Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:22 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,052,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There is a whole list of qualifications for being the home of the ACC. The funny thing is that Greensboro meets all of those qualifications with flying colors except for having a big hub airport. The whole thing is BS if the move goes through and honestly there really isn't a need for a so called big hub airport because PTI has flights to all of the ACC schools/cities. Its a ridiculous qualification for a college conference. The ACC is not some big fortune 500 company but it could be used as the "excuse" because there are no real reasons to leave. Just throw a qualification in there that Greensboro can't meet and boom they have the reason to leave.. I just smell a rat and I think geographic politics may be more behind this then a need to move. Who are the players behind the scenes and where are they from? Charlotte? Atlanta? I just don't believe the process is transparent as they claim it is. This is not about Greensboro not being good enough for the ACC. Its about other cities trying lure it away. I'm just not buying the "we haven’t had conversations with other cities". This is just happening too quick.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...of-greensboro/
Meh. It has been evident for a while their eye is on Charlotte. Their requirements are vague but fit Charlotte to a T. They're a league with a branding issue and part of that is being a small town league. Being in a larger city offers further options for entertainment, lodging, transportation, etc.

The ONLY reason they stayed before was Swofford's insistence. Anyone with an inkling of knowledge of the situation knew this would happen quickly after a new commissioner took over.

My guess is that the announcement happens around Summer 2022. They appear full speed ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Yup and Charlotte is foaming at the mouth. I don't know but it just seems like the league has been in Greensboro since it was founded and now that the city is starting to turn a new page in becoming a more forward, growing and progressive community some of them want to pack up and leave. The other super conferences aren't doing this. It's not the city the ACC calls home that creates the brand, its the colleges and the sports that creates the brand and prestige. The new leadership has lost sight of that. The ACC would be nothing without Duke, Carolina other schools and the ACC tournament history in Greensboro. The new leadership is trying to turn the ACC into a small college version of the NBA. The Big East tried that and look at what happened to their conference. The bright lights and big city doesn't always add up to success. That hasn't been the formula for The ACC since it was founded. I think back to the old saying....if it ain't broke don't fix it. Its about the success and image of the schools and their sports not the conference offices. This is about Charlotte once again trying to rape all the other cities in the state of everything its got to bolster its own image.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...255303941.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-26-2021 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yup and Charlotte is foaming at the mouth. I don't know but it just seems like the league has been in Greensboro since it was founded and now that the city is starting to turn a new page in becoming a more forward, growing and progressive community some of them want to pack up and leave. The other super conferences aren't doing this. It's not the city the ACC calls home that creates the brand, its the colleges and the sports that creates the brand and prestige. The new leadership has lost sight of that. The ACC would be nothing without Duke, Carolina other schools and the ACC tournament history in Greensboro. The new leadership is trying to turn the ACC into a small college version of the NBA. The Big East tried that and look at what happened to their conference.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...255303941.html
If it weren't for John Swofford, the ACC would have been there 10 years ago. As for the other super conferences, the Pac 12 is in San Francisco, the Big 12 is in Irving, TX (essentially Dallas), and the Big 10 is in Rosemont, IL... not far from Chicago. Those three don't need to relocate to a big city, they're there.

Then you have the SEC in Birmingham, AL as an outlier. But they also don't have a branding issue. In fact, their branding is sort of NASCAR-ish and being there is on brand. Not to mention, their media opportunities generate themselves.

Thr ACC as a brand is quite frankly stuffy and boring. Moving HQ to a more exciting city helps a little with branding, creates media exposure, and makes employment more desirable.

My guess is that this quick move to the next step is probably because the consultant quickly reached a conclusion of "What the heck are you still doing in Greensboro?".

It's going to happen. This consultant wasn't hired to find the best location IMO. They were hired to provide cover and conclude what the ACC has wanted....that a move to Charlotte is necessary.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
If it weren't for John Swofford, the ACC would have been there 10 years ago. As for the other super conferences, the Pac 12 is in San Francisco, the Big 12 is in Irving, TX (essentially Dallas), and the Big 10 is in Rosemont, IL... not far from Chicago. Those three don't need to relocate to a big city, they're there.

Then you have the SEC in Birmingham, AL as an outlier. But they also don't have a branding issue. In fact, their branding is sort of NASCAR-ish and being there is on brand. Not to mention, their media opportunities generate themselves.

Thr ACC as a brand is quite frankly stuffy and boring. Moving HQ to a more exciting city helps a little with branding, creates media exposure, and makes employment more desirable.

My guess is that this quick move to the next step is probably because the consultant quickly reached a conclusion of "What the heck are you still doing in Greensboro?".

It's going to happen. This consultant wasn't hired to find the best location IMO. They were hired to provide cover and conclude what the ACC has wanted....that a move to Charlotte is necessary.
But what does moving moving the offices to bigger city have to do with creating a more exciting conference? Most people don't even know where conference headquarters are located. They just care about their favorite team making it to the final four. I just think their reasons for leaving are misplaced and moving the headquarters to Charlotte will not sigficantly do anything for the conference except for satisfying Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim by leaving Greensboro. But I agree that the consultant was nothing more than a rubber stamp just for show for what has been planned all along by this new commissioner who is lying through his teeth right now about this issue not being predetermined. But in the end the decision comes down to the entire board and no one knows for sure what's going through their minds. I remember years ago when the furniture market got big in High Point. Bigger cities like Dallas and Atlanta tried to take the market away from High Point because it was viewed as too small, no big hub airport nearby, lack of hotels and didn't have the right image for hosting the world's largest home furnishings market. There were close calls but the Home Furnishings Market still calls High Point home even though logically the market shouldn't be there. Not even the bright lights of Las Vegas could kill the market in High Point. People come to High Point from all over the country and the world (70,000 plus people and even celebrities) but we have no big hub airport and yet this is necessary for some college conference offices no bigger than a large house? Its not over until the fat lady sings but I guess we'll see what happens. If there is enough people on the board who thinks like Coach K (who is retiring) who would like the headquarters to remain in Greensboro the headquarters will stay.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-26-2021 at 09:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 05:56 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
IDK why I have only called this state home for almost 2 year's. Greensboro gets shafted on a lot of things. I mean GSO and the Triad as a whole have everything under the sun as some major cities out there. I mean the only thing is the airport isn't huge like Richmond or Charlotte you have to have connected flights. It's a freaking amazing city.

Grinds my gears.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
But what does moving moving the offices to bigger city have to do with creating a more exciting conference? Most people don't even know where conference headquarters are located. They just care about their favorite team making it to the final four. I just think their reasons for leaving are misplaced and moving the headquarters to Charlotte will not sigficantly do anything for the conference except for satisfying Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim by leaving Greensboro. But I agree that the consultant was nothing more than a rubber stamp just for show for what has been planned all along by this new commissioner who is lying through his teeth right now about this issue not being predetermined. But in the end the decision comes down to the entire board and no one knows for sure what's going through their minds. I remember years ago when the furniture market got big in High Point. Bigger cities like Dallas and Atlanta tried to take the market away from High Point because it was viewed as too small, no big hub airport nearby, lack of hotels and didn't have the right image for hosting the world's largest home furnishings market. There were close calls but the Home Furnishings Market still calls High Point home even though logically the market shouldn't be there. Not even the bright lights of Las Vegas could kill the market in High Point. People come to High Point from all over the country and the world (70,000 plus people and even celebrities) but we have no big hub airport and yet this is necessary for some college conference offices no bigger than a large house? Its not over until the fat lady sings but I guess we'll see what happens. If there is enough people on the board who thinks like Coach K (who is retiring) who would like the headquarters to remain in Greensboro the headquarters will stay.
Moving to Charlotte isn't for the fans. It's for ACC employees, media representatives, school representatives, and anyone else doing business with the ACC.

And this move has been in the works long before Phillips took over. Heck, in a similar thread a while back, I said several years ago this would happen soon after Swofford stepped down. He was the only one in favor of staying in Greensboro.

And the "large house" that is HQ is just a base of operations. Being in or near a bigger city, there will be more options for wining/dining and other lodging and schmoozing needs.

I know you don't see it because it hurts Greensboro, but this is a long overdue move that is on the fast track. I hate to lose them, but it has been inevitable for a long time.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:21 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that Greensboro meets all of those qualifications with flying colors except for having a big hub airport. The whole thing is BS if the move goes through and honestly there really isn't a need for a so called big hub airport because PTI has flights to all of the ACC schools/cities. Its a ridiculous qualification for a college conference.
PTI doesn't have nonstop flights for the following conference schools more than a five hour drive away:

Boston College (BOS airport)
Florida State (Tallahassee airport)
Louisville (Louisville SDF airport)
Notre Dame (South Bend airport)
Syracuse (Syracuse Hancock airport)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh PIT airport)

University of Miami (MIA airport) is covered, but there is only one daily flight from PTI versus 17 daily nonstops to MIA and FLL from CLT.

That's 40% of the ACC schools requiring a connection to visit from HQ. CLT has multiple nonstop flights to all of these cities, including the small cities like South Bend and Tallahassee, so the ACC may use this as a "reason." I don't work at the ACC, so not sure how often they need to go to these member schools and how inconvenient the connections required from PTI are for business. Business travelers prefer nonstops to spend more time at home and less time in airports in general.

Last edited by CLT4; 10-27-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
PTI doesn't have nonstop flights for the following conference schools more than a five hour drive away:

Boston College (BOS airport)
Florida State (Tallahassee airport)
Louisville (Louisville SDF airport)
Notre Dame (South Bend airport)
Syracuse (Syracuse Hancock airport)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh PIT airport)

University of Miami (MIA airport) is covered, but there is only one daily flight from PTI versus 17 daily nonstops to MIA and FLL from CLT.

That's 40% of the ACC schools requiring a connection to visit from HQ. CLT has multiple nonstop flights to all of these cities, including the small cities like South Bend and Tallahassee, so the ACC may use this as a "reason." I don't work at the ACC, so not sure how often they need to go to these member schools and how inconvenience the connections required from PTI are for business. Business travelers prefer nonstops to spend more time at home and less time in airports in general.
Yep. 30 years ago when Greensboro was literally a few hour's drive from every member institution, Greensboro was perfect. Even in 1993 when Florida State entered, it was still a good middle ground.

Once Miami and Boston College came aboard, it was time to consider other more accessible options. Once Syracuse and Pitt entered, it was time to move.

2023 may very well be Greensboro's last ACC Tournament. I don't think "tradition" means that much to the league anymore. Nor should it if it hamstrings the league. Part of the branding the league needs to shed is that it looks to much to the past than the future.

Once this happens, it's probably time for Greensboro to consider right-sizing the arena.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:20 AM

I think the tournament will still be held in Greensboro but clearly not as much. It use to be where it was held in 3 consecutive years then off to another location then back to Greensboro then off to a few locations. Now it may be twice a decade. Keep in mind the Greensboro Coliseum Complex still has more seats then the other usual tournament sites. Greensboro will probably host more first and second round NCAA tournament games then the ACC Tournament. However nothing has been said about the Women's ACC which is still held in Greensboro every year. One reason why Greensboro will remain on the rotation is because most of the members still like Greensboro on the rotation. In the end its not the commissioner and his staff that makes those kind of decisions.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-27-2021 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 10:23 AM

511 posts, read 510,494 times
I wish them the best of luck at their new headquarters in Rock Hill, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point