Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 22,269 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to the area next summer, haven't narrowed it down yet between W.S., Greensboro, or High Point, but I am concerned about religious diversity issues. Perhaps I'm not looking in the correct sites, but it seems like there are so few Catholic churches around. I realize that the south is Protestant and the area has a large Baptist population which is fine with me, but will I be welcomed as a Catholic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 AM

702 posts, read 2,519,468 times
The Triad is a little unique in N.C.regarding religion. Winston Salem was founded by the German settlers who brought the Moravian religion to American in the mid 1700's. There are dozens of Moravian churches in the city and it is the U.S. headquarters for the Moravian Church. I would say it is comparable to Catholicism, lots of ceremony in the service. Greensboro is the Southern regional headquarters for the Quaker Church, or they call it Friends Meeting. It's a cool religion too, very Protestant but more inclusive and accepting than Baptists. The one big thing about Quakers is that they believe in non-violence...war...consciencous objectors. It's stated somewhere as one the foundations of the Quaker religion. Okay tomorrow we'll cover High Point...no, I don't know much about H.P. and religion. There is a fairly large Catholic population in W-S. I'm only familiar with one church and it's in Clemmons...I have been there a few times, my girlfriend in high school was Catholic. Holy Family Catholic Church...it's a pretty large congregation. The one I know of downtown is Our Lady of Fatima. There is also Bishop-McGinness Catholic High School in W-S.

I hope I've shown you some religious diversity in the area. Moravian is just as prominent in W-S as Baptist and SO much nicer. Quaker is prominent in both W-S and Gso...oh yeah, there are lots of Methodist Churches too, and Presbyterian, and Episcopalian, and Lutheran, and a couple of Synogogues. There is even a Church of Scientology and some far east religions (taoism?) in W-S All of these are far less radically conservative than Baptists.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,912,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomie View Post
We are planning to move to the area next summer, haven't narrowed it down yet between W.S., Greensboro, or High Point, but I am concerned about religious diversity issues. Perhaps I'm not looking in the correct sites, but it seems like there are so few Catholic churches around. I realize that the south is Protestant and the area has a large Baptist population which is fine with me, but will I be welcomed as a Catholic?
You and your family should be fine in North Carolina.

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Religion/images/relfg2L.gif (broken link)

Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Thanks

Your input has been helpful. The fact that there is a Catholic high school there says a lot about the community.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM

26 posts, read 93,890 times
Default Kernersville

There is a Private Catholic School High School called Bishop McGuiness in Kernersville NC
that's right in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem
I'm told Grades 1-8 can go to school at the Church in Greensboro -Our Lady of Grace
St Pius is a Catholic Church/School in Greensboro not sure of the grades
I know some folks that go to Holy Cross Church in Kernersville, I've been there a couple of times for funerals. It is a huge place, very beautiful.
We live in the country,,,horses for neighbors...I was real surprised when
about 4 miles away in the middle of nowhere this humongous place was built called St. Frances Retreat (partial name-they may want to remain private)
I thought by the name that was a Catholic place, but I'm told it's a mix .
I do know 3 women from one of those places I mentioned above went there for vacation.
There is one in Eden NC...I think it's called St. Joseph's
That's off the top of my head...I'm sure there are tons more

Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,912,409 times
Some additional Catholic schools:

Charlotte Catholic High School
7702 Pineville-Matthews Road
Charlotte, NC

Holy Trinity Catholic Middle School
3100 Park Road
Charlotte, NC

Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic School (PK-5th Grade)
4225 Shamrock Drive
Charlotte, NC

St. Ann Catholic School (TK-5th Grade)
600 Hillside Avenue
Charlotte, NC

St. Gabriel Catholic School (K-5th Grade)
3028 Providence Road
Charlotte, NC

St. Mark Catholic School (K-8th)
14750 Stumptown Road
Huntersville, NC

St. Matthew Catholic School (TK-5th Grade)
11525 Elm Lane
Charlotte, NC

St. Patrick Catholic School ( K-5th Grade)
1125 Buchanan Street
Charlotte, NC

Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School
1725 NC Hwy 66 South
Kernersville, NC

Asheville Catholic School (K-8th Grade)
12 Culvern Street
Asheville, NC

Immaculata Catholic School (K-8th Grade)
711 Buncombe Street
Hendersonville, NC

Immaculate Heart of Mary School (K-8th Grade)
605 Barbee Street
High Point, NC

Our Lady of Grace School (K-8th Grade)
2205 West Market Street
Greensboro, NC

Our Lady of Mercy School (K-8th Grade)
1730 Link Road
Winston-Salem, NC

Sacred Heart School (K-8th Grade)
123 North Ellis Street
Salisbury, NC

St. Leo Catholic School (K-8th Grade)
333 Springdale Avenue
Winston-Salem, NC

St. Michael Catholic School(K- 8th Grade)
704 St. Michael's Lane
Gastonia, NC

St. Pius X Catholic School (K-8th Grade)
2200 North Elm Street
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Bishop McGuinness must have moved to K'ville then...it used to be downtown in Winston Salem, but Kernersville is a W-S suburb so I guess it still is in the metro area.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Thanks

My kids are grown so I'm not interested in Catholic grade schools, but it does tell me something about the community. I just mentioned that a place having a Catholic high school was interesting to me because it indicates a fairly secure Catholic population. Catholic grades schools aren't unusual, but high school are, so a place that has one must be well established in the community. Actually, the funny thing is that I'm not that "good" of a Catholic, it's just that I wouldn't want to live someplace where it would be held against me. Sounds like I'd do fine in that area.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 AM

It's very tolerant in W-S, especially when it comes to religion. That's not to say that you might not run into a freak or two, just like anywhere else in the world. My long post earlier was just letting you know that Baptists aren't the main religion...there's a lot of diversity.

I noticed of the other posts were concentrating on information about Catholic churches and people...I didn't THINK that's what you asked. Happy moving!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
...Salem was founded by the German settlers who brought the Moravian religion to American in the mid 1700's. There are dozens of Moravian churches in the city and it is the U.S. headquarters for the Moravian Church. I would say it is comparable to Catholicism, lots of ceremony in the service.
Not really...Episcopal/Anglican is the closest you can get to Catholic while still being Protestant (and they're pretty common in all of NC, especially larger towns).
The Moravians' closest cousins religion-wise would be Methodist & Lutheran. Just add alot of Czech/German cultural background & music heritage, and that's the only main difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point