Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 146,685 times

Advertisements

I understand totally to what you are saying and that may be true no matter where you go it can be unsafe. But If you don't know something don't you ask. That's why I founded interest in this forum to ask those who live there and may have been there. It's always nice to ask those who live there. We all here crazy stories about different cities.
But wouldn't you want to know something about a place where you are looking to move. I was told to ask the people who live there. Thanks for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Out of curiosity, the people who hear such horror stories about the South (and not, apparently, about other regions)... The people who tell you these stories; have they actually been TO the South since 1970?
I would guess that there is not a single US city of more than 100,000 people where one is generally unsafe because of one's ethnicity. Similarly, I would also guess that there is also not one without a section of town where one's ethnicity can invite problems from ignorant locals.

Blacks are fleeing northern cities in huge numbers to return to the South. We must be doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM

21 posts, read 146,685 times
Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the information. It seem when this question is asked because one don"t know, many get upset. I don't ask the question to offend no one but would like to know that my daughter would be safe. Why would you put your foot in the hot coal when you know that it"s hot? Don't know ask! Yes no matter where you go we all have to use common sense and I am sure my daughter would do that. I guess it's a mother love for her daughter being away from home.

Quote:
When I read many of these posts from people who have "heard" bad things about the South, I'm reminded of children of immigrants, who were warned by their parents of the gangs of American criminals who throw drugs at people on the streets, and of the people who, to this day, say I'm crazy for eating Chinese food because "you know there's cat in it!"

A&T has several new apartment communities around it. The Aycock neighborhood is full of nice homes, duplexes & triplexes to rent. Property crime isn't low close to the school, but I lived there for most of my youth and never worried about violence or racism. I was never concerned for my safety walking alone at night. A young woman, though, should exercise common sense in any neighborhood.
Traffic is negligible.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, the people who hear such horror stories about the South (and not, apparently, about other regions)... The people who tell you these stories; have they actually been TO the South since 1970?
Well, the Greensboro Massacre was in '79. Charlotte re-segregated their schools 10 years ago and Wake county followed suit last year. There's still tension, much of it now coming from Northern whites who fled minorities in cities up there before moving South. NC's ahead of the curve in many respects compared to other Southern states, but there's always room to improve.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,275 times
You are safe. Race crime is not directed much at couples at their homes unless they have pissed off someone. The random act is always there. Granted we still have those dumdasses. You will feel like you are being looked at a lot. Fairly normal. Change is slow.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM

231 posts, read 713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Well, the Greensboro Massacre was in '79. Charlotte re-segregated their schools 10 years ago and Wake county followed suit last year. There's still tension, much of it now coming from Northern whites who fled minorities in cities up there before moving South. NC's ahead of the curve in many respects compared to other Southern states, but there's always room to improve.
And yet none of the nations most segregated urban areas are in the South.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I am wondering if Greensboro area safe for Black/white couple with children?

Well....let's see now.....UNC-G (my alma mater), N.C. A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro College, and if you count in a 50 mi radius, Wake Forest, N.C. State, Duke U., U. of N.C. @ Chapel Hill, N.
C. Central U., Elon College and N.C. School of the Arts. This is an educated southern enclave, far fewer redneck kneejerk reactions.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Charlotte did not "resegregate" its schools - good grief.

Charlotte is a huge spread out metro now and more people (white AND black) prefer their kids to go to school in their neighborhoods or near to them, rather than sit on a stupid school bus an hour a day just to attend a school with complete racial balance.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte did not "resegregate" its schools - good grief.
That's precisely what they did. The plaintiff in the case challenging Swann was a klan member and the federal judge who ruled in favor of CMS was an anti-busing activist (aka segregationist) in the 70s.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM

231 posts, read 713,066 times
hahahahaha...
It's not re-segregation, silly.
They're separate, but equal. Some more equal than others.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

29 posts, read 49,050 times
Just stay in Greensboro please!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point