Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 2,001 times

Advertisements

I moved from a smaller city in the Northeast US to Winston Salem. One thing that I noticed about the culture here is that on a regular basis I find when I am out in public, like at a store, one or more people in a group will laugh at me. This has happened in the Northeast and other places I lived but only occasionally and typically when there was something to laugh at, like I dropped something. Here in Winston Salem it happens often when I walk by people or after I talk with someone. It's very annoying. Is this typical of the culture here? Also noticeable to me is that there is an underlying "dog eat dog" mentality where people are very "hard nose" and rude. Sometimes people say things here to me that are offensive, like what kind of a person I am, when they don't know me at all! I make judgements about people too but I would never express anything negative out loud. Really this happens to me. I believe I am not mistaking it. I never experienced this in the Northeast but I have heard of it happening in the big city suburbs from relatives.

Does anyone else find this to be true of Winston Salem?

I will also add that there is also a much stronger "help your neighbor" attitude here in Winston Salem, overall. It is surprising to me that I get subjected to the rudeness I described yet I often see the community helping people in need, which is a good thing. In the Northeast it is not so much practiced overtly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

943 posts, read 788,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwillsw View Post
I moved from a smaller city in the Northeast US to Winston Salem. One thing that I noticed about the culture here is that on a regular basis I find when I am out in public, like at a store, one or more people in a group will laugh at me. This has happened in the Northeast and other places I lived but only occasionally and typically when there was something to laugh at, like I dropped something. Here in Winston Salem it happens often when I walk by people or after I talk with someone. It's very annoying. Is this typical of the culture here? Also noticeable to me is that there is an underlying "dog eat dog" mentality where people are very "hard nose" and rude. Sometimes people say things here to me that are offensive, like what kind of a person I am, when they don't know me at all! I make judgements about people too but I would never express anything negative out loud. Really this happens to me. I believe I am not mistaking it. I never experienced this in the Northeast but I have heard of it happening in the big city suburbs from relatives.

Does anyone else find this to be true of Winston Salem?
I lived in W-S for 8 years and never experienced anything like that, nor did I ever see that happen to anyone else, nor frankly can I imagine that ever happening. I'm sorry you are experiencing that.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,516,307 times
I’ve never encountered anything like this in W-S.

Old Today, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 2,001 times
Thanks. Well, I will say that it is mostly younger people who do this, like under 30 but also some older. If I had to guess it's that I come from a culture that is significantly different in many ways. I have a different style of clothes (Northeastern upper scale look) my communication in this culture is different, my accent is different and just my demeanor (which I hope is mature) attracts dislike from a certain classes of people. Still that's no reason to be rude to others.

Today I was surprised when I went by group of young people. I thought they might throw something at me, like what happened to me recently, but instead all waved and I waved back. I thought "Now those are good people". So also maybe because the population is much larger here I have interactions with a larger spectrum of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: