Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 03:43 PM

395 posts, read 302,381 times

Advertisements

Maybe Greensboros size also works against it.. things being so spread out ...for instance Friendly Center thats surrouded by not much to look at. Same with Revolution mills, amazing complex but outside of it is sketcy, also Wlaker ave, cute small artsy aera but surrounded by unattractive aeras.. ... we got some Gems but they are sprinkled throughout the city surrounded by unatttrative aeras..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 09:17 PM

405 posts, read 320,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer1976 View Post
Just SOME of the cities that DECREASED in population according to the latest census in no particular order:

Atlanta Savannah Jackson Philadelphia Des Moines Akron Mobile
Nashville Louisville Little Rock Pittsburgh Omaha Rochester Boston
Memphis Baton Rouge St. Louis Birmingham Tulsa Buffalo Lexington KY
Baltimore New Orleans Cincinnati Denver Wichita Minneapolis Milwaukee NewPort News Wilmington DE Detroit Seattle Washington DC
Portland Los Angeles Miami San Diego Virginia Beach Macon Shreveport
San Francisco New York San Jose Cleveland Newark Jersey City Kansas City
Chicago Norfolk Richmond Albuquerque Providence Anaheim Springfield
Dallas Indianapolis Asheville Houston Hartford Augusta
Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Houston, NYC, etc. .... LOL. All thriving metros.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:08 AM

9,918 posts, read 7,752,459 times
In regards to growth. I mean traveling in the Triad traffic isn't bad and distance from places isn't far. Reason we enjoy living here. The highways are huge. Taking the bus would take 90 to 80 minutes to get where I need to go.

With a greenway connecting the twin cities. Parts of the route having it's own lane and closed road to vehicular traffic BRT system be amazing. If it only took 60 minutes or less I would ride the bus, have less stops, and not have to to transfer I ride it. Imagine a college, downtown, & mall BRT route, healthcare BRT route from Clemmons to Burlington. A regular bus with more stops to Annie Penn no transfers drops/picks up individuals at Moses Cone Hospital. Shuttle from Piedmont Area that drops individuals off at either downtown of Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Add more commercial flights into PTI.

Connect the cities with a greenway and invest in E-Bikes.

Last edited by RunD1987; 06-19-2022 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2022, 07:29 AM

860 posts, read 431,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
In regards to growth. I mean traveling in the Triad traffic isn't bad and distance from places isn't far. Reason we enjoy living here. The highways are huge. Taking the bus would take 90 to 80 minutes to get where I need to go.

With a greenway connecting the twin cities. Parts of the route having it's own lane and closed road to vehicular traffic BRT system be amazing. If it only took 60 minutes or less I would ride the bus, have less stops, and not have to to transfer I ride it. Imagine a college, downtown, & mall BRT route, healthcare BRT route from Clemmons to Burlington. A regular bus with more stops to Annie Penn no transfers drops/picks up individuals at Moses Cone Hospital. Shuttle from Piedmont Area that drops individuals off at either downtown of Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Add more commercial flights into PTI.

Connect the cities with a greenway and invest in E-Bikes.
These things are all about demand. Airlines aren't a charity, they're run by very smart capitalists. If they could fill more planes at PTI, they'd be doing it. And fortunately, as evidenced by recent announcements, local planners are leveraging the airport's location and capacity in other profitable areas.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:46 AM

9,918 posts, read 7,752,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
These things are all about demand. Airlines aren't a charity, they're run by very smart capitalists. If they could fill more planes at PTI, they'd be doing it. And fortunately, as evidenced by recent announcements, local planners are leveraging the airport's location and capacity in other profitable areas.
I mean PTI would never go off to be a passenger hub more of a port/manufacturing airport. Surrounded by too many other airports. Though if the Counties of the Triad could work together create an effective transportation system either BRT or light rail for the future now that be amazing.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I mean PTI would never go off to be a passenger hub more of a port/manufacturing airport. Surrounded by too many other airports. Though if the Counties of the Triad could work together create an effective transportation system either BRT or light rail for the future now that be amazing.
Yes, agreed. More than anything else though, these visions require demand. And more than anything else, demand requires growth. Personally, I think it's a leap to assume that a majority of Triad residents desire growth on a greater scale than the current trajectory. Slow and steady is much easier to manage than explosive. Again, my personal opinion is that the two greatest limiting factors to growth in the Triad have been jobs and crime. The former is being currently addressed is a positive manner, and I don't think it's debatable. The latter, not so much and it's likely a far more intractable problem with myriad causes. The fact remains though, despite what some here say, is that without other ameliorating factors a city or region with a reputation for crime faces an uphill battle in attracting those best able to help with the move forward. The causes and remedies for crime in the Triad are beyond the scope of this post, but if the posters in this forum are representative of the local population, then recognition of the problem poses an initial stumbling block. It seems to be an odd blind spot. I've already heard that "Greensboro doesn't have a reputation for crime". And "it's only in a few bad areas". A Google search of Greensboro and crime can put the first to bed. And let's not even get started on High Point. And with the egregiously high rate of violent crime in Greensboro, these "few areas" are either very large or very dangerous.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 2,018 times
Why do people want growth, look at south charlotte, it used to be great now it's a mess...

Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy123 View Post
Why do people want growth, look at south charlotte, it used to be great now it's a mess...
It's debatable. In my opinion, I'd prefer job growth in an urban core stimulating affluent suburban population growth. Coffee shops, bars and bowling alleys downtown excite Millennials, but I'll take a high-rise full of taxpayers. The real beauty of Northern cities is the vast sea of middle class prosperity beyond their borders.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:43 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Light rail is a non starter in the Triad for the foreseeable future. It's massively expensive and would not provide the ROI for Greensboro or Winston-Salem due to the lack of density. Sure, the goal would be TOD, but you generally need at least a few dense areas to start with.

I do think BRT done right could be highly beneficial.

Overall, crime is an issue. While it's not as widespread as some will lead you to believe on here, it's also not just a few small pockets and the bad areas are BAD (similar to High Point which has sort of a high crime side of town (South) and a low/moderate crime side (north).

Old 06-20-2022, 10:36 AM

395 posts, read 302,381 times
In my opinion, greensboro has more sketchy aeras then decent aeras. I dont like driving past 9 around greensboro if i can help it. I feel theres only a handful or less of places ,id feel safe past 9 at.. new garden, friendly, battleground .. but even then to get back to my house i have to take lees chapel which is iffy....im only 40 by the way, but im not blind and i def see alot more aeras that i wouldnt want my car to break down in ...heck thou even the kohls parkng lot near the cookout on battleground is turning into a teen hangout.. alot of cars with apparnetly no mufflers zooming around the parking lot ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point