Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 09:18 AM

742 posts, read 817,620 times

Advertisements

You can throw all the old rules about conference expansion out the window. The SEC & B1G want brands & if you also bring a solid market with it that's just icing on the cake. As streaming becomes a more dominant platform for sports, how many subscribers your school can bring far outweighs any other factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 03:56 PM

614 posts, read 523,895 times
Paul Finebaum recently weighed in on the realignment crisis. He stated that Fl St is not nearly as valuable as they think they are and the SEC would have no interest in them or Clemson. But he did say that Miami may be of interest to the SEC. And he did state that the BIG could be interested in Fl State. But the problem is the $120 million dollar fee to be paid to exit. Maryland only had to pay an exit fee of $314 M. UCLA only has to pay UC an estimated amount from to $2-$4 M annually. The $120 M ACC exit fee is the elephant in the room. DeCock said that if the contract could be broken then it would already be broken. That is why he expects the ACC to stay as is until 2036. I guess we will just have to wait and see who is correct about this.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:04 PM

Like Paul Finebaum stated - the SeC is already in Florida so Fl State brings nothing nrw to the table. So, that is why the BIG could be interested in Fl ST. Th state of Florida has a population of 22 million, California $39million, New Jersey and NY metro about 30 million, and the Wash-Balt CSA is about 10 million. The entire state of SC is only 5 million and half that is 2.5 million. Would the BiG be interested in Clemson?

Last edited by The QC; 05-23-2023 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Typing error

Old 05-23-2023, 04:15 PM

Paul Finebaum recently weighed in on the realignment crisis. He stated that Fl St is not nearly as valuable as they think they are and the SEC would have no interest in them or Clemson. But he did say that Miami may be of interest to the SEC. And he did state that the BIG could be interested in Fl State. But the problem is the $120 million dollar fee to be paid to exit. Maryland only had to pay an exit fee of $314 M. UCLA only has to pay UC an estimated amount from to $2-$4 M annually. The $120 M ACC exit fee is the elephant in the room. DeCock said that if the contract could be broken then it would already be broken. That is why he expects the ACC to stay as is until 2036. I guess we will just have to wait and see who is correct about this.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:24 PM

I just read some more of Finebaum’s comments. He stated that the SEC would be interested in Miami and UNC, but he thinks the best fit for UNC is the BIG. He does not think Clemson brings much to the table due to its geographic location. I am not sure what he means by that.

So, I think Finebaum in two separate articles stated that the SEC would be inyerested in Miami and UNC, but UNC would be a better fit in BIG. Fla St could go to the BIG possibly if the BIG wants them. And Clemson does not bring much to the table. I also assume that NC St, VA, and VA Tech do not bring much to the table according to Finebaum and would be left out as would Clemson.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:09 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,796,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I just read some more of Finebaum’s comments. He stated that the SEC would be interested in Miami and UNC, but he thinks the best fit for UNC is the BIG. He does not think Clemson brings much to the table due to its geographic location. I am not sure what he means by that.

So, I think Finebaum in two separate articles stated that the SEC would be interested in Miami and UNC, but UNC would be a better fit in BIG. Fla St could go to the BIG possibly if the BIG wants them. And Clemson does not bring much to the table. I also assume that NC St, VA, and VA Tech do not bring much to the table according to Finebaum and would be left out as would Clemson.
That's what I was saying. Keep in mind the recruiting area, markets, etc...the B1G is not going to sit around and let the SEC take the biggest programs in the country. They have added Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M in recent expansions. Those are huge brands in the college football world.

Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland are not huge (Nebraska could be, but who knows when...and they have no recruiting market). So the B1G would love 1) FSU and 2) Clemson to get into the south and wouldn't scoff at adding Ga Tech, UNC and Virginia while they are at it. Throw in Oregon and Washington and probably Stanford and you are basically everywhere except Texas. 24 programs, split into divisions and being the biggest thing on tv...going toe to toe with the SEC.

The SEC, if they want, can gobble up Miami...I still like them adding West Virginia and a school like Kansas (to go with Missouri and offer a basketball rivalry with Kentucky). Maybe NC State and Va Tech eventually. Or who knows if they look towards Arizona.

This will never end as long as there are valuable properties out there and the contracts increase.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,016,993 times
As the Pac-12 has made it all but official that this is its last year (only Stanford, Cal, Washington State, and Oregon State are left), the table is set for eyes to look east in realignment talks.

There's a lot of noise out there right... and then FSU is beating its chest wanting out of the ACC. It's just a matter of time until enough teams can get out (at the same time) and dissolve the GoR.

Basically, its already over. But hey, the ACC will die in some fancy Charlotte office space. Only question now is when.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:23 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,144,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
As the Pac-12 has made it all but official that this is its last year (only Stanford, Cal, Washington State, and Oregon State are left), the table is set for eyes to look east in realignment talks.

There's a lot of noise out there right... and then FSU is beating its chest wanting out of the ACC. It's just a matter of time until enough teams can get out (at the same time) and dissolve the GoR.

Basically, its already over. But hey, the ACC will die in some fancy Charlotte office space. Only question now is when.
moving the headquarters from Greensboro to Charlotte will be for naught.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,870,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
moving the headquarters from Greensboro to Charlotte will be for naught.
It’s so puzzling why the ACC thought the timing of this move should occur during this period. Amid ALL of this turmoil.

We’re lay people and we saw this coming a mile away…and we also saw how the ACC was — and is — very shaky amid all of this… so why the move to Charlotte again?!! I don’t necessarily think the ACC will end up near defunct as the PAC12 (at least not damn near instantaneously defunct although the PAC12 stuff has been building for years), I do think the ACC could become a shell of itself a few years down the road if/when member institutions figure out a loophole to sidestep the GOR.

This was NOT the time to move to Charlotte. I kinda reeks of ostentatiousness and arrogance honestly.

Maybe a possible BigEast merger saves the ACC, but that move out of Greensboro isn’t doing the conference any favors.

EDIT: Just heard on the radio that the ACC is entertaining the possibility of adding Stanford and Cal. On the surface, I don’t see how that would work for all sports. Maybe it adds them as football, baseball and basketball only schools if that’s possible.

Last edited by UserNamesake; 08-08-2023 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2023, 12:12 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,016,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
It’s so puzzling why the ACC thought the timing of this move should occur during this period. Amid ALL of this turmoil.

We’re lay people and we saw this coming a mile away…and we also saw how the ACC was — and is — very shaky amid all of this… so why the move to Charlotte again?!! I don’t necessarily think the ACC will end up near defunct as the PAC12 (at least not damn near instantaneously defunct although the PAC12 stuff has been building for years), I do think the ACC could become a shell of itself a few years down the road if/when member institutions figure out a loophole to sidestep the GOR.

This was NOT the time to move to Charlotte. I kinda reeks of ostentatiousness and arrogance honestly.

Maybe a possible BigEast merger saves the ACC, but that move out of Greensboro isn’t doing the conference any favors.

EDIT: Just heard on the radio that the ACC is entertaining the possibility of adding Stanford and Cal. On the surface, I don’t see how that would work for all sports. Maybe it adds them as football, baseball and basketball only schools if that’s possible.
The ACC is and has always been reactionary vs proactive. The move to Charlotte should have happened 10 years ago as the league expanded beyond a fairly easy drive for all members (heck, back before FSU joined every ACC school was within about a 5-6 hour drive of Greensboro) and 3/4 were within about 3 hours.

But in this time of extreme chaos, this wasnt the time. My guess is that leadership thought they caught a dead period... but instead of simply eating the cost and making the move they had to drag it out to get the state to pay their way (if they had simply just made the move, it would have worked). Failure to see the forest through the trees and/or pennywise and pound foolish... choose your cliche.

And I think the ACC will be every bit as susceptible to complete implosion as the Pac-12 was... The GoR may be what forces total implosion. Everybody just needs to find their places first.

My guess is FSU/Clemson to the Big 10. Soon after, UVA/UNC to the SEC. VT, NCSU, Pitt, and Louisville get invited to and choose the Big 12 vs the SEC minus the previously mentioned four (as ESPN isn't paying $40 million per school for the leftovers). But thats just a guess.

And I do think the move to Charlotte was wise on its own... but the when and how was absurd. They should have just made the leap, paid the cost, and moved on.

Stanford/Cal do absolutely nothing to fix the league's issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point