown and to 29 north/ 220 north, especially for trucks
IMO, the US 70 reroute is a terrible idea. Once the Urban Loop is complete, none of the US routes should come inside the loop. Isn't that the whole point of a freeway bypass? The US highway designation is not necessary for local traffic - any local already knows where Wendover is and how to get downtown. Through traffic, and especially truck traffic, should be routed around town, not through it.

The Triad's road system in quite robust at this point. Rather than chasing diminishing returns through endless widenings and bypasses, our communities need to change their development patterns and invest in alternate modes of transportation to leverage the existing network. The pattern of low-density development on the urban fringe is a losing game. The sooner we turn away from that paradigm, the better off our communities will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point