Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 12:40 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times

Advertisements

With all the major changes at the executive and administrative leadership / department head levels in Guilford and Greensboro government, yesterday seemed like a pivotal primary that could’ve helped really begin to propel Greensboro/Guilford forward, and the buzz surrounding it seemed damn near non existent. Checked in at a few polling places yesterday at usual peak times and could get in and out with ease.

Am I misreading this or what?

The city, county pretty much guaranteed itself more of the same, politically, with yesterday’s results. What gives?

Can someone more familiar with the political landscape (whatever that may be) please help out a befuddled CD member?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 09:55 PM

171 posts, read 158,992 times
I think it just shows that people don't think guilford county is doing bad. Glad they voted against the tax since it wouldn't help me at all since I don't own a home. But honestly I watched all the debates and the current mayor is doing relatively well IMO

Old 05-19-2022, 04:35 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Im happy with the current mayor Nancy and she has done alot for the city and its growth! Look at how much Greensboro has changed since she became mayor. Crime issues may be a lil.high but u cant place one person at fault when there are so many factors that play a part in it.. i dont think who ever is mayor can fix crime issues. Nancy has really transformed our downtown for the best, she has made our city a progressive and forward thinking one the best she can, giving what shes got to work with. I look forward to seeing what else she will accomplish for the city in the future!

Old 05-19-2022, 05:29 AM

920 posts, read 746,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
With all the major changes at the executive and administrative leadership / department head levels in Guilford and Greensboro government, yesterday seemed like a pivotal primary that could’ve helped really begin to propel Greensboro/Guilford forward, and the buzz surrounding it seemed damn near non existent. Checked in at a few polling places yesterday at usual peak times and could get in and out with ease.

Am I misreading this or what?

The city, county pretty much guaranteed itself more of the same, politically, with yesterday’s results. What gives?

Can someone more familiar with the political landscape (whatever that may be) please help out a befuddled CD member?
What exactly are you befuddled about? Low voter turnout? Lack of incumbents being eliminated?

G'boro and Guilford are doing pretty well currently. Is there some reason you think there needs to be a big change politically?

Old 05-19-2022, 07:51 AM

Welp, I guess you all confirmed my theory. There’s clearly a delusion among a part of the voting populace that Guilford/Greensboro is doing “pretty well.”

It’s doing just “OK.” And that’s a weakening “OK” as time passes.

As many of the challenging candidates said, Greensboro is really lagging its peer — or near peer cities — in many categories. Fortunately, the population growth has still been pretty steady (no spikes , no dives) but good gosh, what have you people been observing the past decade?

Guilford/Greensboro has been pretty stagnant and is close to getting lapped by Winston friggin Salem

I guess everyone is OK with “OK” and coasting on that OK until that further deteriorates. That’s kinda sad.

At least the school bond passed smh

Old 05-19-2022, 10:32 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
I mean we could def use more white collar jobs especally downtown but that takes more then one person to achieve...so greensboro has done great for what it can offer and achieve at this time.. we def are on a good path for future growth.. also u gotta keep in mind the size of Greensboro specifically downtown . Its only a certain size after all and thats not a big size lol.... winstons downtown is puttimg up some very nice things especially the new apts being built... but they are also working on a small foot print and so they mihht just tap out of room for growth sooner then Gso! So in my eyes its good that greensboro is taking it time planning and cultivating and not just building anything just to say they have it...

Old 05-19-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Welp, I guess you all confirmed my theory. There’s clearly a delusion among a part of the voting populace that Guilford/Greensboro is doing “pretty well.”

It’s doing just “OK.” And that’s a weakening “OK” as time passes.

As many of the challenging candidates said, Greensboro is really lagging its peer — or near peer cities — in many categories. Fortunately, the population growth has still been pretty steady (no spikes , no dives) but good gosh, what have you people been observing the past decade?

Guilford/Greensboro has been pretty stagnant and is close to getting lapped by Winston friggin Salem

I guess everyone is OK with “OK” and coasting on that OK until that further deteriorates. That’s kinda sad.

At least the school bond passed smh
So who was running in these races that you think should have won? None of them survived the primary? What ideas and plans do they have to improve the situation? What ideas and plans do you have?

Sure, the past decade hasn't been stellar, but recently there are definitely signs of improvement.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:53 AM

475 posts, read 684,580 times
Quote:
Greensboro native, Page HS and NCA&T alum here --- (much) older family members still there. Greensboro has always been that way. Status quo. I really think it's the most populated city in the country that folks two states away have not heard of or can't "place." I won't say that's "bad," it's just... Greensboro.

I would love to see a real pro-growth, pro-business mayor for a cycle or two. The location and the "relationship" to Charlotte and Raleigh should be fun and fruitful to market/leverage. I don't mean growth for growth's sake or numerical bragging rights --- but there are 300,000 people there, it should look/feel like it to some degree. I'm not just talking aesthetics either --- 98% of my white-collar friends/fellow alumni HAD to leave Greensboro to progress in their fields.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Greensboro native, Page HS and NCA&T alum here --- (much) older family members still there. Greensboro has always been that way. Status quo. I really think it's the most populated city in the country that folks two states away have not heard of or can't "place." I won't say that's "bad," it's just... Greensboro.

I would love to see a real pro-growth, pro-business mayor for a cycle or two. The location and the "relationship" to Charlotte and Raleigh should be fun and fruitful to market/leverage. I don't mean growth for growth's sake or numerical bragging rights --- but there are 300,000 people there, it should look/feel like it to some degree. I'm not just talking aesthetics either --- 98% of my white-collar friends/fellow alumni HAD to leave Greensboro to progress in their fields.

Thank you. Well said.

I had a post in the chamber, ready to fire off and you captured everything pretty much perfectly in your post that either I was gonna suggest or explicitly attempt to convey.

Are you still in Greensboro? Maybe you should run next election cycle. lol Do you need a campaign manager? lol

Old 05-19-2022, 07:44 PM

Other than the very nebulous desire to elect a pro-business, pro-growth Mayor, I still don't see either of you offering any specific, realistic plans to change Guilford County and G'boro, nor pointing to any candidates who are doing so. G'boro has had "pro-business, pro-growth" mayors previously. If that was all it took, G'boro would be Charlotte right now. I suspect the answers are much more difficult than you realize.

Of course, the reality is that not everyone wants to live in Charlotte. And thats ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point