Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 10:15 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion Greensboro should focus on another sports niche, as host to varying NCAA national championships in sports like Swimming and Diving, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Tennis, Golf and Soccer. Indianapolis albeit larger has managed to land some, as well as smaller cities like Eugene OR which has managed a somewhat suspect permanent home to much of the Track and Field events. The loss of the ACC is more symbolic given there's all of about 50 employees working in Greensboro, and attracting thousands for varying events would make that pretty forgettable.
College sports are rapidly changing. Greensboro hosted the Final Four Championship in 1974 and the East Regional NCAA rounds in 1998. Bigger cities and Bigger arenas get those rounds today. Greensboro will always be on the radar for the 1st and 2nd rounds though. People do forget Greensboro hosted the national championship. NC State won that year. It was one of two times North Carolina hosted the Final Four. Charlotte hosted it 20 years later but even Charlotte can't host it today because it would need a covered or domed stadium that seats 50,000 plus people. Seems as though the ACC has outgrown Greensboro. The conference tournaments now try to mimic the NCAA championship games being hosted in larger cities. But despite that Greensboro has always been the best place to host the ACC tournament because of its history and central location on the ACC geographical map. There is just more excitement in Greensboro that can't be duplicated anywhere else because it is the main event in town. In the larger cities its just another event. I remember seeing a number of empty seats during the ACC Championship in Washington DC. Every seat was taken at the Greensboro Coliseum. I don't buy the excuse about Greensboro not having enough flights or direct flights at PTI. If the city can land world class events such as the National Figure Skating Championships (3 times now) it should not be an issue with the ACC. Its about two things. City image and larger TV markets. As far as the ACC headquarters a move has to be approved by the ACC membership. Would there be enough votes to relocate from Greensboro to another city? Time will only tell. It failed in the 1990s. However today the ACC is much bigger and a number of schools are out of state. So the ACC history thing in Greensboro doesn't mean much to schools like Syracuse or Notre Dame.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-28-2021 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 01:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,052,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
College sports are rapidly changing. Greensboro hosted the Final Four Championship in 1974 and the East Regional NCAA rounds in 1998. Bigger cities and Bigger arenas get those rounds today. Greensboro will always be on the radar for the 1st and 2nd rounds though. People do forget Greensboro hosted the national championship. NC State won that year. It was one of two times North Carolina hosted the Final Four. Charlotte hosted it 20 years later but even Charlotte can't host it today because it would need a covered or domed stadium that seats 50,000 plus people. Seems as though the ACC has outgrown Greensboro. The conference tournaments now try to mimic the NCAA championship games being hosted in larger cities. But despite that Greensboro has always been the best place to host the ACC tournament because of its history and central location on the ACC geographical map. There is just more excitement in Greensboro that can't be duplicated anywhere else because it is the main event in town. In the larger cities its just another event. I remember seeing a number of empty seats during the ACC Championship in Washington DC. Every seat was taken at the Greensboro Coliseum. I don't buy the excuse about Greensboro not having enough flights or direct flights at PTI. If the city can land world class events such as the National Figure Skating Championships (3 times now) it should not be an issue with the ACC. Its about two things. City image and larger TV markets. As far as the ACC headquarters a move has to be approved by the ACC membership. Would there be enough votes to relocate from Greensboro to another city? Time will only tell. It failed in the 1990s. However today the ACC is much bigger and a number of schools are out of state. So the ACC history thing in Greensboro doesn't mean much to schools like Syracuse or Notre Dame.
Charlotte will be palatable to the NC schools who wish to keep the HQ in state but are starting to recognize the appeal of having it in a larger city. As for the central location, when the ACC had a tiny footprint, it mattered a little more. But moving 90 min south just doesn't mean much... especially with greater airport access.

And the ACC couldn't care less about how exciting the event is for locals. What makes more money? Butts in seats means very little with regards to what makes money.

Relocation failed in the 90s... but that was 30 years ago under different circumstances in a league that had an outdated mindset even then. The same mistake won't be made again with more schools in the conference spread through a MUCH larger footprint and new leadership. Not to mention the gap between Charlotte and Greensboro is FAR wider than it was 30 years ago.

As was mentioned, Greensboro would fare better competing for niche sports.

If Greensboro is forward thinking, the city leadership will have the courage to step backwards to allow the city to move ahead with a realistic sports vision for the city.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Yep. And the ACCN is headquartered in Charlotte which is another big clue IMO.
Actually, the ACCN operates from ESPN's headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut, though some programming and staff is in Charlotte.

I remember back when the ACCN was announced, everyone just assumed it would operate out of Charlotte 100%, like the SEC Network has done since it's inception.

Kinda weird, the SEC Network broadcasts from Charlotte and the ACC Network broadcasts from Bristol, go figure!

Old 08-29-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually, the ACCN operates from ESPN's headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut, though some programming and staff is in Charlotte.

I remember back when the ACCN was announced, everyone just assumed it would operate out of Charlotte 100%, like the SEC Network has done since it's inception.

Kinda weird, the SEC Network broadcasts from Charlotte and the ACC Network broadcasts from Bristol, go figure!
Yeah, I acknowledged that error elsewhere in the thread. Unfortunately you can only edit for a short time after you make a post.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

For years ACC telecasts were broadcast by Raycom/Jefferson-Pilot for free on the major stations in the Carolinas, including WBTV Charlotte, WFMY Greensboro, and WRAL Raleigh. Disappointed this tradition has become just another pay TV enterprise. When I grew up the ACC was always on Channel 3-WBTV, and their sports anchors Jim Thacker and Paul Cameron hosted the coverage.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:41 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Charlotte will be palatable to the NC schools who wish to keep the HQ in state but are starting to recognize the appeal of having it in a larger city. As for the central location, when the ACC had a tiny footprint, it mattered a little more. But moving 90 min south just doesn't mean much... especially with greater airport access.

And the ACC couldn't care less about how exciting the event is for locals. What makes more money? Butts in seats means very little with regards to what makes money.

Relocation failed in the 90s... but that was 30 years ago under different circumstances in a league that had an outdated mindset even then. The same mistake won't be made again with more schools in the conference spread through a MUCH larger footprint and new leadership. Not to mention the gap between Charlotte and Greensboro is FAR wider than it was 30 years ago.

As was mentioned, Greensboro would fare better competing for niche sports.

If Greensboro is forward thinking, the city leadership will have the courage to step backwards to allow the city to move ahead with a realistic sports vision for the city.
I wholeheartedly agree. This is also a fight to keep the ACC in state.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. This is also a fight to keep the ACC in state.
At the end of the day, the ACC will stay in NC. In fact, I place the odds higher on staying in Greensboro than in moving out of state. No other city makes sense. Atlanta is home to GT and they aren’t going to put HQ in the same city as a member institution. DC is moving far north and away from the footprint. Only 4 of 15 ACC schools are north of DC... and most are quite far away.

Maybe Rock Hill, SC could play in here (using Charlotte)? Richmond maybe?

Old 08-30-2021, 03:33 PM

The Greensboro Chamber of Commerce will be fighting they said they have no intention in losing the ACC headquarters and that Greensboro has home field advantage. Honestly I don't see how moving the headquarters to Charlotte would make much difference. The ACC isn't going to gain anymore money or a major advantage just by having the headquarters there. Yes there is the issue of convenience with being closer to the sports network but I don't know if its really worth uprooting. It just seem like a matter of image. But Greensboro is growing and you don't see other super conferences uprooting to larger cosmopolitan cities. I also don't buy the "lack of flight connections" at PTI. As it was mentioned on the news, Greensboro is not a small town and outsiders pushing for the move who don't know a thing about Greensboro needs to be schooled on the Gate City.
The whole thing just doesn't make sense. It just seems like some want to move it just for the sake of being located in a larger city. Outside of that there is no real reason to move. Whatever happens the headquarters will remain in NC. I just don't see any efforts moving it out of state gaining any legs. That's just not going to happen. But Greensboro has a real chance to keep the ACC, the community and business community just needs to show its support and strongly point out the positives of keeping the ACC in Greensboro where it belongs. Charlotte has taken enough from the Triad.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...follow-up.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-30-2021 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 04:56 PM

Triad Business Journal article is behind a payroll, but it appears that after a report issued about the ACC's current site, the ACC has greenlit the firm that had been completing the research on the current sites to research other potential sites.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:40 PM

There is a whole list of qualifications for being the home of the ACC. The funny thing is that Greensboro meets all of those qualifications with flying colors except for having a big hub airport. The whole thing is BS if the move goes through and honestly there really isn't a need for a so called big hub airport because PTI has flights to all of the ACC schools/cities. Its a ridiculous qualification for a college conference. The ACC is not some big fortune 500 company but it could be used as the "excuse" because there are no real reasons to leave. Just throw a qualification in there that Greensboro can't meet and boom they have the reason to leave.. I just smell a rat and I think geographic politics may be more behind this then a need to move. Who are the players behind the scenes and where are they from? Charlotte? Atlanta? I just don't believe the process is transparent as they claim it is. This is not about Greensboro not being good enough for the ACC. Its about other cities trying lure it away. I'm just not buying the "we haven’t had conversations with other cities". This is just happening too quick.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...of-greensboro/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-26-2021 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point