Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2022, 12:16 PM

395 posts, read 302,381 times

Advertisements

I mean if u look at it from a multifamily housing business standpoint. U have got the nice "luxury apts such as the ones at Friendly center, downtown and revoluntion mills. They are going in the 1000s for a one bedroom. And people are leasing them. So now u have the older garden style apt complex owners thinking hey, we could up our rents to 850 for a one bedroom and still be cheaper and " affordable"...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 12:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
I mean if u look at it from a multifamily housing business standpoint. U have got the nice "luxury apts such as the ones at Friendly center, downtown and revoluntion mills. They are going in the 1000s for a one bedroom. And people are leasing them. So now u have the older garden style apt complex owners thinking hey, we could up our rents to 850 for a one bedroom and still be cheaper and " affordable"...
The latter is where we currently stand. 6 years ago, when we moved to HP we found a fairly nice 2 bed 2 bath apartment for less than $900/month. The same place goes for $1200-1300/month now.

But our two bedroom 2 bathroom place in Virginia Beach before that was $1300/month... and now it's almost $1800 so skyrocketing rent is a nationwide problem. Heck, the shoebox I rented in Maryland (Silver Spring) 10 years ago was $1100. Now it goes for more than $1400... and that's with area going way downhill and a highway (toll road) being built practically across the street since I left.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:46 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,922,184 times
Quote:
I mean if u look at it from a multifamily housing business standpoint. U have got the nice "luxury apts such as the ones at Friendly center, downtown and revoluntion mills. They are going in the 1000s for a one bedroom. ..
Which are realistically overpriced ...let's be real. Look at the occupancy of those properties. I guarantee a good deal of empty units. I know it's Friendly Center and downtown... but if youre coming from a larger city, where, granted, higher rent was probably paid, you'd look at those areas and question why you're paying a luxury tax.

And Revolution Mill definitely should NOT be on the luxury price wave. The optics around it are horrible. There's really nothing to write home about in walking distance. Cmon... who do these people think they are?!!!

If I was in the market to stay in any of those locations, I'd opt to either buy or rent where it's cheaper on the periphery of the city. There's nothing particularly compelling about ANY of those locations, especially RM. ANd it's a shame because those rates are artificially driving up the rent market because I'm fairly certain the demand doesn't warrant the rate hikes for these "luxury" units.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:33 PM

395 posts, read 302,381 times
I agree, I do love the resturants at RM , but outside of the compound is nothing to warrent the price tag of those apts. If i wasnt a home owner and had to choose an apt complex, id choose one that was on new garden and drive over to RM to enjoy the resturants. Or drive over to friendly to shop. Although i do see the friendly center apts have more going for them then the RM.The friendly center ones could probably justify their price...as for living downtown. I feel like our downtown caters to the college age crowd more. I wonder if people in their 40s and 50s would want to live in our downtown? Or if they would prefer to live 15 to 20 min away and drive downtown when they wanna do something thats downtown. Which brings me to.center point condos.. i wonder how full that complex is. With those price tags its gotta be more middle age or older living there.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I wonder if people in their 40s and 50s would want to live in our downtown? Or if they would prefer to live 15 to 20 min away and drive downtown when they wanna do something thats downtown. Which brings me to.center point condos.. i wonder how full that complex is. With those price tags its gotta be more middle age or older living there.

I would really like to know the demo of downtown residents because I have zero clue. I'd also like to know about CenterPoint as well.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:25 AM

Welp… that’s that. Hope y’all are happy with what could be more of the same after last night’s election. Hope there’s a recount in the Mayor’s race. Ms. Vaughn has to know she’s on borrowed time with how close the race was (despite a horrible turnout and a lower budget, meager ground game campaign run by her challenger). If she decides to run again without any noticeable improvements to the city and her challenger is competent, she’ll likely lose.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:45 AM

97 posts, read 72,597 times
^Agree that it was quite disappointing to see the status quo prevail last night. That said, many of the challengers were equally uninspiring - there seemed to be several of the small-budget, small-town-thinking conservatives that IMO have held this city back in the past. I would have loved to vote against my district incumbent, but the challenger was even worse. There is a distinct lack of dynamism and ambition in the political leadership of this city.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
^Agree that it was quite disappointing to see the status quo prevail last night. That said, many of the challengers were equally uninspiring - there seemed to be several of the small-budget, small-town-thinking conservatives that IMO have held this city back in the past. I would have loved to vote against my district incumbent, but the challenger was even worse. There is a distinct lack of dynamism and ambition in the political leadership of this city.
If there was ever a post that I wanted to click the “Rate Positively” icon a million times over for, then it’d be your post quoted above.

You captured the state of things so incredibly well in a few sentences.

That last sentence REALLY brought it home… my gosh, where are the dynamism and ambition?!!! That’s really more sobering and disheartening and disappointing than the turnout numbers.

I think it was gsoboi or maybe Aristotle who said GSO has historically been really apathetic. If so, then that’s so tough to deal with because I feel GSO has so much more potential to NOT be that way. But maybe I’m the one who’s delusional. Maybe this is — and what will always be — GSO’s ceiling. Smh.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:02 PM

936 posts, read 776,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
If there was ever a post that I wanted to click the “Rate Positively” icon a million times over for, then it’d be your post quoted above.

You captured the state of things so incredibly well in a few sentences.

That last sentence REALLY brought it home… my gosh, where are the dynamism and ambition?!!! That’s really more sobering and disheartening and disappointing than the turnout numbers.

I think it was gsoboi or maybe Aristotle who said GSO has historically been really apathetic. If so, then that’s so tough to deal with because I feel GSO has so much more potential to NOT be that way. But maybe I’m the one who’s delusional. Maybe this is — and what will always be — GSO’s ceiling. Smh.
Its easy to say that, but where is the dynamic leadership in any other NC city right now? You think Durham is doing its doing right now because the Mayor is so awesome? I mean, come on.

As I've said before, G'boro is doing ok, not great, not terrible. However, the reasons for this were sowed decades ago, as were the reasons Raleigh and Charlotte are currently flying so high. Some of those reasons are random and some are political. But the bottom line is that Vaughan (or anyone else) can only make incremental changes. And those changes (most noticeably the Toyota and airport megasites) are bearing fruit. Its not an instant process. RTP was established in 1959.

I'm simply trying to provide some balance, not pimp for Vaughan. She's certainly nothing special, but its been a while since anyone great ran for a local political office, anywhere.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:19 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,265,850 times
Greensboro and the Triad in general has gotten a late start. What you see happening in Charlotte and the Triangle are decades of sowing the seeds in those areas. I do think the two big announcements with Toyota and Boom are a game changer and will set in motion a chain reaction for great things to come. I do think the Triad has the potential to be the state's hub for aviation/aerospace and hi-tech manufacturing. We don't have to become a financial center or a research hub. There is more than one way to "arrive"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point