Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 03:42 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

While this is far from a done deal, Charlotte has been mentioned as a possible relocation site. There are a lot of hurdles that have to be cleared. The ACC would only move if an independent firm recommends it plus a move would have to get support from ACC membership.

https://greensboro.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 07:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
While this is far from a done deal, Charlotte has been mentioned as a possible relocation site. There are a lot of hurdles that have to be cleared. The ACC would only move if an independent firm recommends it plus a move would have to get support from ACC membership.

https://greensboro.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking
This was a long time coming and the only hangup was John Swofford. I'd be shocked if the ACC ends up anywhere but Charlotte.

Officially they are saying it's not a done deal. But it's a done deal. Moving out of NC would be tough to gain approval from league schools... but Charlotte would have the approval of the NC schools and is a big enough city to merit the HQ and gain approval outside of NC.

I wouldn't bank on any more ACC Tournaments in Greensboro either other than the ones currently scheduled.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
This was a long time coming and the only hangup was John Swofford. I'd be shocked if the ACC ends up anywhere but Charlotte.

Officially they are saying it's not a done deal. But it's a done deal. Moving out of NC would be tough to gain approval from league schools... but Charlotte would have the approval of the NC schools and is a big enough city to merit the HQ and gain approval outside of NC.

I wouldn't bank on any more ACC Tournaments in Greensboro either other than the ones currently scheduled.
It does seem like the ACC has been taking baby steps with this. Playing the tournaments in other cities was the first big sign that changes were coming.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It does seem like the ACC has been taking baby steps with this. Playing the tournaments in other cities was the first big sign that changes were coming.
Yep. And the ACCN is headquartered in Charlotte which is another big clue IMO.

I mean, how often does an entity hire an independent firm to study (aka justify) a move/change and come away deciding NOT to make that move? Rare (I won't say never).

This is all about justifying the move. Essentially, these independent firms are cover. They won't provide any real information that hasn't been considered. They're just supplying that information in a manner to justify what has already been decided and to be another entity the ACC can point to to say "It's not just us saying we have to move."

20 years ago as a 9 team league, 5 of which were in the Carolinas and ALL of which were within a few hour drive, Greensboro was fine. Now that the league (and college athletics) is bigger business and has a broader footprint geographically, the ACC has outgrown Greensboro.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Yep. And the ACCN is headquartered in Charlotte which is another big clue IMO.

I mean, how often does an entity hire an independent firm to study (aka justify) a move/change and come away deciding NOT to make that move? Rare (I won't say never).

This is all about justifying the move. Essentially, these independent firms are cover. They won't provide any real information that hasn't been considered. They're just supplying that information in a manner to justify what has already been decided and to be another entity the ACC can point to to say "It's not just us saying we have to move."

20 years ago as a 9 team league, 5 of which were in the Carolinas and ALL of which were within a few hour drive, Greensboro was fine. Now that the league (and college athletics) is bigger business and has a broader footprint geographically, the ACC has outgrown Greensboro.
It's actually kind of sad, but this is just another wakeup call for Greensboro. Instead of trying to convince outsiders that the city is a booming market with lot's of downtown development, they need to wise up about what the city has been loosing over recent years.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:35 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It's actually kind of sad, but this is just another wakeup call for Greensboro. Instead of trying to convince outsiders that the city is a booming market with lot's of downtown development, they need to wise up about what the city has been loosing over recent years.
Not just Greensboro but the Triad as a whole. Winston-Salem lost both Wachovia and BB&T to Charlotte and eventually Krispy Kreme will fully move to Charlotte as well. Its about TV markets and corporate dollars. College conference have become more of a money making game over the past few decades. There is nothing wrong with showcasing the downtown development but as I have said in the past, the Triad lacks the leadership in the cities and corporate community to move the Triad to the next level. It seems content standing in Charlotte and Raleigh's shadows. But to be fair Its not the leadership's entire fault. The Triad has a perception and identity problem. In order to reverse this problem, Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to quite frankly strive to become major U.S. cities. They need to become the next Charlotte or Atlanta and I know many in this area would resist that. But Greensboro and Winston-Salem can no longer be content in being medium sized markets and they have ignored the wake up calls. Everyone these days want to have a big city address and this appears to be the case with the ACC. The downtown development steers us in the right direction. As our city centers become more urban, the cities will attract more white collar/corporate jobs. This is the root of the problem. When a city attracts these kind of jobs that leads to rapid economic and populational growth, wealthier population and more urban amenities. That solves the image problem. Greensboro wants to be both a "big city" and a small town and that's just not going to attract fortune 500 companies. The city is going to have to pick and choose what it wants to be and not be afraid to grow big. Instead of slow and steady growth there needs to be SMART rapid growth in this town. Greensboro is going to have to become something that it has resisted for decades. Charlotte and Raleigh made that decision decades ago, left Greensboro and Winston-Salem in the dust and didn't look back.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-26-2021 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-27-2021, 07:00 AM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
Who’s doing the study, Jim Boeheim?

Old 08-27-2021, 07:14 AM

743 posts, read 825,242 times
Lack of direct flights is the primary reason the HQ would move IMO. Being able to have easy access to all the member institutions, media partners, corporate sponsors etc can't be underestimated

Old 08-27-2021, 08:12 AM

97 posts, read 70,814 times
Quote:

I agree that it has been obvious that this would happen at some point. Charlotte is a very logical destination - I would be shocked if it went anywhere else.

I am more optimistic about future ACC tourneys in Greensboro, though. One thing in the Coliseum's favor is seating capacity - the extra 3,000-4,000 seats are useful when tickets are divvied up 15 ways. Plus, most years you can count on a local team making it to the final, which assures a packed house. Greensboro may not feature as prominently in the rotation as in the past, but I don't think it will go away completely.

I will say this, though - the area around the Coliseum is a total craphole. That matters to people who attend events a whole lot more than it did 15 years ago. While there's not much the city can do about the surrounding industrial areas, the Coliseum complex is a huge tract of land that is mostly wasted on surface parking. The city should be proactive in developing that land to create a more active district - hotels, restaurants, apartments, etc. There should also be dedicated shuttles to downtown during major events to connect with hotels and nightlife there. Greensboro definitely needs to step it up if it wants to stay in the game.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:26 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
I agree that it seems likely that the HQ will end up moving, and Charlotte seems like the logical destination. North Carolina schools will be able to live with it, and other/newer schools will see that as an improvement. It would align well with the high profile events like the ACC champion game, and obviously the airport and amenities like hotel rooms are far superior.

The other destinations seem generally like too much of a change. NYC or Boston? Way too far north, I can't imagine more than a couple of schools would support that. DC or Atlanta seen possible but unlikely. NC is kind of the geographic center of the conference.

If it does move that will be kind of sad, but it is very hard to keep things the same... you are either growing or dying.

I hope Greensboro can still get an occasional ACC tournament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point