Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:16 PM

936 posts, read 776,602 times

Advertisements

THe other thing to remember isthat in the 50's and 60's, Raleigh and Charlotte were looking up at G'boro and W-S. The world is cyclical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 07:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,922,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Its easy to say that, but where is the dynamic leadership in any other NC city right now? You think Durham is doing its doing right now because the Mayor is so awesome? I mean, come on.

As I've said before, G'boro is doing ok, not great, not terrible. However, the reasons for this were sowed decades ago, as were the reasons Raleigh and Charlotte are currently flying so high. Some of those reasons are random and some are political. But the bottom line is that Vaughan (or anyone else) can only make incremental changes. And those changes (most noticeably the Toyota and airport megasites) are bearing fruit. Its not an instant process. RTP was established in 1959.

I'm simply trying to provide some balance, not pimp for Vaughan. She's certainly nothing special, but its been a while since anyone great ran for a local political office, anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro and the Triad in general has gotten a late start. What you see happening in Charlotte and the Triangle are decades of sowing the seeds in those areas. I do think the two big announcements with Toyota and Boom are a game changer and will set in motion a chain reaction for great things to come. I do think the Triad has the potential to be the state's hub for aviation/aerospace and hi-tech manufacturing. We don't have to become a financial center or a research hub. There is more than one way to "arrive"

Appreciate the attempt, guys. I do. People posting here who are 30+ and 40+ might not see the fruits of Boom and Toyota until theyre getting their senior citizen discounts. And those over that age might not see it at all.

And I'm not sure either of those are "game changers" on their faces, but I do agree it could set some stuff in motion. Boom is really, really the one that needs to take off...pun intended. Let's hope it does.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:55 PM

860 posts, read 431,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Appreciate the attempt, guys. I do. People posting here who are 30+ and 40+ might not see the fruits of Boom and Toyota until theyre getting their senior citizen discounts. And those over that age might not see it at all.

And I'm not sure either of those are "game changers" on their faces, but I do agree it could set some stuff in motion. Boom is really, really the one that needs to take off...pun intended. Let's hope it does.
Not game changers? Toyota is investing $1.3 billion and creating 1750 jobs by 2026. Phase 2 calls for a further investment of $3 billion and the creation of over 2000 more jobs at a minimum and possibly $4.7 billion and 5000 jobs by 2034. These things take time, and though they might not change the game for you personally, they certainly will for the head of a struggling household. And I disagree with your assessment regarding Boom. It was a risk worth taking, but it's far from a sure bet. Just my gut, but I'd put the odds at no better than 50/50. Toyota, and to a lesser degree, the Publix distribution center, bring thousands of good paying jobs with benefits, as well as the ancillary development in these areas, to a local ecomomy sorely in need.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Not game changers? Toyota is investing $1.3 billion and creating 1750 jobs by 2026. Phase 2 calls for a further investment of $3 billion and the creation of over 2000 more jobs at a minimum and possibly $4.7 billion and 5000 jobs by 2034. These things take time, and though they might not change the game for you personally, they certainly will for the head of a struggling household. And I disagree with your assessment regarding Boom. It was a risk worth taking, but it's far from a sure bet. Just my gut, but I'd put the odds at no better than 50/50. Toyota, and to a lesser degree, the Publix distribution center, bring thousands of good paying jobs with benefits, as well as the ancillary development in these areas, to a local ecomomy sorely in need.
Boom is needed to raise the profile of the city in a variety of ways. Toyota doesn’t do that. Motor vehicle plants are cool for bringing on decent paying, blue collar jobs and they really help firm up a city’s economy and employment (particularly when small towns land these plants), but Boom kicking off (or something similar) would really help GSO’s stature (statewide and regionally) in such a way where GSO becomes a destination city of residence and not a pass through, temp living haven particularly for what has been a pretty transient population here: well educated, late 20s and 30s. That’s the demo that really can bring in some novel ideas and new leadership insight.

Also, ideally those 5k jobs would primarily go to the locals. Now unless that was written into some sort of agreement, we know that often doesn’t happen. An influx of newcomers for Toyota plant jobs is cool, but they often might not live where they work (which is counterproductive) and/or the employee base doesn’t lend itself to the citizenry that brings about the dynamism that @j_thomas was referring to. And I say that respectfully.

Depending on the city’s goals, Greensboro needs endeavors such as Boom to jump off to really make that wholistic leap and earn respect in the state and regionally. Boom has the capability to churn out a host of smart, piggyback startups and spinoff companies that could start to raise eyebrows.

Respectfully, there are towns in Bumblefreak, USA that have landed huge motor vehicle plants. But that doesn’t raise those town’s statuses. Although, it firms up their economic base. And that’s fine. Grateful for that. But Greensboro can — and should — be going beyond base level.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:21 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Calling Boom anywhere near 50/50 is highly optimistic. If it does pan out, it's a big deal and it IS a chance Greensboro needs to take. But the chances of it actually panning out are probably 10% or less. I see Boom as a lottery ticket that with being selected, we know we have at least one number that matches.

Toyota is a home run though as far as providing a large number of good paying, stable jobs. The distribution center is probably like a double or triple... and a home run opportunity for many low-income folks in the area as far as earning decent pay and good benefits. These kinds of moves help improve crime rates too, making the area more desirable for other opportunities.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Calling Boom anywhere near 50/50 is highly optimistic. If it does pan out, it's a big deal and it IS a chance Greensboro needs to take. But the chances of it actually panning out are probably 10% or less. I see Boom as a lottery ticket that with being selected, we know we have at least one number that matches.

Toyota is a home run though as far as providing a large number of good paying, stable jobs. The distribution center is probably like a double or triple... and a home run opportunity for many low-income folks in the area as far as earning decent pay and good benefits. These kinds of moves help improve crime rates too, making the area more desirable for other opportunities.
Very fair post here. But I will say for Toyota to be a walk off HR, winning the game for GSO, the vast majority of those jobs need to go to city and county residents. Period.

Often there’s some sort of collaboration with the Tech schools in the county where the plant is located and even the high schools to funnel in workers as a feeder system. Not sure if that happened with Toyota. And if not, there’s probably still time to make that happen. I’ve known of tech schools to develop an entire curriculum to prep future plant workers.

But yeah, IF the Boom lottery ticket hits… Oh. My. Gosh. I think we’d start to see some readily apparent changes in GSO that many have been pining for.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:11 AM

97 posts, read 72,597 times
I'll throw out a specific example of where I see lacking ambition in the city political leadership. Last summer, the council passed a new comprehensive plan called GSO2040. It's a great document, with some lofty goals and a good vision for how Greensboro can transition from a suburban, auto-centric model of growth towards a model focused on walkability, mixed uses, and alternative modes of transit - a model that is far more sustainable fiscally and environmentally. I was really excited to see that plan pass, and to see Greensboro embrace that type of vision for its future.

However, the comprehensive plan has no teeth without an accompanying change in regulations - specifically, the land development ordinance in this case. The current LDO is garbage, and is the basic reason why the entire city feels very suburban in nature - it's illegal to do it any other way! IMO, it needs to go in the garbage can and be replaced by something entirely new. The staff I know in the planning department know all the right technical answers, but are not empowered to implement the necessary changes. Change won't happen unless the city council pushes to make the changes happen. Unfortunately, it seems that the current council (which is now our new council) is content to pat themselves on the backs for modest successes, while our peer cities have run laps around us over the past 10 years.

To me, Toyota and Boom represent an urgent and crucial opportunity. They will drive growth in the region for the next 10+ years, and they have the potential to reshape the city as we know it. What form that growth takes is still up in the air. The status quo is for that growth to be more crappy subdivisions and strip malls on the edge of town, and that status quo will prevail unless this council acts boldly. The glimmer of hope from Tuesday is that the small-town conservative types all lost. We need to press this council to take the necessary steps to realize the vision that they themselves approved in GSO2040.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:34 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Very fair post here. But I will say for Toyota to be a walk off HR, winning the game for GSO, the vast majority of those jobs need to go to city and county residents. Period.

Often there’s some sort of collaboration with the Tech schools in the county where the plant is located and even the high schools to funnel in workers as a feeder system. Not sure if that happened with Toyota. And if not, there’s probably still time to make that happen. I’ve known of tech schools to develop an entire curriculum to prep future plant workers.

But yeah, IF the Boom lottery ticket hits… Oh. My. Gosh. I think we’d start to see some readily apparent changes in GSO that many have been pining for.
To clarify the home run analogy, Toyota is more of a solo shot than a grand slam.

Boom is like having former Orioles slugger Chris Davis up to bat, bottom of the 9th bases loaded down 3.... he batted like .200, but when he connected, that ball was gone.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:09 PM

Really, really strong posts once again from both @j_thomas and @HRVT with a funny and spot on analogy, too. Lol

I really hope this next run of the same old council demonstrates some new vigor and not be content with pats on the back for modest gains.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:08 PM

125 posts, read 160,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
I'll throw out a specific example of where I see lacking ambition in the city political leadership. Last summer, the council passed a new comprehensive plan called GSO2040. It's a great document, with some lofty goals and a good vision for how Greensboro can transition from a suburban, auto-centric model of growth towards a model focused on walkability, mixed uses, and alternative modes of transit - a model that is far more sustainable fiscally and environmentally. I was really excited to see that plan pass, and to see Greensboro embrace that type of vision for its future.

However, the comprehensive plan has no teeth without an accompanying change in regulations - specifically, the land development ordinance in this case. The current LDO is garbage, and is the basic reason why the entire city feels very suburban in nature - it's illegal to do it any other way! IMO, it needs to go in the garbage can and be replaced by something entirely new. The staff I know in the planning department know all the right technical answers, but are not empowered to implement the necessary changes. Change won't happen unless the city council pushes to make the changes happen. Unfortunately, it seems that the current council (which is now our new council) is content to pat themselves on the backs for modest successes, while our peer cities have run laps around us over the past 10 years.

To me, Toyota and Boom represent an urgent and crucial opportunity. They will drive growth in the region for the next 10+ years, and they have the potential to reshape the city as we know it. What form that growth takes is still up in the air. The status quo is for that growth to be more crappy subdivisions and strip malls on the edge of town, and that status quo will prevail unless this council acts boldly. The glimmer of hope from Tuesday is that the small-town conservative types all lost. We need to press this council to take the necessary steps to realize the vision that they themselves approved in GSO2040.
One issue with GSO2040 is that the City Manager left shortly after its passing. Council is a necessary part of the equation, but there also needs to be consistent, invested CMO input and cooperation with Planning and other related departments. Since the City has a new manager (with a Planning background, no less), I agree that now is the perfect time to press for updates and movement. He has expressed what seems to be a sincere wish to hear from residents and City departments about their priorities and ideas. He's listening, so yes, do reach out to the CMO and express your thoughts about GSO2040. We have a Council that supports it overall and a CMO that wants to make his mark. Now is a great time to make yourself heard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point