Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2023, 12:51 PM

21 posts, read 16,368 times

Advertisements

Every morning I get up, start my coffee, and fire up the local GSO news, and within seconds I find myself muting the sound and turning on the Close Captioning, because the coverage seems so fluffy.
Occasionally they will hit on a story that prompts me to raise the volume, but most of the time I find their reporting bland.
I realize I am a curmudgeon (Get off my lawn!), but how do others feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 08:45 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,922,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignorePaolo View Post
Every morning I get up, start my coffee, and fire up the local GSO news, and within seconds I find myself muting the sound and turning on the Close Captioning, because the coverage seems so fluffy.
Occasionally they will hit on a story that prompts me to raise the volume, but most of the time I find their reporting bland.
I realize I am a curmudgeon (Get off my lawn!), but how do others feel?
No it’s not just you. The triad product is very average at best. Just tough to watch. I assume everyone is doing their best, but it’s just not translating. I feel like it used to be better yeeeears ago. Also keep in mind, many media folks have been laid off and/or bolted for other employment fields. The budgets are shoestring and it shows more in the smaller markets.

If you ever go to a smaller market and see a really good product you should send them an email because it’s tough to do in today’s day and age. I’ve seen it happen but it’s rare.

I’d say predictably, Charlotte and Raleigh have the best mainstream local news in the state.

Old 04-04-2023, 02:03 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,392,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
No it’s not just you. The triad product is very average at best. Just tough to watch. I assume everyone is doing their best, but it’s just not translating. I feel like it used to be better yeeeears ago. Also keep in mind, many media folks have been laid off and/or bolted for other employment fields. The budgets are shoestring and it shows more in the smaller markets.

If you ever go to a smaller market and see a really good product you should send them an email because it’s tough to do in today’s day and age. I’ve seen it happen but it’s rare.

I’d say predictably, Charlotte and Raleigh have the best mainstream local news in the state.
WRAL in Raleigh makes some interesting documentaries.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:47 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,265,850 times
I grew up on WFMY News 2 in Greensboro back when Lee Kinard and Sandra Hughes were anchors. It was the best news source then but their news stories have gone down hill over the years and now I watch Fox 8 News WGHP in High Point. They have more relevant local news stories.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:26 AM

395 posts, read 302,381 times
I think the only people that watch actually news channels now are the boomer generation.. Im 41 and get 99 percent of my news from online sources or at the TV screen at gas station pumps lol.. sometimes ill glance up at it at the gym. I really could see tv news ancher as a career that will not exist in the future. Same with new papers. Why get them when u can see it. All free online.. I honestly couldn't picture the new generation having a desire to hold a news paper or glance at a person showing weather patters on a TV screen.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:30 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
I think the only people that watch actually news channels now are the boomer generation.. Im 41 and get 99 percent of my news from online sources or at the TV screen at gas station pumps lol.. sometimes ill glance up at it at the gym. I really could see tv news ancher as a career that will not exist in the future. Same with new papers. Why get them when u can see it. All free online.. I honestly couldn't picture the new generation having a desire to hold a news paper or glance at a person showing weather patters on a TV screen.
I mean I'll have the news on sometimes.

As background noise or as the programming that happens to come on after whatever I was actually watching before.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:42 AM

125 posts, read 160,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post

I'm a young Gen Xer who has lived in/around large cities before coming here. I still watch local news a lot - usually while working from home or in the background while drinking coffee/reading the paper (online version). I also have a lot of local Millennial (full range of ages in the generation) friends who watch local news. Every single one of agrees that WFMY is the best local news, though. It can be a bit fluffy at times, but they're still a good source for local news. To be fair, the news is relevant to our jobs and I've always been a little bit of a news junkie, local and national. It probably just depends on personality and lifestyle.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 16,368 times
I guess the wave of the future for local news is what we have at WXLV ABC45 with anchor Camilla Rambaldi, who also sits at the anchor desk for Sinclair Broadcasting's Fox San Antonio.
It takes a bit of digging to learn that her gig for the Triad is actually remote, from San Antonio, where she currently resides.

Last edited by SignorePaolo; 04-14-2023 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: added two words for clarification

Old 04-15-2023, 03:37 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,265,850 times
Going back down memory lane. I found a collection of WFMY News 2 intros throughout the years. Looking at those, I see several reporters/anchors who have passed away.

https://youtu.be/7eRrQbIiFLg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-15-2023 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point