Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city was more historically prominent?
Winston-Salem 20 83.33%
Greensboro 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 06:19 AM

385 posts, read 288,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Interesting video I found that breaks down the differences between the two cities.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=m9OvEQ9LbAw&feature=shares
That's was a good video.. I do think however that u could live comfortably and enjoy the amenities of Greensboro making in the 40,000 range. At least in 2023 lol. Also I went to Friendly Center yesterday and saw where American Eagle was finally opening up a store there.. I have always wondered why they weren't there to begin with! I'm assuming they will close their four seasons mall location which would be another brand chain store leaving that mall if that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 08:08 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
That's was a good video.. I do think however that u could live comfortably and enjoy the amenities of Greensboro making in the 40,000 range. At least in 2023 lol. Also I went to Friendly Center yesterday and saw where American Eagle was finally opening up a store there.. I have always wondered why they weren't there to begin with! I'm assuming they will close their four seasons mall location which would be another brand chain store leaving that mall if that's the case.
I agree but it is getting more difficult for people making less than $40,000 a year especially with rising rent. The average in Greensboro is about $1,000 per month now.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:29 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Interesting video I found that breaks down the differences between the two cities.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=m9OvEQ9LbAw&feature=shares
Great video, although I don’t agree with Greensboro being dirtier, I’d say it’s just more urban and that spreads outside of downtown. When I lived in GSO, I’ve heard many transplants describe Greensboro as being very urban like New Jersey, and after visiting Jersey, I could not count how many times I felt like I was back in GSO, so I agree with that. It has that same urbanity as Durham, Winston, although with a vastly more developed and bigger downtown(and imo a better skyline than Raleigh…), feels like it’s closed off from the rest of the city, where as greensboros natural urban fabric and density has the downtown cohesively joined with the rest of inner city.

If that makes sense.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:37 AM

Ohhh I didn't take into consideration renting.. I'm a home owner with a fixed mortgage under 700.00 i definitely can see where one would need to make in the upper, probably 48,000 range if they are going to be renting in Greensboro with the way the rent prices are these days. Sometimes I like to look at old apt complexes i use to live at just to see the price points
These days . Funny how some of the complexes have turned "Luxury" .. lol makes me feel good to think I have lived in luxury apt complexes in the past and didn't even know it at the time lol.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,052,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Ohhh I didn't take into consideration renting.. I'm a home owner with a fixed mortgage under 700.00 i definitely can see where one would need to make in the upper, probably 48,000 range if they are going to be renting in Greensboro with the way the rent prices are these days. Sometimes I like to look at old apt complexes i use to live at just to see the price points
These days . Funny how some of the complexes have turned "Luxury" .. lol makes me feel good to think I have lived in luxury apt complexes in the past and didn't even know it at the time lol.
I lived in Silver Spring, MD for a couple years about a decade ago. My old 1 bedroom there was $1100/month give or take. Right before I moved, they did a week-long renovation of my apartment while I was living there. They changed the flooring, changed the appliances/cabinets, and added new lighting. The place felt nicer but was really the same dump it was before.

I looked a year later and they were already charging $1400/month for a similar unit. Nowadays, they charge like $1800. And yes, they brand their now 50 year old apartment complex as "luxury"... all by making a few cosmetic improvements.

And I'm sure it still costs like $300/month to heat in the winter. The price of luxury I imagine.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:11 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Great video, although I don’t agree with Greensboro being dirtier, I’d say it’s just more urban and that spreads outside of downtown. When I lived in GSO, I’ve heard many transplants describe Greensboro as being very urban like New Jersey, and after visiting Jersey, I could not count how many times I felt like I was back in GSO, so I agree with that. It has that same urbanity as Durham, Winston, although with a vastly more developed and bigger downtown(and imo a better skyline than Raleigh…), feels like it’s closed off from the rest of the city, where as greensboros natural urban fabric and density has the downtown cohesively joined with the rest of inner city.

If that makes sense.
There is less development outside of downtown Winston-Salem also. When you are driving west along business 40 towards Winston-Salem there is nothing but trees and then all of a sudden you are downtown. I do think Winston-Salem has a better downtown street grid layout.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
There is less development outside of downtown Winston-Salem also. When you are driving west along business 40 towards Winston-Salem there is nothing but trees and then all of a sudden you are downtown. I do think Winston-Salem has a better downtown street grid layout.
I feel like the Innovation quarter should continue to grow into east winston, I do see the trend with the new urban apartments, but winston could really benefit from developing down near university, it has an urban fabric near the colosseum, I always thought that area needs residential and a kick in the pants, it’s also a perfect gateway into downtown on cherry st, instead of building big box shopping centers outside of downtown, they need to focus on urban developments in the inner city, downtown is going in the right direction, but I can’t say the same about the rest of winston. As for Greensboro, it’s the exact opposite, downtown needs a kick in the pants, outside the downtown is good urbanity for a city it’s size, all the main artery roads feel like a city punching way above 300.000 people, but with so many failed projects downtown due to city leaders that didn’t want change, Greensboro missed out big time, I was really looking forward, because the ball park area could have been Greensboro’s version of south end, but then Covid happened, but I will say, the triad of today is making much smarter decisions, and I see it blossoming in the near future as other cities become way too overpriced.

As for who is much historical?

As a black man, and regardless of the sit in, I still say Winston, winston pretty much paved the way for what became of North Carolina today, honestly it’s underated, centuries ago, it’s a much more historic and prominent city, old salem as a matter of fact.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:48 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
Quote:

If that makes sense.
Urbanity isn't a term I would associate with Greensboro. What part of Jersey were you in?

The problem with Winston's downtown is it is hemmed in with expressways to the South and to the East. It flows pretty well to the west all the way to the Hospital area.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:58 PM

378 posts, read 204,066 times
Quote:
I feel like the Innovation quarter should continue to grow into east winston, I do see the trend with the new urban apartments, but winston could really benefit from developing down near university, it has an urban fabric near the colosseum, I always thought that area needs residential and a kick in the pants, it’s also a perfect gateway into downtown on cherry st, instead of building big box shopping centers outside of downtown, they need to focus on urban developments in the inner city, downtown is going in the right direction, but I can’t say the same about the rest of winston. As for Greensboro, it’s the exact opposite, downtown needs a kick in the pants, outside the downtown is good urbanity for a city it’s size, all the main artery roads feel like a city punching way above 300.000 people, but with so many failed projects downtown due to city leaders that didn’t want change, Greensboro missed out big time, I was really looking forward, because the ball park area could have been Greensboro’s version of south end, but then Covid happened, but I will say, the triad of today is making much smarter decisions, and I see it blossoming in the near future as other cities become way too overpriced.

As a black man, and regardless of the sit in, I still say Winston, winston pretty much paved the way for what became of North Carolina today, honestly it’s underated, centuries ago, it’s a much more historic and prominent city, old salem as a matter of fact.
What does this mean?

Between 1900 or so until the early 1990's, Greensboro and Winston-Salem (or the "Triad" collectively) was the dominant area in NC: Tobacco-Textiles-Furniture-Banking/Insurance. However, globalization generally, and NAFTA specifically, were a gut punch to the area. Charlotte continued to thrive and grow under revised banking rules (and prominent local leaders) and the Triangle area thrived in tech, higher education and life sciences. Note that neither Charlotte's, nor the Triangle's economies, were decimated due to globalization / NAFTA. Quite the opposite. Since 1992, both have exploded in terms of economic development.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem are both wonderful cities, and are striving to drive their economies into the 21st century. They will get there, and they are making great progress. In the meantime. I wouldn't debate as to which one was more prominent, or clean/dirty.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Both University Parkway and North Point Blvd could use a good face lift in Winston Salem! Greensboro downtown need to start being more cohesive in their image... Nothing really flows together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point