Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 10:33 AM

385 posts, read 289,815 times

Advertisements

Discovered a new Japanese restaurant downtown called Yokai... They had exotic cocktails that were yummy and the decore was neat!! One of the wait staff told me the have been opened for 3 months when I asked. I def will be back to try more of those unique cocktails... It is a tad on the pricy side but felt like u got ur money's worth. The one I had was 12.00 but felt like I had drunk two lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 06:56 PM

377 posts, read 205,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Lol You coulda at least Googled before trying to misguidedly and presumptuously police spelling.

This place is something else lol
In UK English, “travelled” and “traveller” are standard. In US English, “traveled” and “traveler” are standard. Do you live in London? LOL

Old 12-10-2023, 09:13 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'm not the one looking foolish, obviously. Did I say anything about north hills being part of raleigh's urban core? NO. South End immediately abuts uptown, not "far outside". And it hasn't been an industrial area in many decades. Sounds like you've never been there. Same with the innovation district.

I could care less how you're now attempting to backtrack and redefine your position. All of NC major cities, regardless of their growth rates, are giant suburbs surrounding a tiny urban core, Fact. North Hills represents what, .0001% of raleigh's total land area? So what? That changes nothing.

Its hilarious anyone would claim any city in NC is anything but a giant suburb, surrounding a small urban core. Even a casual glance at a map makes that obvious.
Huh, urban south is simply different than urban north, that's it; rowhouses versus shotgun houses and obviously experiencing growth during different eras. I've lived in DC and Boston. Even in those cities parts of the inner-city environment is what is coined suburban style development with single family homes, etc.

NC cities have "inner-city" neighborhoods that are walkable and for the most part safe. There are neighborhoods and areas in DC (even after vast gentrification) many people would dare not venture. Baltimore is still a huge part wasteland.

I think NC larger cities are growing at a great time as some people seek more urban style developments which don't have to be downtown due to technology and required work locations. Which in my opinion is a huge catalyst for NC's cities growth.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM

851 posts, read 417,440 times
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Huh, urban south is simply different than urban north, that's it; rowhouses versus shotgun houses and obviously experiencing growth during different eras. I've lived in DC and Boston. Even in those cities parts of the inner-city environment is what is coined suburban style development with single family homes, etc.

NC cities have "inner-city" neighborhoods that are walkable and for the most part safe. There are neighborhoods and areas in DC (even after vast gentrification) many people would dare not venture. Baltimore is still a huge part wasteland.

I think NC larger cities are growing at a great time as some people seek more urban style developments which don't have to be downtown due to technology and required work locations. Which in my opinion is a huge catalyst for NC's cities growth.
The differences are greater than this. The downtowns of Northern cities such as Boston and New York serve as important employment and entertainment centers with massive influxes of daily commuters. The most important and easily quantifiable difference though is population density which I've already referenced in these pages. It's not even close. Southern cities simply more closely resemble sprawling suburbs, and in my own opinion, uglier and far less appealing than their northern counterparts. Walkable is an extremely relative term here. And safe? Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, Winston, Charlotte? Maybe if Baltimore and D.C. are your references. Greensboro witnessed a record number of homicides this year.......before November. Going back and forth between here and New England, the the difference in crime and gun violence is shocking. Completely different cities with completely different cultures. Growth here though, is easily outpacing that of the North and is likely to continue unless or until economic, political and/or social policy changes negate intrinsic benefit. So better or worse is arguable, but they're undeniably very different.

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-10-2023 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-10-2023, 02:57 PM

676 posts, read 493,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Discovered a new Japanese restaurant downtown called Yokai... They had exotic cocktails that were yummy and the decore was neat!! One of the wait staff told me the have been opened for 3 months when I asked. I def will be back to try more of those unique cocktails... It is a tad on the pricy side but felt like u got ur money's worth. The one I had was 12.00 but felt like I had drunk two lol....
You should put this in the downtown thread. It's gonna get buried in here among the nonsense.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
L

The differences are greater than this. The downtowns of Northern cities such as Boston and New York serve as important employment and entertainment centers with massive influxes of daily commuters. The most important and easily quantifiable difference though is population density which I've already referenced in these pages. It's not even close. Southern cities simply more closely resemble sprawling suburbs, and in my own opinion, uglier and far less appealing than their northern counterparts. Walkable is an extremely relative term here. And safe? Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, Winston, Charlotte? Maybe if Baltimore and D.C. are your references. Greensboro witnessed a record number of homicides this year.......before November. Going back and forth between here and New England, the the difference in crime and gun violence is shocking. Completely different cities with completely different cultures. Growth here though, is easily outpacing that of the North and is likely to continue unless or until economic, political and/or social policy changes negate intrinsic benefit. So better or worse is arguable, but they're undeniably very different.
Well, Greater Boston is among the metropolitan areas hit particularly hard by population loss.

Suffolk County’s population declined by 3.39% between 2020 and 2022, losing nearly 27,000 people. State officials and business leaders attribute that in part to tech workers being able to work from anywhere with the onset of remote work, as well as the high housing costs in the area.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
L

Well, Greater Boston is among the U.S. metropolitan areas hit particularly hard by population loss.

Suffolk County’s population declined by 3.39% between 2020 and 2022, losing nearly 27,000 people. State officials and business leaders attribute that in part to tech workers being able to work from anywhere with the onset of remote work, as well as the high housing costs in the area.

Yet southern cities and states continue to gain population, wealth, jobs and growth in GDP. For the first time, the US Southeast GDP is greater than the US Northeast GDP. And, the trend will only accelerate.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:24 AM

851 posts, read 417,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Well, Greater Boston is among the U.S. metropolitan areas hit particularly hard by population loss.

Yet southern cities and states continue to gain population, wealth, jobs and growth in GDP. For the first time, the US Southeast GDP is greater than the US Northeast GDP. And, the trend will only accelerate.
True enough. And noted at the end of my post. The etiologies of current domestic migration trends are certainly subject to opinion. I'm about ready for one of those 12 dollar Japanese cocktails.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
True enough. And noted at the end of my post. The etiologies of current domestic migration trends are certainly subject to opinion. I'm about ready for one of those 12 dollar Japanese cocktails.
Not really.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:54 AM

68 posts, read 43,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post

Thank God for Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point