Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM

525 posts, read 2,127,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemel View Post
Just got back from visiting the Greensboro area. Beautiful area, wonderful and friendly people ...I will have no problem living there. I think we have narrowed down the area to NW Guilford county. Northwest High School is extremely well rated, even nationally recognized. Northern is a very new High School, but have heard nothing but good. My husband has no problem commuting as long as the schools and neighborhood are good. I am not sure why the NW schools get better scores. Good question for natives of the area.
We will be actually visiting the schools in the near future to get a "feel" of them. Sometimes a school can be highly rated but not very welcoming.
Don't forget the new Northern High School district, which is a brand new state of the art school that folks seem to be really wanting their kids to attend. So if you look in North GSBO, Summerfield or Brown Summit, you will be covered. Great elementary schools there too. Def check the report cards and then visit not only the neighborhoods but the schools as well. NW has gotten a little crowded due to its popularity.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,847,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Hasty Elementary, Ledford Middle and Ledford High in Thomasville are supposed to be good schools. Their scores are good.

If you don't mind living further west than that, the north Davidson County schools are good. Welcome Elementary, North Davidson Middle and High. I think kids in north Davidson County can also go to Clemmons Elementary, but I'm not completely sure.

If you want good Greensboro schools, you'd have to go to the northwest part of the county. Some of the Kernersville schools are good also.
Greensboro Page used to be one of the top academic high schools in the state. Has that changed somehow?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 37,046 times
We are definitely interested in the Northern Schools especially since they are smaller in size than Northwest HS. And they are newer. We are going to visit the area WITH our kids in the next few months and have them also visit the schools. It really is hard moving with kids in the upper grades, there is so much information that "native" people take for granted that people moving in have no idea about. I know this to be true even in the area where we live now. There are certain areas of town I would never live in...the homes may be nice and the schools look good, but the area has a "rep" among the "natives" that it is "cooler" to live in other areas. Why? there are never any obvious reasons they just aren't the "cool" areas.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,847,854 times
I would definitely check out the West Forsyth/Reagan High area of Lewisville and Clemmons in southwest Forsyth County. Not just because I'm a product of West Forsyth, but it is a nice environment in a nice community...and Chris Paul is also a product of West Forsyth.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,074 times
Default Moving also.

[Hi, I just read your post about moving to the Greensboro area, have you moved yet, what more have you found? We are moving in the next 6 weeks or so and I am beginning the search now on these websites, school sites, etc. I would love to know if you have found anything of importance. Where are you coming from? We are living in Minneapolis now, and I am a little nervous about the whole relocation... If you would be willing to talk about it, let me know. Thanks. Lisa

Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 37,046 times
Isgb...we just listed our house here and will wait till that sells. I have mixed feelings I would love for it to sell quickly, but that means we have to move and we love it here. We are aiming for next summer but it might sell faster we have had alot of interest. My hubby commutes now. I still would love to get your impression since your a mid-west gal when you get there.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,233,155 times
I have a few friends/Moms at Tumblebees who all raving about Caldwell Academy and Greensboro Day School. Apparently there are waiting lists for both! Our family can't afford that kind of private school education, but even so, keep things on filter mode. Even those schools have their kids stuffed into trailer schoolrooms I've heard. I want a low student-teacher ratio for our child...So far we are just at the preschool level, but I'm looking. Good luck with everything! We just got here in May and I'm still confused to be honest with you.

OH --- if you want to apply/register for public school you need to have it done by FEBRUARY! That's the deadline I here! Like, preschool programs, etc. I love the Westerwood neighborhood too, and Lindley! *sigh* I would LOVE to live in a craftsman, or bungalow home and walk her to school every morning, that would be awesome!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point