Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 11:13 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,932,599 times

Advertisements

East Greensboro, man… my gosh. It just really kinda hit home riding around there that large, large swaths of east Greensboro are starting to look like a 3rd world countries due to decades of neglect. Desperately needs to be some investment over there. Fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2024, 05:45 AM

6,176 posts, read 7,286,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
East Greensboro, man… my gosh. It just really kinda hit home riding around there that large, large swaths of east Greensboro are starting to look like a 3rd world countries due to decades of neglect. Desperately needs to be some investment over there. Fast!
If the city can deal with homelessness, attract more higher paying jobs for east Greensboro residents, maybe over time that can help change the perception of the area and we'll see more retail and development on that side of town. However there is the elephant in the room in regards to this issue. Its considered the "black" side of town so there is a racial element to this which is often more perception based. The minority side of town in virtually all cities happen to be the lower income side of town. Low income areas and crime tend to be related and unfortunately that is associated with minorities in a lot of people's mind even though crime can be a factor regardless of race. You don't know how many times I've heard people say don't go across the tracks or don't go south of Gate City Blvd. And its typically where the black neighborhoods begin. But like I said, unfortunately its more perception than reality. There are pockets of crime in some of these neighborhoods, but the reality is most are safe.

But everything is demographics based when it comes to retail and development. For example, You'll never see a Starbucks in east Greensboro unless its on NC A&T's campus. Krispy Kreme had opened a location in east Greensboro about 15 years ago and it closed shortly after it opened. Not sure why it closed because everyone loves Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and this was at a time before the cost of a dozen shot up to over $20. So I'm not sure why it closed.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-08-2024 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-08-2024, 06:53 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,932,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If the city can deal with homelessness, attract more higher paying jobs for east Greensboro residents, maybe over time that can help change the perception of the area and we'll see more retail and development on that side of town. However there is the elephant in the room in regards to this issue. Its considered the "black" side of town so there is a racial element to this which is often more perception based. The minority side of town in virtually all cities happen to be the lower income side of town. Low income areas and crime tend to be related and unfortunately that is associated with minorities in a lot of people's mind even though crime can be a factor regardless of race. You don't know how many times I've heard people say don't go across the tracks or don't go south of Gate City Blvd. And its typically where the black neighborhoods begin. But like I said, unfortunately its more perception than reality. There are pockets of crime in some of these neighborhoods, but the reality is most are safe.

But everything is demographics based when it comes to retail and development. For example, You'll never see a Starbucks in east Greensboro unless its on NC A&T's campus. Krispy Kreme had opened a location in east Greensboro about 15 years ago and it closed shortly after it opened. Not sure why it closed because everyone loves Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and this was at a time before the cost of a dozen shot up to over $20. So I'm not sure why it closed.
Perception definitely can become reality and comparatively speaking to cities of similar size, no, the crime isn’t that bad. However, the optics … the optics aren’t pleasing at all. Greensboro, save the west and southwest and north sides, is far … very far from the most polished looking city and the wear and tear becomes ever more apparent as the years continue to pass, but there are parts of the eastside that looked like a bomb went off.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 4,686,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

I'm not sure why the Krispy Kreme would close either but their overall expansion efforts have stalled in NC, while ironically Dunkin Donuts has been expanding here. I like Krispie Kreme over Dunkin's woodlike donuts but there are a number of mom and pop donut shops that do better than both.

As far as the east Greensboro area, I do have a friend who worked for many years at the Food Lion on East Market Street, and unfortunately that location had one of the highest shrinkage (shoplifting) rates in the area. But it would be harder to discreetly steal a donut unless someone tried to do it by force, which seems ridiculous.

As to the overall situation in East Greensboro (and I'm a little hazy on the definition of where that would start because if you're talking about everywhere south of Gate City Boulevard, that would include Four Seasons and the area out by Wet N' Wild and K&W Cafeteria, which I would consider more South Greensboro). As far as some of those areas undergoing years of neglect, I think part of it is due to something that I realize may not be popular to say.

But in the 1980's and 1990's downtown really needed the public resources and attention to be put into it because other than the universities a little bit further away, the core central business district was eerily empty after the offices shut down at 5 PM. Now, with so many other areas that have extreme needs, and all of the gentrification and money that has flowed into downtown, I don't know that this is the place the local government needs to continue to prioritize with putting so much of its investment resources into it the same way it did in 1990 since private capital has been flowing into that area very differently than it did 30 or 40 years ago.

The areas that really need the attention as far as Greensboro is concerned are places like East and South Greensboro whose "claim to fame--or infamy" are keeping Greensboro's violent crime stats high. But I'm not sure that the rich and powerful of the city are ready to make that shift, despite how much they may like to talk about being equitable and inclusive.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

705 posts, read 517,843 times
Lots of scaredy cats on this forum.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

866 posts, read 440,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Greensboro set a record last year with 74 homicides. In a city of 300,000. Growing up in Boston, was I afraid of Roxbury and Mattapan? Is the Pope Catholic?

Last edited by TunedIn; Yesterday at 06:30 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

242 posts, read 244,537 times
Quote:

A lot of hyperbole for sure.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

866 posts, read 440,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
A lot of hyperbole for sure.
Boston, a city of over 650,000, recorded 37.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

516 posts, read 518,147 times
Quote:
You ain't lyin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point