Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,331 times

Advertisements

I know this is a rather broad question but I would like some opinions of nice areas close in to conveniences in the 500,000-600,000 range. By conveniences I mean nice grocery shopping, coffee shops, restaurants, healthcare. I would like to be 5-10 minutes from daily routines things. Also, what are good exercise/ healthclub suggestions. This is just my husband and I, our children are in college and 1 out of college. General descriptions of different areas or subdivisions would be nice. And maybe areas that are more open to transplants. We grew up in Missouri but have lived in NJ for 16 years and finally get to move on!! We have always enjoyed NC when we visit friends and vacation at the Outer Banks so the thought of moving to NC is quite exciting to us.

In addition, if anyone has comments on Winston-Salem vs. Raleigh/Cary area as far as pricing and amenities that would be helpful as we can move to either. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,310,255 times
If you are considering Winston-Salem take a look at "New" Sherwood Forest (e.g. Glousman Rd @ Willow Way) and Camelot (e.g. Marble Arch Rd) in Winston-Salem (27104). The nicest areas of New Sherwood Forest (which is a very large area on the west side of Peace Haven Rd) range up to $750K+, but are mostly in the $300k-$500K range. Camelot is adjacent to New Sherwood Forest with most exclusive custom homes starting in your range or above and going up to $2MM-$3MM+. This entire area is very convenient to everything you mentioned and a whole lot more.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,273,437 times
I don't know about Winston, but in Greensboro area check out Sunset Hills (West Market area) and Oak Ridge and Summerfield.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 AM

525 posts, read 2,124,336 times
Lake Jeanette and the surround subdivisions may have what you need- the area is growing growing growing with shops and such. Newer homes as well.
Sunset Hills has beautiful older homes closer to downtown.
Oak Ridge and Summerfield (Northwest and North of Greensboro) have the newer homes with larger lots and well and septic if you want a little more privacy.
Let me know if I can help.
Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Default home in $550 range near Winston-Salem

I really want to be near Winston, not Greensboro. I would like to be near medical facilities and possibly in an area where in-ground pools are allowed. Although after fixing up 5 previous houses I don't want a house that needs total updating so newer is better. Then again, I don't want a new "cookie cutter" subdivision with no charm. I first started looking in Cary, and the reason I didn't feel settled just looking there was because it seemed difficult to find places that felt like little towns or neighborhoods instead of roads of group housing. I know there must be options out there, I just have to find them Any other suggestions of streets, areas, neighborhoods, etc. but mostly centered close to nice shopping, healthcare, etc. Thanks again

Old 08-26-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmo View Post
I really want to be near Winston, not Greensboro. I would like to be near medical facilities and possibly in an area where in-ground pools are allowed. Although after fixing up 5 previous houses I don't want a house that needs total updating so newer is better. Then again, I don't want a new "cookie cutter" subdivision with no charm. I first started looking in Cary, and the reason I didn't feel settled just looking there was because it seemed difficult to find places that felt like little towns or neighborhoods instead of roads of group housing. I know there must be options out there, I just have to find them Any other suggestions of streets, areas, neighborhoods, etc. but mostly centered close to nice shopping, healthcare, etc. Thanks again
I've given you an excellent are to look at that meets all your needs. Please check it out - I think you'll find something you'll be pleased with.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Dear Kooter,

Yes, it appears your suggestions are very good ones. Do you know if these areas are still building at all? I have had a bit of a time finding any listings. It does appear that Coldwell-Banker might be in charge of Sherwood Forest so I guess I will try calling them. If you have any further info please lmk as we are planning to be there next week. Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmo View Post
Dear Kooter,

Yes, it appears your suggestions are very good ones. Do you know if these areas are still building at all? I have had a bit of a time finding any listings. It does appear that Coldwell-Banker might be in charge of Sherwood Forest so I guess I will try calling them. If you have any further info please lmk as we are planning to be there next week. Thanks again.
I suggest Prudential Realty. Prudential is the realtor that deals mostly in the higher price class neighborhoods.

The area is mostly built with very few available lots still available...mostly being in Camelot. The New Sherwood Forest area ranges from the 1980s to newly built. The entire area is highly desirable with certain niches being even more so. I lived on Glousman Road near Willow Way in a small (niche) area of New Sherwood Forest that is called Willow Glen. The homes range in age from 1985 to new and range in price from $400K to $1MM+.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 31,693 times
Hi! I am originally from New York. Have lived in what we call the Triad area for most of my life and love it. There are many many areas with the price range you are looking at with the amenitites you would like to have. Raleigh vs Winston - I'd go with Winston/Greensboro/High Point Area. Kernersville is where I live now and it's now called Heart of the Triad. I guess the reason I'm leaving Raleigh area out has part to do with all the colleges in the area.
The triad area has more of a sense of community. Oak Ridge area is another good one. It's lacking a fitness facility, but with the recent growth in this area, give it time. It's still close to Greensboro, High Point and Kernersville within 15 minutes and you would be at a fitness center.
I changed careers last year moving into Mortgage Lending and Real Estate, yes, I know not hte best time to make a career change! It is what it is though. I live on Belews Lake and there are some nice developments along the lake. These would be within 10 minute drive to stores.
Good luck to you, you will love North Carolina!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-27-2008 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM

29 posts, read 101,169 times
Another suggestion is to ask for a Listingbook account from whoever you are working with in real estate. It's a superior way of window shopping online and you can receive it free through your Realtor. Or me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point