Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,906,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Welp... its almost October 2023.

Maybe it will be finished by 2034, along with the Westin
LOLOLOLOL

… and what and where is Midtown Greensboro?!! Goodness gracious that’s a real reach to try to brand an area. Can downtown just be solidified and refurbished and injected with some life first before we get into all this midtown stuff ?!!! Lol

Priorities people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Marty Kotis is another one who presents grand ideas but will take a decade to implement them. Honestly I wish developers wouldn't say anything until they are within a year or so of building something. Kotis still hasn't done anything with the property he owns in the southern end of downtown. Its unreal. There is a lot of demand for a lot of things to happen downtown yet everything seems to happen here at a snails pace.
I’ve said this before, but for those on here with younger children, they’ll probably be college aged before there’s any real, noticeable completed developments in Greensboro that raises the aesthetic smh

Obviously Raleigh and Charlotte complete development projects waaayyy faster but I honestly think Winston does, too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 10:23 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,235,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
LOLOLOLOL

… and what and where is Midtown Greensboro?!! Goodness gracious that’s a real reach to try to brand an area. Can downtown just be solidified and refurbished and injected with some life first before we get into all this midtown stuff ?!!! Lol

Priorities people.

I’ve said this before, but for those on here with younger children, they’ll probably be college aged before there’s any real, noticeable completed developments in Greensboro that raises the aesthetic smh

Obviously Raleigh and Charlotte complete development projects waaayyy faster but I honestly think Winston does, too .
And the pandemic is over so they can't use that as an excuse

Old 09-21-2023, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 71,485 times
Quote:
Marty Kotis is another one who presents grand ideas but will take a decade to implement them. Honestly I wish developers wouldn't say anything until they are within a year or so of building something. Kotis still hasn't done anything with the property he owns in the southern end of downtown. Its unreal. There is a lot of demand for a lot of things to happen downtown yet everything seems to happen here at a snails pace.
You mean graffiti and Christmas lights don't count?

Old 09-21-2023, 01:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
LOLOLOLOL

Priorities people.

The midtown stuff is ridiculous. I mean, it was pretty obvious that the grand plans presented years ago were unrealistic... but the area there by the Pig Pounder and the theater looks almost identical to the way it did 7 years ago when I moved to the area. A little reshuffling of businesses now open and closed but otherwise, much the same.

And yes, Winston-Salem is FAR ahead of Greensboro as far as making real progress. Yeah, their pace is still much slower than Charlotte or Raleigh which is to be expected. But they do actually make some real progress. Greensboro feels like it's stuck in the 1990s in a lot of ways. Project Slugger is the only real major project that actually seemed to progress as one would generally expect that I can think of. The Hampton Inn took like half a decade to build for gosh sake.

But the Westin which has been talked about since I moved here only just recently has had the parking garage start construction (the city IS pretty decent about getting parking garages built... it's everything else). Project 561 was in the works but was clearly pie in the sky and its pseudo-replacement project (I'll still call it Carroll SOB) has done nothing except demolish what's there and... build a parking garage for the last 2-3 years. The Hoppers ownership talked a couple years ago about grand plans for around the stadium.... they pumped out an article around that time talking about those plans... and the only peep since has been when they basically revealed the same stuff they revealed a year earlier. Even a simple grocery store can't do anything but come to a grinding halt.

Now we have those new twin 10 story towers being proposed on the N&R site. Obviously it's far too early to make any concrete declarations here... but I'm not holding my breath that anything comes of it.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:35 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,057 times
Quote:
There is a lot of demand for a lot of things to happen downtown yet everything seems to happen here at a snails pace.
To clarify, you mean a dead snail.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:36 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,906,808 times
Quote:
And the pandemic is over so they can't use that as an excuse

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
The midtown stuff is ridiculous. I mean, it was pretty obvious that the grand plans presented years ago were unrealistic... but the area there by the Pig Pounder and the theater looks almost identical to the way it did 7 years ago when I moved to the area. A little reshuffling of businesses now open and closed but otherwise, much the same.

And yes, Winston-Salem is FAR ahead of Greensboro as far as making real progress. Yeah, their pace is still much slower than Charlotte or Raleigh which is to be expected. But they do actually make some real progress. Greensboro feels like it's stuck in the 1990s in a lot of ways. Project Slugger is the only real major project that actually seemed to progress as one would generally expect that I can think of. The Hampton Inn took like half a decade to build for gosh sake.

But the Westin which has been talked about since I moved here only just recently has had the parking garage start construction (the city IS pretty decent about getting parking garages built... it's everything else). Project 561 was in the works but was clearly pie in the sky and its pseudo-replacement project (I'll still call it Carroll SOB) has done nothing except demolish what's there and... build a parking garage for the last 2-3 years. The Hoppers ownership talked a couple years ago about grand plans for around the stadium.... they pumped out an article around that time talking about those plans... and the only peep since has been when they basically revealed the same stuff they revealed a year earlier. Even a simple grocery store can't do anything but come to a grinding halt.

Now we have those new twin 10 story towers being proposed on the N&R site. Obviously it's far too early to make any concrete declarations here... but I'm not holding my breath that anything comes of it.
Excellent points. But the underlined… Ohhhh, the underlined… I’ve been saying that for years now. I feel like Greensboro actually peaked in the mid to late 90s, and it’s like city leadership just threw in the towel right then and nearly everything has been on auto-pilot, laissez fare mode since then.

So much about the city just screams 90s …even down to the music people obnoxiously blare up and down Elm is mid to late 90s and early 2000s rap and pop. Sometimes I legitimately think some aliens, maybe around 2002, fired a huge, time-suspending ray gun over this city, and things have been in a holding pattern ever since.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:35 AM

241 posts, read 238,410 times
Pretty frustrating that things seem to move so slow here. It's actually bizarre on some level. Rhino times did a write up about a city council meeting where business people were complaining about the city being more difficult to do business in. A Direct quote: "In Winston-Salem a permit costs $75 and takes two weeks to get approved, but in Greensboro it cost $150, takes three or four months and then you get turned down." OUCH. Zack Matheny said he's heard similar complaints in private for years but the grumblings are becoming louder. Hopefully something changes as the city has a lot of potential still but in a world where things are constantly moving forward, standing still is not really different from going backward.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:27 AM

389 posts, read 293,238 times
It feels like Greensboro thought all their downtown problems would end, once Tanger arts got up and running. They seem to solely rely on that venue to make everything else happen downtown ,without putting much effort into projects unless it's building parking decks. That's they only effort it seems they put into a project;( I'm still waiting for the Westin to be down graded.. wouldnt surprise me at this point if it becomes a motel 8 .

Old 09-27-2023, 09:47 AM

680 posts, read 497,656 times
Meanwhile, Publix is holding job fairs for its second store in Winston Salem. .Doing some research, it was announced in December of 2021 of plans for this Publix. Its part of a new development called West Edge off of Robinhood road.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:18 AM

389 posts, read 293,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Meanwhile, Publix is holding job fairs for its second store in Winston Salem. .Doing some research, it was announced in December of 2021 of plans for this Publix. Its part of a new development called West Edge off of Robinhood road.
Another Win for Winston! Dang it's getting to be where Greensboro is gonna have 3 cities to compete with. Charlotte, Raleigh and Winston Salem!!! Greensboro is noticable dragging behind Winston. Greensboro needs to just cut and paste what ever Winston is doing at the moment, and buy some time for the leaders to think about ways Greensboro can be innovative and come up with its own thing! Somethings better then nothing and I'll take cookie cutter urban life over nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point